roach food recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
I've had my dubia for a while now and im running out of the roach guy's chow so i had to make my own. I made mine with about 80% dry dog food, 15% oatmeal, and 5% bearded dragon pellets. I just put it all in a couple paper towels and just hit it all with a hammer until it was finely crushed. My roaches loved it surprisingly, but just not as much as the roach guy's. What can i do to make mine better? I've heard of using chicken feed, but for some reason it doesn't seem like it'd word. i really dont know why. And all the roach breeders seem to have lighter colores and more grainy smells to them, do you think its the chicken feed?
Sorry for the length

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
what do you mean by organic food? i wanna feed them the healthiest stuff i can, and i know that you're plenty experienced.

StlGreaser

Hatchling Member
I use kitten food for the main part of the chow. Kitten and puppy food is higher in protein contend that regular dog and cat food. I add fish flake, pond fish food, rolled oats, and whole grain cereal. No particular order or quantity of each just what I throw in with a 2 pound bag of kitten food. I make about 3 pounds at a time in a coffee grinder!

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
You can also feed them fruits and veggies.... They really love them and it's good for them. Remove any uneaten fruits and veggies the next day to prevent an outbreak of phorid flies and fungus which can kill your roach colony.

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
StlGreaser":2t89p9ze said:
I use kitten food for the main part of the chow. Kitten and puppy food is higher in protein contend that regular dog and cat food. I add fish flake, pond fish food, rolled oats, and whole grain cereal. No particular order or quantity of each just what I throw in with a 2 pound bag of kitten food. I make about 3 pounds at a time in a coffee grinder!

Yeah i figured that out, i do use puppy food because i know they need a lot of protein. And i knew that i was forgetting something when i went to the store. I forgot the fish flakes! I'll have to go grab some soon. Do you think that a blender would work? i've heard that it does, but it seems too big to get everything.

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
StlGreaser":2a3hwmkj said:

Yeah i figured that out, i do use puppy food because i know they need a lot of protein. And i knew that i was forgetting something when i went to the store. I forgot the fish flakes! I'll have to go grab some soon. Do you think that a blender would work? i've heard that it does, but it seems too big to get everything.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
We don't really know anything at this point.... It is just opinions and speculations from different people. For all we know veggies and fruits could help them live long, or not! [shrug] :wink: :mrgreen:

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
StlGreaser":1iz62w4p said:
Blenders will work I just find that a coffee grinder makes a much finer chopped chow!

yeah it has to since its used for coffee. i'm just pretty positive that my mom wont like roach food in her coffee stuff... :D

StlGreaser

Hatchling Member
momohobobobo":1tjryw1i said:
yeah it has to since its used for coffee. i'm just pretty positive that my mom wont like roach food in her coffee stuff... :D

I use a coffee grinder I found at Goodwill for $3.50! Works like a charm and I do not have to worry about using it for anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom