Roach breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
I read somewhere that oranges increase the breeding in the dubia colonies, and so I want to get some oranges to encourage breeding. I don't know whats wrong with the oranges growing on my trees out back, but they are extremely tart and taste like grapefruit. They smell like oranges, look like oranges, but taste bitter like a grapefruit. I was wondering if the scent, smell, or just the fact it's citrus encourages the breeding. If the scent or citrus is what makes them want to breed, then my oranges out back will work. But if it's the taste then I need to go buy some. Any ideas on whether is scent/taste/or just the citrus that makes them breed more? Or any other things I can do to encourage breeding?

ALSO : anyone looking to start a roach colony, check out this link. It's a really great deal for a starter pack of roaches.

http://www.aaronpauling.com/collections/frontpage/products/current-specials-super-blaptica-dubia-pack

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also, how would you recommend taking temps to make sure it's between 90-95? I know my current temperature gauge won't work since it's the gun type and does surface temps. I know the bottom of the 30gallon tub is like 110 and the bottom of the crates is around 89. So i assume the air temps are good, but I'm not sure the best way to take them. Any suggestions? And also, I feel like 110 is way too hot, even for just being the temp of the plastic on the bottom... what can I do about that?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know that the oranges improve breeding directly, but they're good to add along with a balanced diet for hydration. They seem to like oranges a lot but don't like more tart citrus like limes. Try out a couple of slices and see if they take to it or not.

I don't pay super close attention to the temps. They don't seem to be super sensitive to it. I found that they breed more quickly in the summer so I added an overhead CHE to bump the temps a bit over the winter. I just use my temp gun to spot check temps to make sure it's not too hot or too cold. Otherwise they have a pretty good gradient and will move around to get the heat they need.

This is one of the better overview's I've seen about their care. http://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My main concern was the fact that the bottom is 114. I was worried that it could hurt them potentially when they get off the crates to go find the food. I suppose that site even says to get one side that hot, and you say it doesn't seem to matter much if it's that hot. I'm glad to hear that, hopefully it goes well. In the end, trial and error always will show me the best methods for me.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They'll eventually develop a frass layer that they'll walk on and bury themselves under. That will help insulate and regulate the bottom surface temps a bit too.

GoneForLunch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2hqqjwl4 said:
They'll eventually develop a frass layer that they'll walk on and bury themselves under. That will help insulate and regulate the bottom surface temps a bit too.

I was thinking that he fras would help with humidity and hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom