Ruben Miso & Billy! RIP Ruben

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Ohhhh I'm sooo happy you brought home another rescue! He soo needs someone like you that will give him all the love he needs.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind words.
Im still full of excitement and nerves!

What a beautiful family you have Tatty. Cooper is a sweety. Ive been following him on another thread ^_^

He(still no name!) has behaved very well this morning. 15 minutes after lights on he came out of his hide and up onto his basking spot and made the teeny tinyist pancake for me.
Half an hour later I tried him on live feeders but he was uninterested. I have tiny locust and he only ate them yesterday when I held them down. This morning he didnt seem interested so I gave up after 10 minutes and made him his salad. The second he saw that shiney salad bowl his head shot up into the air.
GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE WOMAN!
He attacked it like there was no tomorrow.
He's had half the bowl and has gone back to basking (I made him a much bigger salad today considering his preformance yesterday).

He's showing some medium shade stressmarks today (which werent there yesterday) but Im hoping thats just because his torso shed has started to come away.
He darkened his beard at me after his bath. It wasnt a full black beard, but it was darker.
Is it just because he is itchy?
I really need to know im not upsetting him!!!

Now I know two baths a day is good for shedding dragons, but considering he is still new to me should I just make it one bath?
He has been very relaxed in baths thus far.

Im going to keep trying him on live feeders throughout the day, but i was wondering if I should perhaps kill them and leave them in his salad bowl?
He's not mobile enough to hunt them at the moment.

Holly

Tatty

Juvie Member
I hope every day gets him more adjusted. He is a lucky baby. I would probably kill the insects and put them in his salad. The bath process would be at your own discretion. Mine like two baths a day. Do you have a shower. Mine really love the shower. This stressses them less than a bath because they can get in and out of the stream as they please.

Tatty

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Well he wasnt having any of his morning bath and lept right out so he'll have to have another proper one later in a container with higher sides!

Is it normal for him to have a greyish beard at the bottom?
He's in full shed at the moment, but Ive never actually had a dragon who's shed before so Im worried the beard isnt normal.
Is it something to be concerned about?
Any responce would really help put my mind at ease.

Holly

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
His beard is probably just getting ready to shed. Bogie goes all shades of grey and whiteish when he sheds. Also he won't touch his live feeders when he is shedding. So I wouldn't worry too much. :D He is in a new home and he's shedding. Next week he'll prob be eating everything in sight! :lol:

Sandy H

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hi Holly,

I agree with Sandy H, I wouldn't worry about the bearding, esp. since he's sheding, in a new place and getting used to "great care". It's great that he's eating his salad, although he may slow down with that too.

Any cuddling today?

Christine

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks you two.
I do tend to go into headless chicken mode when my babys a little upset... not matter how much 'calm down' type advice I myrself dole out!
Poor baby's shed is starting to come away on his back and tummy.

Yup he's wolfed two bowls of salad today and finally accepted some live feeders although he can only manage about 3 per sitting which ive been offering to him every few hours.
Thats fine for now, but when I go back to University I wont be able to hand feed him all day so Im thinking of killing them and leaving them in a bowl for him insted.

I want to see a nice buddah belly by new years :blob5:

Cuddle wise Ive been taking it slow with him.
He seems to watch me all day long (he is in our office and he is opposite my desk) with interest and has been tolerant of being held so far.
He's been perfectly happy on my lap whilst I bribe him with salad.

Im trying to hold back and not try to smother him with love too quickly so he freaks.
But its hard to be mature when I WANT CUDDLES AND WUGGLES!!!!!
I havent tried the burrito yet because being in full shed Id imagine it to be a very itchy experience for him.

Holly x

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hi there,
No Jiffy its not like that, but it was only a spattering of grey. Like he was attempting a beard but couldnt quite manage it.
But thank you for trawling through to find the picture for me.

Update:

He is doing well and is exploring alot more. He even ventured up onto the ramp which is his hides roof.
As JaspersMom pointed out he seems like he is still getting used to his limbs.

He's eaten a ton of salad a and alot of locusts (wooohooo!)
He gave me a huge fright though as when one locust wriggled loose from my fingers and landed about 4 inches away from him he flicked his tail and FLUNG himself forward like a bullet!
It made me shoot about a foot in the air with fright!
Little tyke tired himself out with that move and went back to allowing me to trap the locusts on the ground for him.

Oh I am rambling. Im sure your not that interested but I just want to share absolutely everything he does, because absolutely everything he does fascinates me! hehe.

Well, Ive caved. My little one has been named Ruben.
I wasnt crazy about the name, but my partner loves it.
When Dex passed away, even though my partner didnt hold Dex often, he was torn up and sobbed his heart out with me.
In our 5 years together Ive only seen him cry twice.
I feel like this would be a nice way of honoring the love he had for Dex by letting him make this decision.

Holly

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Aww, I was hoping it would be like the pic, and that way we would know for sure about the beard. I took out the pic to not take up space in the thread, I was just hoping you would see it and say "yeah, that's it" o and then know you could breath easier.

I am so glad that he is eating for you. He sounds like quite the character.
I like the name Ruben, and it was sweet of you to let your bf name him. He sounds like a good guy.
So glad you are making progress with Ruben, keep us updated on the little guy.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just read this whole thread, Holly and I'm SO happy for you, Ruben and your partner that I have tears in my eyes. Ruben is the sweetest thing, I just want to squeeze him. :love5: He is so alert and curious about everything. The setup looks great. It's amazing and wonderful that he's enjoying his roaches and salad so well.

Now I'm about to answer your pm. Congratulations. :p

Tatty

Juvie Member
I am so happy for the three of you :D . Glad he is eating so well. What a blessing you both are for each other. It must be pleasant weather in your area if you can capture locusts? Where do you live? Our midwest weather is taking a dump again with the wind. It's up to 40 mph and lines are breaking with the ice. Another storm on the way Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm more worried about a temperature fluctuation for Tatty's eggs and not knowing where to take them because of power outages and below zero weather. Most of my family is out of power now except for us. I am currently snuggling with my threee babies.

J.E. aka Tatty :)

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks everyone ^_^
I think Ruben is stealing hearts already.

+ No chance Diamc - those cheeky chops are all mine to squeeze! hehe.

I know! Im highly suspicious at this little creature who loves his greens.
I think he is luring me into a false sense of security.

Tatty I didnt mean that I was catching wild locusts, I meant I was chasing them after Id opened the lid on their box! They are so bloody tiny and leap about a foot each bound. Not fun!
Im in England so Id be more likely to catch a penguin than a wild locust here hehe ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom