Runny Poo

Beardie name(s)
Queso
My bearded dragon Queso’s poo is really runny and it leaves a bit puddle around it. I’m not sure what it is or what to do. I saw it could be parasites or malnutrition, but I don’t know which one. He is currently shedding and this is a pic of the poo. It is not recent, but you can still see the puddle. I’m worried. Is it parasites, or malnutrition, or unsanitary cage? Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 47

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon Queso’s poo is really runny and it leaves a bit puddle around it. I’m not sure what it is or what to do. I saw it could be parasites or malnutrition, but I don’t know which one. He is currently shedding and this is a pic of the poo. It is not recent, but you can still see the puddle. I’m worried. Is it parasites, or malnutrition, or unsanitary cage? Please help.
The extra fluid is excess and is normal - has the poop been sitting there for a while cuz it looks dried out --

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
I was out of town and my friend sent me the photos and I guess didn’t clean the poo out. Thank you for the reply!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
The excess liquid is normal— I’d be more concerned with the urate. Does he get any orange, pink, or red foods in his diet? What do you feed his insects? It could just be dyed by the food he eats, I know that happens to my boy from time to time.

Alternatively, it could be a sign of over supplementation. Could you go over your schedule for supplements are? Do you use calcium with or without D3? What UVB fixture do you use? And what are your temperatures— how do you read them?

It COULD be a sign of parasites, but before we jump to conclusions we should rule out all the possibilities first.

it COULD be a sign of parasites but first we should rule out all possible causes

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
10 crickets a day, flukers cricket feed for the crickets, freeze dried mealworms, dried omnivore mix, and water. The freeze dried and dried stuff gets mixed with repta calcium with d3 in it. Hot side of enclosure 102 f cool side 89 f. I’ll include a pic of uvb light

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 27

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
10 crickets a day, flukers cricket feed for the crickets, freeze dried mealworms, dried omnivore mix, and water. The freeze dried and dried stuff gets mixed with repta calcium with d3 in it. Hot side of enclosure 102 f cool side 89 f. I’ll include a pic of uvb light
Alright, so we have a couple of things that could have caused it. First of all, is the Flukers cricket feed the orange cube kind? Those often cause discoloured urates, in fact it happened to my beardie in the past.

Second, I would get calcium without D3. D3 is a valuable nutrient for sure, but a beardie will get all he needs from proper UVB which I’ll talk about next. Too much D3 can cause discoloured urates. Again, happened to me.

Thirdly, I advise you to replace that UVB with either a Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia T5 tube lamp. Coil bulbs (like you have there) and compact bulbs are insufficient and jeopardize your reptiles health.

Make sure your UVB covers 1/2 to 3/4 of his enclosure, once you get your hands on one of the two I’ll flag the lighting guru of this forum to help with distances.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great information. The most important thing for reptiles is heating & lighting. As recommended,
try to get your UVB light upgraded as soon as you can. Otherwise, he wont be able to properly
absorb his calcium or other nutrients.
Is he active right now, & basking?

Tracie

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
Right now he’s just chilling in his log, and he’s always been kind of lazy. If I come in and feed him some crickets or just play with him he’ll get more active.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Right now he’s just chilling in his log, and he’s always been kind of lazy. If I come in and feed him some crickets or just play with him he’ll get more active.
Low activity levels, in this case, is almost 100% caused by improper UVB. Please replace it asap with one of the two I’ve recommended earlier,

QuesoTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Queso
Ok. Are any under 40 dollars? Also, is it normal for his poo to smell absolutely horrible? He just did a big pile and it is stinking up the whole room. Should I take him to the vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok. Are any under 40 dollars? Also, is it normal for his poo to smell absolutely horrible? He just did a big pile and it is stinking up the whole room. Should I take him to the vet?
Take the fecal into the vet NO ENEMAS please-- 24 hr sample- you can get a sunblaster nano tech off the hydrobuilder website - you will need the 2ft fixture and change the bulb out to a reptisun 10.0 T 5 22" bulb-- the fixture is $32 the bulb is around $23-25 I believe

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is enemas?
When they stick something up their vent to get them to poop-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom