RIP Dexter :-( (29/09/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this post will explain why I have been absent for so long....

I have copied and pasted this from my forum. It has taken me until now to pluck up the courage to come and tell you all. :(

I cuddled my baby Dexter to sleep for the very last time last night. (29th Sept 2012) Now he'll be forever in my dreams.

He has always been "not quite right" ever since he found my heart on 15th December 2011. I've always thought that there was something a bit strange about his "trances" where he would drift off to another planet and I'd Hsve to nudge him a few times to get him "back down to Earth".

A couple of weeks back, Simon was stealing a few hours sleep when he heard an awful racket coming from Dexter's viv, he was thrashing around desperately gasping for breath. Simon grabbed him and noticed some purple fluff sticking out of the side of his mouth, on closer inspection of his gaping and desperate mouth, Simon saw that more fluff was stuck in his throat, which was slowly but surely suffocating my baby boy. Simon swiftly grabbed his reptile tweezers, grabbed Dexter and began extracting the fluff from his mouth and throat ... it was only when Simon finally managed to remove the last bit, that Dexter started breathing properly again. Unfortunately we now think this greatly exacerbated his already ailing "condition".

We fear now, (from talking to our reptile vet at length) that my poor baby boy had lacked in oxygen long enough to cause severe brain damage. SOB :-(

I do not wish to go into details of the horror and the pain and worry I have gone through over the past two weeks, but let's just say that he quickly went downhill and got worse and worse until he stopped eating altogether and I had to force feed him bugs. I tried to get his veg down him but he just constantly spat it out, I knew at this point that he wasn't going to last very long, so I talked in length to our reptile vet in Telford, he agreed that the hour and a half journey would most probably finish him off, so I was better off just spending as much time cuddling him as possible before the inevitable happened.

I cuddled him off to sleep last night, knowing that he was never going to wake up ever again. :-(

I don't know how old he was, but he would have had his best time here, with me spoiling him rotten at every possibility. He didn't have very good owners prior to myself, but I finally treated him as he deserved.

At least now he is no longer suffering, he's at the bridge, chomping down veg and bugs, waiting for the day that he is reunited once more with his Mummy. Me.

Please join me in wishing that Dexter is now happy and at peace and without pain or stress.

Good night my baby boy Dexter, pleasant dreams, sleep well my little baby boy.

RIP Dexter, gone but definitely not forgotten. Always in my heart, never far from my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom