Rule of thumb for Hornworms? (Safe size)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I ended getting some hornworms from a long time seller and they come fairly small but will grow some before they get here. My question is that I heard Hornworms can be 4" and a juvenile/adult can eat them no problem is this true? I don't mind buying big ones or growing them in their cup but I worry they will constipate my beardies or they may choke due to them being 4" long

Appreciate the feed back

Note: I tried once and it got me thinking so I don't go past 2" hornworms anything bigger I release in my garden

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since they are so soft, most dragons can chew them down pretty easily. An adult can eat a full size worm without much issue. I think that as long as your dragon doesn't seem to have any issue chewing them up, then it's no problem. I haven't seen constipation be an issue. Sometimes the opposite if they eat too many since they are so hydrating.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Since they are so soft, most dragons can chew them down pretty easily. An adult can eat a full size worm without much issue. I think that as long as your dragon doesn't seem to have any issue chewing them up, then it's no problem. I haven't seen constipation be an issue. Sometimes the opposite if they eat too many since they are so hydrating.
Ok I know depending on the size of the hornworm my beardies can put them down the hatch without much chewing. If they are bigger they have occasionally "popped" them before they completely swallow them. We are talking 3-4" worms though but between 1"-2 1/2" they down them without much chewing

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom