Rice as staple food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Hi! in my house we always have a ton of rice leftovers, just plain old basmati. I was wondering if thats ok to feed Ares? Not all the time, but another thing to add to his food rotation. Thanks! ps, are tomatos bad for dragons. Cant believe i dont know that, but there it is :oops:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Rice wouldn't make a good frequent food. Occasional bites of grains arn't bad but not a good part of the diet. Tomatoes are also an occasional or infrequent food, they can cause some digestive upset in some dragons.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Would you mind explaining to me why rice isnt the best food? I always thought it was pretty healthy for humans

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Rice and grains (also legumes like beans) are typically high in phosphorus and also contain phytates (a storage form of phosphorus plants use). Both of which (if too much or too often) can cause imbalances of other nutrients. White Rice has a Ca:p ratio of 0.08:1, for example.

Personally I don't like to include much grain - it doesn't seem like it would be a natural part of the diet and I haven't seen evidence that dragons have the necessary enzymes to properly digest it.

Again, a bite or two here and there I doubt would be harmful. I'm all about variety, but wouldn't use it frequently.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation! I appreciate your patience. I will adjust. Its it economical to ship hornworms this time of year? Also is it a good idea to breed them? Their food is so expensive

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Shipping on hornworms is about the same year round, winter maybe a few $ more for heat packs... But if your area is really cold it may not be a good time to ship them.

I've not bred hornworms, it can be done but I thinm requires quite a bit of space and patience. (It's been a while since I looked into it but here is a guide - it's very similar to what I do with my silkworms except the dirt) I'm not sure if there are safe leaves you can feed them so you might still be stuck buying Chow. Maybe some day I'll get into it but it seems like a lot of work. I think there are recipes for chow, but some of the ingredients are expencive anyway.

I do breed silkworms, and recomend it for folks with the patience. They are low maintnence but mine have been slow to get big - probably from low temperatures. Depending on what time of year they lay the eggs they will hatch in a few days or they go dormant and you can keep them in the fridge and hatch a few at a time. If you buy the chow powdered it's a little cheaper but still kind of expensive. If you have a mulberry tree, in the spring/summer you wouldn't need to buy chow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom