Roxy is only 2 weeks old

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother purchased our second beardie this past weekend, she is apparently only 2 weeks old (approx 4-5 inches). The man she purchased her from said that she eats about two crickets ever couple of days, is this correct? Is there anything else we can give her at that age? He said she wouldn't eat veggies till approximately 6 months.

Lenny is 1 and a half and I purchased him at that age so I don't know how to advise my mom about such a tiny dragon. Lenny's diet consist of fresh greens twice a day with calcium and dragon food. crickets and butterworms... and a super worm (once a week)

I saw roxy eat a cricket yesterday, but just one and they're so little that i'm afraid it's not enough.. could i cut a butter worm up (i know this sounds gross but I want to make sure she eats enough)

Thanx Everyone

P.S. Lenny is about a foot and a half...is that a good size for him?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Ohhhhh I hate that Roxy was sold to you sooo early.

Here's my take on it - take it or leave it.

Baths... TWICE A DAY. Babies are soooo important to keep hydrated.
Crickets - 3 times a day. Let them eat all they want in a 10 minute period. Don't feed her in her tank. Get a seperate container to do this in.
If you can order - phoenix worms - these things are amazing and will do wonders for your little baby. They are sooo easy on their tummies and won't cause parasites.
Offer greens EVERYDAY that are chopped finely. Sometimes they will eat, sometimes now. My dragon was that little and he liked steamed squash. I would grate it and nuke it for just a few seconds and would gobble it down.

Make sure you have the RIGHT UVB light. Either Repti SUN, Mega Ray or at a loss for the last one.

Please please do these things... babies die sooo fast if you aren't careful. My first baby died after having her 3 weeks, I didn't know what I was doing. Make sure you do calcium and a multi-vitamin with it too. Although if you do the phoenix worms, it will supply the calcium.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Congrats on your new baby beardie!!

I will start off by saying the man who you got your beardie from definitely misinformed you about it's feeding schedule. Babies actually need to be fed alot !!! Your baby beardie should be eating 3 times a day. You said you're feeding him crickets, you will need to feed him those 3 x a day, all the crickets he can eat in a 10-15 minute period of time. you should also be dusting the crickets with a calcium supplement 5 x a week and a multivitamin supplement 2 x a week. You only need to dust them for one of the feedings per day. The crickets for your baby need to be NO bigger than the space between his eyes. You should also offer fresh veggies daily to your baby, whether he eats them or not. They don't always take to the veggies right away, but they still need to be offered daily.

As for your adult, Lenny(cute name) his diet should consist mainly of fresh veggies(preferably dark leafy greens). An adults diet should be 80% greens/veggies and 20% live feeders(crickets,worms,roaches,etc..). Lenny needs 30-50 live feeders per week, feedings only being once a day. He needs calcium dusting 2-3 x a week and multivitamins 1-2 a week.

Beardies grow at different rates...but Lenny sounds like he is doing well at approx. 18" for a 16 month old adult.

I hope this helps... :D

Dawn

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Sorry Sunkist....I saw that you had already posted, but I went ahead and posted mine so they could have a feeding schedule for Lenny also. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom