~ Riding the Waves with Wave ~ TWO MONTHS, 6/5/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
...These threads are so interesting, I thought I would start one myself. Particularly to allow people to laugh at my fumbling attempts to do everything right for Wave, who regularly looks at me like, "What planet did you drop in from, you bumbling fool?" So... enjoy!

We can start with her story, though it's a rather tame one - no valiant rescues from bad conditions or petstore oblivion here, just love and care from the days she was born. She was an Ava x Nova baby from Yellow Room Reptiles, described as being a little plainer and shyer than her siblings. Plain and shy? Why, I can relate to that! So she won my heart from the moment I saw her picture.

In theory, she's the first pet we've bought for our 13-month-old daughter (we've had our dogs and rat since before she was born) - in practice, of course, a 13-month-old is good for little more than being able to point and say "lazar," which she does, but which doesn't go far when it comes to feeding and cleaning and whatnot. So I have selflessly taken up the task of caring for little Wave. The daughter did name her, however - I asked what she wanted to call her dragon, and she waved at me.

Wave came to live with us on April 5th, after a particularly harrowing day that involved lost boxes on the wrong UPS trucks, one very helpful UPS driver, and a frantic journey to meet his supervisor to pick her up, hours after she should have gotten here. But she arrived fine, downed 9 crickets, and put herself to bed promptly at 8:30 that night. Good girl!

After two days, she seems to have decided we're okay - a little weird, and very loud, but okay. She spends a significant amount of time on her hammock, watching the insanity that is our living room. The dog ignores her, the child is fascinated by her, the husband tolerates her, and I dote on her and fight with crickets. We're looking forward to many happy years together!

The day she arrived:

wave_4411.jpg

And a couple from today -

"I see you, you know."

wave-4711.jpg

"Don't you think green is my color?"

wave2-4711.jpg

(Don't worry about the stick-on thermometers - if you look closely, you can also see the probe from the digital thermometer. I just happened to have the stick-on ones from some of the other stuff I bought, so put them there because I like how they look. We don't use them to gauge temps!)

Will try to get more when she's had some time to relax and settle in!

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hatched 1/24/11. So she's about 2.5 months. :)

I caught her today - haven't seen her touch her salad bowl. Well... we went out today to walk dog + child about 11AM. Had to come back quickly for something. And there's Wave, at her bowl, just munching away. (Though looking at it afterwards, it appears she just went for the treat-grapes. Might have gotten a little mustard green. Shock... I'll have to hide the colorful stuff better next time!)

Tricksy little critter.

...And speaking of riding, it appears she likes my shoulder. Took her back to have a bath (forgot to take pictures, sorry sorry sorry!), she was on my hand on the way to the back of the house. When we got to the bathroom, she climbed up to my shoulder while I got her little bathtub ready. In she went - somewhat reluctantly - and she drank a tiny bit. When I took her out, back to my shoulder she went. Took her off, a little afraid she might leap and fall. Held her. She scrabbled out of my hand, back up my arm, and onto my shoulder. Well, fine, then. Clearly, that's where you want to be, that's fine by me. So she rode there back to her viv, and now she's back in her hammock.

I was probably more excited than I should have been. I think she likes me? I assume wanting to ride on my shoulder is a good sign! :blob8:

Our little one hatched 2/10/11 . She's our first BD, they are sooo cute, huh. Ours hasn't touched her greens yet, although she did nibble a little cantaloupe from my hand. I can't wait to see her chomping down.

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I don't really blame them ignoring the mustard and dandelion greens. I wouldn't eat those, either. :lol:

Yours must be tiny! Soooooo cute.

One more picture - thought this was a great position on the hammock. "Yeah, I'm cool. I'm cool. No worries here."

wave4-4711.jpg

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Yay :) I like the all in one threads personally ( it's easier for me to keep up...lol)
That's great news that she nibbled on her salad, even is she was being sneaky about it :) going down there and even if she just eats the treats for now, it's a good first step - she'll be nomming down her salad in no time I bet !
The pics are great, looks like she's settling down and enjoying some hammock time too ! And I think it's awesome that it looks like you have a shoulder dragon :) :) A lot of dragons will just ride around on your shoulder for long periods of time. Beware though... babies (and adults sometimes :roll: ) will leap off your shoulder with no fear :shock: the good news is most beardies seem to be fine when they do that....
My male, Stitch, was riding on my shoulder just the other day after his bath when with no warning whatsoever he twisted his body around and leapt out in front of me (literally a full leap -boy got air!) - arms and legs out - to belly flop on the floor and take off :shock: :? How he managed this I'm still not entirely sure... lol The babies tend to be a bit less predictable with things, but I think Stitch likes to keep me on my toes :lol: Keeping a hand on some part of her or close by until you both learn about things will keep her safe while on your shoulder/chest :)
Thanks for the update :)

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeaaaaaah, she decided to go scuttling off down my shirt this afternoon - down my back. On the outside of the shirt, but still rather worrying. Fortunately, she didn't leap, and she let me reach around and pull her off. Silly creature... She hasn't taken a flying leap yet, but I'm sure she will at some point. What I'm working to avoid at this point is any negative interactions with the dog - since the dog has a very high prey drive. She usually won't hurt anything, but she loves to chase, and Wave is just the right size to look interesting. When she's bigger, she and Jamie will probably do fine together, but I could easily see Jamie chasing Wave under a couch and then leaving it to me to clean up and coax her out.

...So I think we will be transporting Wave via box to a saferoom for playtime for the time being. ;) We'll practice shoulder-riding in there until she's a little bigger. I'll take a book. :lol:

She's sound asleep in her hammock now. She's slept the last two nights on the floor, so I took her off the hammock and wrapped her up in her blanket at bedtime. Few minutes later, much scrabbling - and she's back in the hammock. Hammock seems to be her permanent spot. Which is fine - it's close enough to the basking light she should still get plenty of heat, and she can watch everything in the room. Going to make for some boring pictures, though!

She only ate one cricket tonight. I may have stressed her out a bit with excess handling today - after the bath, I took her out again for awhile, as I said above, during the shirt incident. That may have been too much for her. Sorry, little one - try to pace it better tomorrow. Consider it a good thing that I want you around! :D

She's being very patient with me, though - ignoring all my fumbling and poking while trying to pick her up "right" and make sure everything is supported. Letting me pet her. Putting up with my need to touch. Silly humans and their silly social structures.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
LOL They are remarkably tolerant of our strange antics :) :) And you're not being a "good slave" unless you're getting strange looks from them regularly :p
The saferoom to practice being out on you for a while is probably a good idea.. that will keep her safe and hopefully keep her from being scared.

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Speaking of antics, she and the daughter share a fascination with each other - they'll stare at each other with equal head-cocks and bemused looks for as long as I'll hold the latter up. Can't wait until they're both a little older and calmer and ready to meet each other without glass between them!

Caught her eating her greens again. Just greens today - mustard and dandelion. Didn't bother with anything to entice her because she'd been ignoring it so completely... Came over to upload some pictures after her breakfast, heard movement, looked over, and she's dangling off her basking rock by her back legs, snatching up green stuff! Good girl! I couldn't get a picture because I suspected she would stop if she knew I was watching, and I was too far away to get a good one with my phone, so everyone will just have to trust me. :wink:

She ate 23 (twenty. three.) crickets this morning! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! She lets me know when she's done and wants out - comes over the side of the Tupperware where we feed her and scratches at it. I ignored her the first time she did it, in case she wanted more - it had only been maybe 5 minutes, definitely less than 10 - but she ignored the crickets after that, and did it again, so I took her out. If she wants to tell me when she's finished, then great, fine by me!

A few more pictures for your viewing pleasure...

Who needs a Tempurpedic?

wave5-4711.jpg

"I definitely wasn't going to eat this. Definitely not. How could you even think such a thing?"

wave1-4811.jpg

"Aaaaah... Nothing better than a big breakfast and a few hours in the 'sun'."

wave2-4811.jpg

I'm going to try to take some "real" pictures with the camera this weekend. Should improve the quality a lot!

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
First car ride! Shhhh, don't tell her she's going in a ferret carrier...

I stayed with her in the car while the husband and daughter went inside to shop - she looooooved the real sun. Definitely going to have to get her outside some this summer; she should feel right at home, except for the humidity!

"Where we going, where we going?!"

4811-Wave3.jpg

Let's play Terrify Everyone in Traffic!

4811-Wave4.jpg

"Let me out, I saw a cricket!"

4811-Wave5.jpg

And ate 10 roaches this evening! No interest in crickets with roaches on offer, but that's fine. 23 crickets, 10 roaches, and quite a few of her dandelion greens today (checked the bowl - she sneak-attacked a lot of it)!

:blob8:

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Ha she's adorable! I have been wondering if it was too soon to start mine on car rides :blob5: U leave the prob temp in all the time? I can't even put it in with mine he attacks it or licks/ bites it :roll:

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Prouddragonmama":3iinb5em said:
Ha she's adorable! I have been wondering if it was too soon to start mine on car rides :blob5: U leave the prob temp in all the time? I can't even put it in with mine he attacks it or licks/ bites it :roll:

Thanks! She seemed to enjoy the car, but I did have someone to hold onto her carrier - I want her to be a little heavier and less flighty before I try it without some help!

She hasn't seemed interested in the probe yet... But she has only been here a few days. I would probably find it amusing to watch one of them attack it! :lol: I've left it there thus far because we've had temperatures all over the place - 45 one night, almost 90 a day later, that sort of thing - so I want to keep an eye on it, assuming if our temperatures are fluctuating, hers might, too! So I've had to do a lot of light-height adjustment, and it was easier just to leave it in. That might change if she develops an interest!

...Another bath tonight, trying to get a poop out of her. She hates her bath. She seemed good and angry at me by the end of it. Turned her back on me and pretended I didn't exist when she went back to her rock. Reminds me of the greyhounds I've known. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom