RIP Heat and Air Conditioner.

noella5088

Juvie Member
It's been going out for months. It was only a matter of time and I couldn't do anything. It kept us warm through the coldest months and kept us cool during the hottest days of high summer. Kept my booger boy's humidity within normal range. When it stopped working, I began to think about how to replace it. How do I fix this because Georgia Summers are a nightmare to all. Including Asthmatics, people with lung issues, bearded dragons, and even I cannot live in a hot and humid place because of Asthma. So, I decided that the best bet would be to open a gofundme to help me get a replacement and a professional installation. I cannot lift it due to bad knees. I can do 'simple chores'. Simple house hold chores.
I bought a 100 Watt Ceramic Heat Emitter and a wire cage. It was all I could afford right now on a limited budget.
I also suffered a migraine headache last night so I'm dealing with the next day wacky feelings today. It's off and on.
Anyway. I got two small room heaters. 200 sq. feet to just heat the room we're in before bed. I have a spare one for my room. I had a larger one, but there was a mold smell in the filter and inside the unit itself. I stored it in the shed.

Attachments

• heater_ac.jpg
    heater_ac.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 33

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's too bad, are you in a house or apartment ? What are the hottest months that you have to deal with ?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Darn, I didn't think so but thought I'd ask.
It's alright to ask. I live in an A-Frame House. The roof covers a majority of the house itself. I got a big box fan so that'll help a little. I also have two room ac's in two different rooms. I can run them during the day. I also have put a rice sock in Maya's tank to control humidity.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
O.K, good to hear that you have a couple of A.C. units then. Hope everything goes smoothly this summer.
Yes, I hope so. I also have a question.
I think I got the wrong type of housing for the CHE. I got one for iguanas. I was wondering if I were to wrap the wire cage with foil, that would help direct the heat into his tank. It's supposed to be freezing cold tonight. I want him to have the best warmth. I am also considering on putting him in the bathroom at night in his carrying case with the small wall heater there on. It gets warm in the bathroom because it's a small space.
I can also get something to insulate his tank so that it retains the heat from all sides. His tank bottom has a liner that retains heat. So, I'm able to insulate that too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's tough for you + beardie. Both of your proposed ideas will work. How cold does it get at night ? They are fine with temps. as low as 60 degrees BUT.....if they're not used to it that could cause him to go in to brumation. Or for a beardie that's not in very good health it's better for night temps. to be around 68-75.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Aw, that's tough for you + beardie. Both of your proposed ideas will work. How cold does it get at night ? They are fine with temps. as low as 60 degrees BUT.....if they're not used to it that could cause him to go in to brumation. Or for a beardie that's not in very good health it's better for night temps. to be around 68-75.
It really will. I checked the temps in the tank one night, it stayed around 75-77 with the heat lamp. I didn't check it this morning. In the house it can get to 64-65 degrees. If colder, it'll get to 53-63. He was negative last year for parasites and not tested him yet because he just woke up a few weeks ago. He's eating on his own now. I've got another plan too.
For his tank to retain it's warmth from the day, I think what I'll do is seal it an hour before he goes to bed. I tend to do a nightly routine with him. He sleeps for a few hours on my chest before I put him in his bed. He sleeps on a bed pillow so that'll help insulate him. He loves his soft toys to sleep with. I'll buy some newspaper to surround his tank. Part of his top will be open because of the CHE. His bugs will also share his tank for the next two nights.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, if it stays at around 70 or so that will be fine. And yeah, newspaper is a good insulator. Just be sure that none of it comes near the heat source.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
O.K, if it stays at around 70 or so that will be fine. And yeah, newspaper is a good insulator. Just be sure that none of it comes near the heat source.
Will make sure. I just hope the foil's ok for directing the heat downwards. I don't want to mess with the fixture. I did that once and I always felt like I was destroying it.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom