Roaches scare Tiamat

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
Tiamat has eaten one before, and seemed to really like it. But I can't seem to get him to eat any more. Even after a couple days of him refusing supers, I know he was hungry, he snubbed the dubias, acting like he was scared of the way they were running around. The next day he devoured a bunch of supers. I've tried several times to get him to eat dubias or turks, but he just simply refuses. Maybe he thinks they're crix. Idk. Any ideas to get him to eat them?

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
What size roaches are you trying to feed him? If they're big, maybe that's why he's intimidated.

You could try hand-feeding (if you're willing to hold the roaches). Just hold them between your fingers so they can wiggle but not get away, and maybe he'll be more interested.

Or, you could just starve him until he starts eating them. Definitely not an appealing option but if you're trying to switch him to roaches as a staple, you might have to.

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I also had three little turks in there too and he still acted the same, so I don't think it's a size issue. He also loves hornworms. I put a rag in the bottom of his feeding bin, and he seemed a lot more comfortable. He actually ran across it to snatch up a super, he normally won't even look at unless it's within an inch of him. I'll try the rag with a dubia, maybe that's it.

I actually like to hold the dubias lol. My wife hates them but I think they're cute.

Yesterday he was on strike for three days without eating. He throws a fit if his schedule is interupted.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
techdave":32x7w60d said:
I actually like to hold the dubias lol. My wife hates them but I think they're cute.

Lol! I'm the opposite. I like the roaches, my boyfriend doesn't. He said once he has no feelings towards them either way. I think they're cute, and fun to watch (though I need to clean their bin out, it's starting to stink, so I don't want to watch them right now)

Hopefully your idea works and Tiamat decides to eat some roaches. Once you get him to eat a few, he'll probably want nothing but those. lol

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I hope so. I would hate to think that breeding dubias for 10 months was a waste of time. lol Thanks for your help:)

Prodigyitachi

Hatchling Member
:( i have the same problem. When i first got Lizzy at 9 months she actually ate 3 dubias on that day. After that she ignores her dubias :( and i got a whole colony (exploding) going just for her. Lizzy currently 1 year old. She barely eats now (once every 2-3 days), not even the superworms which her previous owner fed her :angry5: . Ordered Hornworms so hopefully she would love those :blob5: . My girl is spoiled~~. They sure make us worry LOL.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
techdave":72vdovdt said:
haha, me too! i love to sit and watch them and even let them run around on my hand. my wife thinks i'm crazy. she refuses to even even look into the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom