Rubbing legs on sides when walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtvenom

Hi, I have a six year old bearded dragon. I'm not sure if any of you remember her but a couple of years ago she ate a lightning bug and almost died. But after a long hospital stay and lots of bills she pulled through. Then after she ate three of her fingers off. Luckily she hasn't done that again ever since and they have healed completely. After that she became egg bound and had to have one of her ovaries removed. I've noticed she walks weirdly. She's been doing this for awhile but I was wondering if this is normal. Is she just fat? I tried to get a video of her walking, I'm not sure if this helps. But she walks and the upper part of her legs kinda rubs on the sides of her stomach. Also, the doctor wasn't sure of the side effects all of those medicines that were used on her during the lightning bug incident.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I think she is just really fat. There is a video on youtube of a dragon going down a flight of stairs, its build the same as yours and its legs rub too.

svtvenom

Original Poster
I feel like shes almost purposely scratching it tho, like its uncomfortable. Is she really that fat? lmao

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yeah, she is pretty round. She moves her legs normally, her belly is just in the way. Does she eat a lot of protein? In all honesty, I would try and get her to loose some weight.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I remember this famous dragon that survived a lightning bug encounter ! I'm glad that she's still going strong. :) I agree with Gail that she is overweight, she actually looks like she's carrying eggs because her tail + legs are not proportionately hefty, it's just her belly.

svtvenom

Original Poster
How can I tell if she needs to lay eggs? She isn't digging or anything. If she is egg bound again, I might want to put her down. Last time when they took out one of her ovaries, the doctor used a very strong anesthesia and even then, when she starting cutting her stomach, she started moving her legs. I felt so bad, she could feel her cutting or something! She said she was surprised she was still alive after being egg bound like that, it had been that way for a few months. I think she's some kind of mutant super lizard. Maybe a side effect from all drugs from the lightning bug event. Never getting a female reptile again.Too many problems with laying eggs. :|

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, she may be a super mutant/bionic beardie after recovering from all of her calamities. :) But don't do anything drastic, she may just have a large tummy from being very well fed, and may also have a propensity to have weight gain there just like some people do. If she became eggbound she would definitely act sick, so if she's had the big belly for a while now it's probably just her shape at the moment.

svtvenom

Original Poster
Don't worry I'm not going to run out and put her down out of nowhere. I love her. She eats and poops. She doesn't bask too much and is kinda lazy but shes been like that for 2-3 years.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They should have removed both ovaries instead of just one while they had her under. It sounds like they didn't use enough anesthesia though, that is too bad, poor thing!
She is one tough lizard, too. I agree, she could be carrying eggs because it doesn't look like the fat pads under her arms are terribly large.
Some females just have trouble with egg laying whie others don't have any problems at all.
Are you using a good UVB light & calcium supplementation for her?
I remember her surviving a lighting bug ingestion, that is so wonderful!

Tracie

svtvenom

Original Poster
I remember the doctor saying that one of they ovaries was too close to a major vein or something like that? I can't remember the exact details. She had said she used a very strong anesthesia so I'm not sure why she felt it. I'm using a reptisun 10.0 and I give her calicum 4-5 times a week.

svtvenom

Original Poster
Hi everyone..

I just wanted to inform you guys that I had to put Lola (the lightning bug survivor) down yesterday. She was 6 years old. A couple days before we put her down, she wouldn't eat. I didn't think anything of it because sometimes she had her days where she didn't want to eat. Now that I think about it, she was more active than usual. Almost like she wasn't comfortable. Sunday morning, her beard was very black. She never black beards.. The last time she black bearded was when she almost died due to the lightning bug. She has stains coming from her nose of pink fluid and she started vomiting everywhere. She always was pooping at the same time as vomiting. Her eyes were VERY sunken in. I rushed her to the ER and luckily the same vet who had saved her from the lightning bug incident was there. She said the pink fluid was because she was bleeding internally. We decided to put her to sleep because she said she felt a huge mass in her belly. I didn't want to put her through another major surgery/issue. She has had so many problems. The doctor asked if she could do a autopsy after she was gone, and I approved. She called back later and said that there was a huge tumor in her intestines and even if we did more testing at the time, we couldn't have saved her. I just wanted to let everyone know, even if you can save them from eating a lightning bug. I don't think it's a good idea since we had no idea what side effects it could cause. I feel like the reason she ate her own toes, became egg bound, and ended up with a huge tumor could have been caused by those medicines. She had never been the same after the lightning bug incident (behaviorally and psychically). I'm just happy she's pain-free now. She was the best beardie and she was definitely a fighter!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news! :( Thankfully she didn't suffer long but you got her in right away and made the right decision. And even if she acted differently after the lightning bug, she still had a decent quality of life, and what the outcome would be [ and why she developed a tumor ] no one could know. Please accept all my sympathy, you were a good beardie parent + she had a good life with you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom