Rory, Bevo, Cash, Sasparilla and Peach....Updated 11/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to move this from the intro section to the Beardie Tales section so I could keep better track of my beardies since it's not really an introduction anymore.

Rory- My first beardie! I bought her from petsmart on a whim. I had originally planned on buying from a breeder but when I went in she was bouncing up and down on the windows watching me move around and begging me to take her home so I obliged. I got her on March 6th and she was only about 3.5 to 4 inches long, I did not measure her but she was about the length of my pointer finger. I am not sure of how old that would make her but she seems to be growing well. My guess would be about 3 weeks so she should be approaching 29 weeks and she is 16 1/2 inches long now so she seems to be growing well. She has shed and developed some coloration I was not expecting. Here are some Rory pics:

Meeting Daddy:
DSCN2826.jpg

All tuckered out:
DSCN2931.jpg

She thinks she is hiding lol:
DSCN2946.jpg

Bevo- I fell in love with Rory and knew I wanted another one. I had no idea at the time she was female when I got her and had been kind of hoping for a male. I was interested in something a little older that I wouldn't feel like I was going to break every time I held it. I had scoured cragislist for weeks with nothing and then one day hit the jackpot. Someone's kid had gotten tired of their beardie and the work it was taking and they had pics posted. Now this poor guy was 9 months old and 17 inches living in an enclosure that was far too small, on sand with a 60w house bulb for basking that was ten inches from the highest point in the cage and only being fed mealworms and the occasional cricket every other day because that is the schedule they were told. He got a bath once a week and sprayed occasionally and the only veggies he was getting was lettuce and some carrots. In their defense they had been told by the petsmart "experts" this was the right care and so that is what they had been doing. I gladly paid them for him, brought him home and got him into a 40 gallon breeder with proper lighting and feeding schedules. I have noticed he will drink from his dish when he thinks I am not looking sometimes so that must be how he survived all that time without dehydration but the second I look at him he freezes. He had not been held much they said because the kid was afraid of him but from the moment I stuck my hand in and let him lick it he has been comfortable with me. I love Rory but Bevo has become my everyday hangout buddy. He has gained a noticeable amount of weight and I have not measured him since the first day I got him but I am betting he has gotten a little longer. He is eating great on dubia, crickets, a lot of different greens and I am trying out some silkies and hornworms this week. He is a great little guy and spends a lot of time on his leash hanging out with me. He has shed recently and revealed even more orange on him. The orange he has on his beard and sides looks like what we call burnt orange in Texas and so we named him after the UT mascot. Bevo pics!

First time I held him he freaked a little:
DSCN3006.jpg

Get that camera outta my face!
DSCN3009-1.jpg

About a week and a half after coming home:
DSCN3009.jpg

First time on his leash:
100_0044.jpg

Peach
- I purchased her from Bloodbank. She is a hypo italian leatherback! Barry was super nice and worked with me on pricing and we cut a deal for her! She has outgrown Rory who is a full month older than her and eats like a pig. She was a biter all the way up until a month ago and she has suddenly developed a really sweet temperament! Thank GOD! My fingers were starting to wear out lol

DSCN4392.jpg

Cash- I just ordered this little guy today. He is a hypo silkback from Kaizen Reptiles. He worked with me on the pricing and let me have first pick of a a clutch he had not even listed yet because there was some confusion on me emailing him and the one I originally wanted was sold before I could get in contact with him. I am actually happy that happened because the other one had tail and toe nips and this guy was perfect condition and because he wanted to make room for newer additions he cut me a huge discount! He will be shipped tomorrow and be here the next day so here are the only pics I have right now!

Hypo2.jpg

Hypo1.jpg

Sasparilla- Rilla for short. Howlin Gale Dragons rescued this little girl and I adopted her. We just started out journey today but she is gorgeous and just as sweet as Rory is.

DSCN5167.jpg

DSCN5164.jpg

Well there are my beardies! I will edit as they grow! below will be some other random pics I currently have.

206883_1514305277012_1815861169_930163_317749_n.jpg

DSCN3010.jpg

DSCN3007.jpg

DSCN3011.jpg

DSCN2943.jpg

DSCN2940.jpg

DSCN2825.jpg

DSCN2818.jpg

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So we got our bloodbank baby yesterday and she is gorgeous. My camera sucks so I can't seem to get any really good pictures of her. She is very skittish so I am keeping contact to a minimum for now until she settles in and gets used to me but I am holding her at least once a day for a few minutes after her bath and feeding. She bit me twice this morning when I reached in to get her lol I am sure to her she thought she was scary lol We named her peach after the princess in the mario series and for the custom vivs we are building we came up with different themes for all of our beardies. Bevo will have his painted up like a football stadium for his namesake, the UT mascot. Rory is going to have a piratey, beach theme. Princess Peach will have hers painted like a castle from mario with one of the little toadstool guys sayin, "I'm sorry mario. The princess is in another castle." All the cage accessories will match the theme for each cage. My wife came up with all these so I can't take credit but I think they rock so this weekend while I help finish them up with the wiring and stuff she will be out shopping. (Of course lol) So here are some pics:

Peach:

DSCN3338.jpg

DSCN3334.jpg

DSCN3333.jpg

DSCN3346.jpg

DSCN3345.jpg

DSCN3344.jpg

DSCN3351.jpg

Bevo

DSCN3340.jpg

DSCN3339.jpg

DSCN3329.jpg

DSCN3325.jpg

DSCN3319.jpg

Rory

DSCN3337.jpg

DSCN3336.jpg

DSCN3324.jpg

DSCN3323.jpg

DSCN3322.jpg

DSCN3321.jpg

DSCN3320.jpg

falcor33

Juvie Member
you have a wonderful beardie family, they are all beautiful!!! thank you for sharing the stories and pictures!! :blob5:

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
falcor33":10imeehm said:
you have a wonderful beardie family, they are all beautiful!!! thank you for sharing the stories and pictures!! :blob5:

Thank you and your welcome lol I definitely plan to keep this updated. They are a load of fun and I am proud of them all.

A quick little story. Last weekend my wife went to a crafts shows where she sells jewelry and her uncle sells custom furniture and other woodworking items. The ones they go to only happen once a year and are HUGE! Well I usually go along, sit in a chair, play some guitar and chat it up with people. This year I loaded up a spare critter carrier with a towel and a hide, a cricket keeper with some dubia, a water bowl and some fresh greens in our ice chest and took Bevo with us. There were so many people there that just stopped by to see him. He was so calm too. I had him on his leash from Christine and he spent the majority of the day perched on my shoulder. He never once got upset or scared even through all the people walking by and asking to pet him. I kept some hand sanitizer and made people use it before I let them touch him, because you never know what they were touching earlier, and I even passed out an index card with this sites address, my name and my email for anyone who seemed interested in beardies and learning more about them. I tried to walk the grounds with him once and he was fine hanging out on my shoulder but I never even made it 100 yards from our booth because of all the people stopping me to see him lol Bevo definitely stole the show. By the end of the day there were people walking up and going, "Oh hey! You're the lizard guy!" People really loved it when I fed him some dubia lol It was a good day and Bevo loved all the attention. I also bet a lot of parents got begged for a beardie when they got home lol

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So we finally finished the super enclosures. Well sort of. We have them built, we have the lighting fixtures installed and the dragons are moved in. We will be changing out the current UV fixtures for longer ones soon, staining the outside and using nontoxic paints to paint the insides with different themes. We are also getting a lot of new decorations for the inside and adding tile floor. So here is a pic of the whole thing:

DSCN3354.jpg

Peach: This little baby is vicious. She has been biting the crap out of me over and over lol I have been putting some of my worn tees in with her and using only picking her up to bathe her and once more a day to try and get her used to me. Today was the first day she gaped but did not bite me. The first few days I stuck my hand in there and she literally ran AT me in order to bite me lol

DSCN3359.jpg

DSCN3358.jpg

DSCN3357.jpg

DSCN3356.jpg

Rory: She is getting prettier and prettier with each shed. Her oranges and other colors are really starting to come through. I definitely got lucky with her.

DSCN3364.jpg

DSCN3363.jpg

DSCN3362.jpg

DSCN3361.jpg

Bevo: This big boy loves to chill and let me take two pictures before he ran to the corner of the cage to escape the flash lol

DSCN3367.jpg

DSCN3365.jpg

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So Peach went two whole days without biting me. Then she relapsed lol However, today I was determined she would love me! :x I spent half the day holding and stroking her back. She started out like usual hissing, biting, lunging and running but then every time she tried to bite me I stuck a piece of either strawberry, squash or carrot in her mouth and she chewed on that. Thanks to another BD.org user for that advice. After a while I was able to put my finger right on her nose and she didn't even crack her mouth. I decided to give her a bath, which she hates, and at the end when I stuck my hand in there she came running over and much to my surprise she didn't bite but rather latched on to my finger to get out! The second I laid my hand in the bottom of the cage though she bolted to the corner and gaped at me. :roll: Oh well, we had some progress I suppose. Here are some peachy pics!

Peach:

I strayed too close to her cage so she ran over to watch me closely
DSCN3371.jpg

DSCN3368.jpg

DSCN3356.jpg

Now for a funny story. Bevo is my bud. he hangs out with me a lot and usually during the day I let him free roam for a while around the house. Well last night I wanted him to sit on the computer desk so I could watch him better. My best friends daughter had been playing with some toys and had just left so I had not cleaned up yet. Well he kept on trying to run off the edge. He was being very wiggly and every time I stopped him and put him back to the middle he looked at me angrily and tried again. Finally, he let me know how he really felt by raising his tail and pooping on my mouse cord :puke: I couldn't do anything but laugh and clean it up. After a bath I put him back up there and this time he jumped on to my lap climbed up my shoulder, over my shoulder on to the back of the chair and leaped on to the shelf next to me. He then found a snug spot and fell asleep on what my wife calls my disaster zone (also known as my shelves). I work from home and it gets messy sometimes lol Oh and the reptisun you see there is NOT the kind I use. My wife went to petsmart for me and bought it by accident. I haven't returned it yet.

Bevo:
On the desk before poop time
DSCN3376.jpg

After poop time looking ashamed
DSCN3377.jpg

On my lap
DSCN3378.jpg

and on the shelves now
DSCN3379.jpg

DSCN3380.jpg
DSCN3381.jpg

on a totally different night sleeping on me
DSCN3373.jpg

Rory is the designated sweet girl. She is soooo pudgy lol She loves to be held and run all over me. She is ridiculously sweet which is why it was so funny when she swelled up at my best friend the other day. She has never once bitten anyone or showed aggression so I couldn't figure out why and since then she has been just fine. My best friend even picked her up again. Anyway here she is.

Rory:

DSCN3370.jpg

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So just some updates for ya'll. Peach seems to slowly be getting used to me. She no longer actively seeks out ways to bite me and I can pick her up every once in a while, I just have to make sure my fingers aren't in snapping distance lol Rory shed again on her tail and legs. Her head and back is shedding right now but I can tell from her legs and tail she is getting brighter again. There are some gorgeous oranges peeking through. Bevo has now gotten into the habit of climbing on to the shelf next to my computer desk and napping on my stuff i keep there. We call it his hide away from home lol

Peach
DSCN3384.jpg

DSCN3383.jpg

DSCN3391.jpg

Rory
DSCN3386.jpg

Bevo
DSCN3388.jpg

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MomOf2Kiddos":1v2x5n9l said:
What cuties! Peach looks like a real rascal hehe :D

Oh yes. She was vicious when she first came home but after a lot of working with her she is calming down a bit. She still has moments where I am sure if she could she'd take my finger off though lol

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just for fun some new pics.

Bevo

This be muh pallow
DSCN3428.jpg

Playtime?
DSCN3430.jpg

Bored now. Kbye.
DSCN3429.jpg

Rory

I found your problem. Pay me in roaches please.
DSCN3431.jpg

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So I finished a little more work on the vivs. I got the tile added in this week. They still need to be stained on the outside and I need to paint and laminate the backdrops for the inside but I finished 3 of the 6 fake rock structures I want to build. I have a feeling I will be redoing them someday because I had trouble with the glue. I used liquid nails but for some reason it in some areas it melted the styrofoam, which was weird. I ended up using some elmers glue that you sprayed on from a can and it worked wonderfully. They all love their new structures. All of the cages are 4x2x2 so these structures are pretty big and I have plans to modify and add to some of them. I measured Bevo and Rory today and Bevo is at 19 inches and around 11 months. Rory is around 4 and a half months and 12.5 inches now. Peach has definitely grown since we got her but she won't let me measure her.

Bevo
DSCN3450.jpg

DSCN3444.jpg

Rory
DSCN3447.jpg

Peach

DSCN3449.jpg

DSCN3445.jpg

The whole viv
- for some reason photobucket didn't save my edit so this pic is sideways....lol
DSCN3448.jpg

cmh3988

Hatchling Member
Whoa - that huge platform in Rory's cage is awesome!!!!! I so need to get the materials and find the time to make one - I want to do a tall one like that. Your dragons are gorgeous and it sounds/looks like they have great homes and a great beardie slave :)

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
cmh3988":u1avi907 said:
Whoa - that huge platform in Rory's cage is awesome!!!!! I so need to get the materials and find the time to make one - I want to do a tall one like that. Your dragons are gorgeous and it sounds/looks like they have great homes and a great beardie slave :)

lol thanks. All in all it only took me a few hours to make the platforms because I did it outside and since the temps outside here are hovering above 100 they dried quickly so I was able to layer the grout faster than average. Then I let them dry outside overnight with the sealant just to be safe. The bottom two are peach and Bevo's and I'm not 100% satisfied yet. I am definitely redoing Bevo's and adding something similar to Rory's in to his home. Peach will get an additional basking shelf with a built in hide to replace the bricks and the pot that is in there now.

wow peach looks so scary!

lol She was pretty vicious. She actually hasn't bitten me in over a week now and she comes running to her food bowl when she sees me begin to add the little dubia to it. She still swells up when I pick her up but after a moment she calms down and accepts that she can't do anything about it. I have been getting her out thirty minutes after lights out now and she sleep on my chest for an hour while I watch some TV. This seems to really be making a difference from when I first got her and she was actively seeking out my fingertips like they were a meal lol

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Had Rory and Bevo out today and took a few pics....

Rory:

The reason my phone bill is so high. Rory likes to keep in touch with the Australian branch of her family lol

DSCN3679.jpg

Sniffing the cats butt lol

DSCN3677.jpg

Bevo

One of these things just doesn't belong here....

DSCN3648.jpg

RSCN3669.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom