Roundworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
So I gave a fecal to the vet and Milo has roundworms :( , and apparently a lot of them. He's going to be on meds soon, but I'm a little unsure of what roundworms exactly are, how does a beardie get them and are they similar to pinworms? Also, are they contagious? Thanks, oh Milo also went on antibiotics which took care of the RI. Poor little guy...

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Roundworms are ascarids. Just another one of the parasites beardies can pick up. Chief got ascarids at 4 months old. We took him to the vet and gave him a treatment and he is nice and healthy today. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Every dragon gets parasites as some point. We've just got to be sure we take the proper action in time.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
It can come from almost anywhere. It's hard to pinpoint. It can come from feeders, it could come from poop staying in the viv too long, which sometimes happens to those of us who work or go to school, stress also lowers their immune system and could allow for parasites to breed successfully. I wouldn't stop feeding the roaches just because he got parasites unless it becomes a problem too often. Every dragon gets them, no matter how clean you keep their viv or what you feed them. Just make sure you check them for parasites at least once a year and treat them accordingly. But of course, feeding them clean feeders from a trusted source and keeping their viv clean always helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom