RIP Smaug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday Smaug took his last breath.
I am beside myself. It literally happened overnight. He just stopped eating, started gasping for air and fell asleep never to wake up.
This is my first try with a beardie and I can't believe he's gone. Other than a coil UVB light, I did eveything i was supposed to. I bathed him, fed him, his temps were great but still something happened. I didn't even have time to take him to the vet.

I love him and and will miss him so much.

Love you little guy.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
I'm so sorry, he probably already had something wrong with him, but none the less I know it hurts to lose an animal, and you are in my thoughts.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, what a shock to you, just a sad terrible shock. We who've lost pets know the sadness....my sympathy goes out to you. Thankfully there was no suffering on his end.

beatleschic87

Original Poster
Thanks you guys.
Yeah he died warm in him viv under his favorite log. When I went to feed him yesterday morning his arms were crossed too like a little persons. I think I will wait a couple more months before I get another one. I need some time to get over little Smaugling.

Any suggestions on where to get this next one? I got Smaug at an independently owned pet store. They kept their dragons in a 70 degree vivarium, which I now just found out. Also they only fed the babies once a day and only like 5 crickets. I think little Smaug was malnourished from the get go and couldn't adapt to all the foot and temperature change I brought on. Poor little dude.

Cherie

I am so sorry for your loss. They are not just beardies, but are our children. I will keep you in my prayers.

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry for your loss. If you were to look into getting a second, after the pain fades, try a breeder online or at a reptile show. Most of them are well started. I will keep you in my prayers.

rsmit02

brittani299":2ha0fvor said:
I am sorry :(. http://www.beardeddragons.co has beautiful babies and cheap prices. Cheryl is also super wonderful. I got cosmos who is a hypo trans leatherback for $75 and then shipping so he was $112

I am so so sorry for your loss I can testify how quickly and hard you fall for these little guys. I would absolutely second what brittani299 said my girl is from Cheyrl also and I deliberately contacted cheyrl for a juvenile dragon who was a bit hardier so I did not have the full stress of a baby and so I knew the kind of personality I was getting as this was important to me. My Princes is 6 months old and the most loving healthy girl, she came out her package when she arrived, had a bath and was eating within 10 mins. Cheyrl has a wide range of options, colors and prices.

I would not stress yourself out wondering what you did wrong, if you are here on this forum then you know the correct set up and it sounds like you had it and your baby probably was weak and possibly ill before you got her. If I were you I would order this cleaner from beardeddragon.co it kills everything bacteria wise that could be left in your tank just add water spray on and leave to dry.
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=239

Then I would congratulate myself for giving your baby the best possible life he could of had then get your butt onto Cheyrls website and start looking, not beating yourself up.http://www.beardeddragons.co/shop/index.php?route=common/home

Again I am so so sorry I know some of you "in real life" friends may not get how upset you are about your loss but you can be sure us crazy beardie addicts get it so please feel free to come vent anytime xxx

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry to hear about Smaug's leaving you. I know how much it hurts to loose them. We have lost a total of 5 beardies, two from what we believe was kidney failure. It doesn't matter how long or short of a time you've had them, it still hurts just as much. You have my sympathies. I love beardies soo much it hurts me when I read about the death of one I've never met. They are soo precious and loving, especially when they get used to you.

Joyce

So sorry for your loss. It's amazing how attached you get to your baby beardie.
I would also reccomend a reptile show or local breeder. I bought Spike from the show found on http://www.reptileexpo.com One reason I chose this breeder from the show was that he breeds and is based in a town within an reasonable drive. The breeder has only been a phone call away and I did a call a few times.

Remember, his life with you was amazing, pampered and loved.

Joyce, Spike's mom

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear of your loss of your baby, Smaug. :cry: I understand the pain of losing one, it is unbearable, I know.
We are all here for you.

Tracie

I am so sorry for your loss. We just purchased a beardie a month ago and it is so amazing how they attach to your heart!

I hope that the good memories you have of Smaug can outweigh the pain of losing your beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom