Roach ID Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caltrat3

So, my sister found some guy giving a roach colony away on Craigslist yesterday and she went today to pick them up for me (yeah we're a weird family :eek: ), I thought it would be somewhat easy to identify the species, but I'm having a hard time being 100% sure, the guy had them house in a 10gallon tank with about three inches of wood mulch stuff, it took me an hour to sift through and pick them all out and seperate them, but I couldn't find any adult males (which I think would've made it easier to identify)

does anyone know for sure what these things are?

at first I thought they were discoids. then I was leaning towards dubias, and now I just have no idea what to think cause the only roaches I've ever owned are b. lateralis. :oops:

2011-09-12_01-19-06_793.jpg

2011-09-12_01-23-08_595.jpg

2011-09-12_01-22-58_322.jpg

(they're still in the 10gallon tank in these pics, I'm going to be moving them into a perm. sterlite tub tomorrow, it was late and I didn't have time to get it done tonight, but they do have water gel and fresh veggie/fruit in there with them)

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Gail":1hm0mm54 said:
yep, those are dubia. Adult discoids have wings, even the females. Here is how you sex dubia, I would separate a few large males to make sure you have some for breeding.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/329671-sexing-dubia-roaches.html#post4290500

An Easier way to sex them is the males have wings the females don't :p Its almost impossible to not notice. The ones in your pictures are females, notice the wing stubs. Males will have full blown wings, but can't fly. The adult Dubias are shiny, unlike the Nymphs which are dull. Females also tend to be a bit more shapely then the males, their hind quarters like an oval.The males tend to have a small hind quarters so even if they loose their wings (Which I've never seen happen) its still easy to tell em apart at a glance.

Gail

BD.org Addict
That is for sexing nymphs since she said she doesn't have any adult males in the colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom