Rocky bites like a pitbull!!!

So let's discuss what happened today. I was feeding Rocky; he isn't truly eating like normal yet. Rocky said no a couple of times. He shook his head, closed his eyes and said NO (not verbally) where I clearly understood. I then left him alone and came back again in about 20 minutes. He then licked the fruit but here's where I went wrong. I cut it small and tried to feed it to him and CHOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMP- OMG, Rocky went for it and when I tell you that he would not let go, he shook his head back and forth. OMG. I didn't scream but he drew blood. I mean, you just have to wait until he realizes you're not edible.
I promise you that all I thought was how @xp29 said, "It's a plate, it's a plate" referring to their mouths as I still waited for their teeth to grow in.
Well, I have a cut across my finger like a papercut and the other side got the fang. My goodness. Rocky immediately felt bad and went to the corner. I felt bad, he felt bad. He was dark, I was bleeding- we were a mess. He had the audacity to resume with his close mouth like my finger wasn't just in there. I think it wasn't the food but payback for my constant annoying him.
I waited then tried to feed him again thinking, "if he didn't shake then it wouldn't be that bad." Yes, I am totally ridiculous.
About an hour later, I asked for a hug- he came out, we hugged and made up. Trust me, I watched his eyes...closed means no- and they were open- THANK GOODNESS!!!

I then let Rocky get some window time. He got himself down about 20 minutes in then he went into "brumation" around noon. I haven't seen him since. I think I will let him sleep in his enclosure tonight.
Bad Rocky bad or stoopid hooman, stoopid!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Jeez, I never really considered one day Beebz cute little mouth would be a weapon. I will definitely keep this cautionary tale in mind as she grows!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They have a strong bite, but like Rocky said, you need to not panic and let them release, and they will just as quick as they realize they bit you. Their teeth are triangular and serrated like a shark, if you jerk you'll make it worse. The plates Rocky mentioned are the roof plates in the middle of their mouth, those are what will hurt you. They are rigid and sharp and much longer than their actual teeth.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
LOL - "like Rocky said":ROFLMAO:(y)
In my head Rocky is the biggest softee and would never survive in the wild, I mean, he wouldn't survive in my backyard the way I am raising him. I may be fooled! I guess I needed that reminder that he is a reptile!!!! Like that time, I almost went for the tail.
Now I think if I get whipped by his tail, I've experienced everything, and I will be fearless (not that I desire this)- LOL

I must say, I like to touch his tail. As we know it's so long and as he grew he would just look at me touch it as he gained my trust. Rocky would give me the stink eye but eventually gave up - now he can careless. One day, he may get tired of me sticking in the enclosure (he never goes in- he stands on something and let's his tail hang outside of the enclosure so I can't close the door every - single- time- but one day, he may say HOOMAN GET OFF MY TAIL.
Then, here I will come to the site whining!
They have a strong bite, but like Rocky said, you need to not panic and let them release, and they will just as quick as they realize they bit you. Their teeth are triangular and serrated like a shark, if you jerk you'll make it worse. The plates Rocky mentioned are the roof plates in the middle of their mouth, those are what will hurt you. They are rigid and sharp and much longer than their actual teeth.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen used to tail whip everytime i picked him up (Zen was a big scaredy cat for the first rwo years lol). It smarted if he landed a good lashing, but it isn't near as bad as an iguana.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Zen used to tail whip everytime i picked him up (Zen was a big scaredy cat for the first rwo years lol). It smarted if he landed a good lashing, but it isn't near as bad as an iguana.
I've seen videos of iguana tail whips, WHEW- no thanks.
So I wear a necklace that I usually take off but I switched to a stronger one and now Rocky thinks it's his handlebar. He simply can't get enough! I got home, gave him a hug, tried to put him back and he was Tarzan! I tried shaking him off, no luck.

Since I can't shower with a beardie, now bathroom time is where I draw the line, I rested on the couch like I was going to take a nap and snuck off...isn't that a shame! It was at that moment, his tail moved, I was for sure he was going to curl me back in but it was his tail simply falling off me :ROFLMAO: After the shower, I resumed cuddle time and he ended up sleeping on my neck all night.
Rocky moved and I would feel his tail move across neck like a snake. It didn't weird me out but it's interesting because he rarely moves in his sleep. It's about 2 seconds of adjustment- perhaps the body heat or making sure that I didn't escape!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Christina has had to ask me to get them loose from her necklace, so i know what your talking about, what i think is funny is when they borrow up on her hair and she has to come running for help lmao 🤣

Hatchi

Beardie name(s)
Alfred AKA The UlanBaby
So let's discuss what happened today. I was feeding Rocky; he isn't truly eating like normal yet. Rocky said no a couple of times. He shook his head, closed his eyes and said NO (not verbally) where I clearly understood. I then left him alone and came back again in about 20 minutes. He then licked the fruit but here's where I went wrong. I cut it small and tried to feed it to him and CHOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMP- OMG, Rocky went for it and when I tell you that he would not let go, he shook his head back and forth. OMG. I didn't scream but he drew blood. I mean, you just have to wait until he realizes you're not edible.
I promise you that all I thought was how @xp29 said, "It's a plate, it's a plate" referring to their mouths as I still waited for their teeth to grow in.
Well, I have a cut across my finger like a papercut and the other side got the fang. My goodness. Rocky immediately felt bad and went to the corner. I felt bad, he felt bad. He was dark, I was bleeding- we were a mess. He had the audacity to resume with his close mouth like my finger wasn't just in there. I think it wasn't the food but payback for my constant annoying him.
I waited then tried to feed him again thinking, "if he didn't shake then it wouldn't be that bad." Yes, I am totally ridiculous.
About an hour later, I asked for a hug- he came out, we hugged and made up. Trust me, I watched his eyes...closed means no- and they were open- THANK GOODNESS!!!

I then let Rocky get some window time. He got himself down about 20 minutes in then he went into "brumation" around noon. I haven't seen him since. I think I will let him sleep in his enclosure tonight.
Bad Rocky bad or stoopid hooman, stoopid!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
WOW It drew BLOOD? Sounds painful!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
All ended up being well, I promise
WOW It drew BLOOD? Sounds painful!
It was like a papercut. Silly me fed Rocky some unsweetened applesauce, just a taste right off my finger. Rocky licked it - no worries. See, I dont learn. When Rocky and I have an experience, we both learn from it LOL

You totally have to stay calm and understand not to put food near his mouth but in this case, I dabbed it on his closed mouth, he knew it was okay.
I normally feed Rocky with tongs and in the above story, I was being lazy. Most importantly, when Rocky said NO I should've listened to him.
Our beardies communicate. Yesterday Rocky told me that he was dehydrated, I was so proud that I understood. Oh shoot, I need to give him a bath. BRB

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I feel like we just got a glimpse of the inner working of your mind 😁😉

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I feel like we just got a glimpse of the inner working of your mind 😁😉
Scary place isn't it! Rocky took his bath. All went well. He stayed the 20 minutes. It wasn't bath day but due to him being dehydrated, I wanted to be mindful. Apparently, I failed but we are all good now. LOL
Today Rocky decided to get up at 8am. Perhaps he thought it was an evening at the spa.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom