RI?? I hope not :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Im really worried. Today i was picking up Chuy and i could hear him letting out air. He was all puffed up and then i heard a let out of air. He also just ate supers, hornworms, and some silkies,...so i dont know of him being full could make a difference?? His regular humidity levels are around 40%. A week ago or so it was up to 50% because it was raining and very muggy outside. His temps are 102 basking and 80 cool side. He has an active heat T-Rex MVB, and i do turn on the CHE when his temps get lower than 70 at night. I was giving him a bath everyday when I first got him (april 30th)because he was shedding, and still is. Can too many baths make a difference?
His eyes and nose are clear
I tried to listen for congestion but I couldnt hear anything.
I noticed him opening his mouth in temps that are really not that hot, few a few seconds.
What should I do in the meantime?
Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think what you are describing is forced exhalation behavior. If he just ate especially, alot of times they can make snorting & or huffing type of noises too if they are full! :D
Is there any indication of mucous in the nose or thick off colored saliva in the mouth thus far? You mentioned that you did not hear any congested type of noises when you listened to him breathe, so that is good.
Make sure his humidity is lower than 50%. If you are concerned about a possible respiratory infection, cut down on his baths, & definitely keep his tank around 75 but no higher than 80 at night for a little while just to make sure.
They do still gape, even if it doesn't seem "all that hot", that is just how they thermoregulate normally since they cannot sweat.

How is his appetite, it sounds like it is great.

Tracie

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply
I talked with Char (the breeder who I got him from) and we were wondering if it was because he was trying to break his shed. He JUST broke his shed today after being in shed for a while. And he has grown a lot since I got him, so im not surprised if that dead skin is tight on him. His appetite seems like It went down a little due to shedding(starting today), but he is still happily eating. I picked him up and he was not making that release of air noise.

His airways and eyes look clear and healthy. I saw him gapping with the higher temps and took advantage of looking into his mouth. everything looked A-okay.

I have added in a different supplement bulb to my MVB. It is producing more heat now and I think he is enjoying it. Closer to 106.
Is it normal to actually see their sides go in and out when breathing most of the time? (only up near his front legs) I've been keeping an eye on that lately, and I never cared to notice until now. I think maybe he is in a vulnerable state because it is his first shed here, so maybe hes just breathing a little heavier when I walk in and look at him?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that could definitely do it. Shedding does all sorts of crazy things to them, making them act in unconventional manners, well to us anyway but not to them.
Shedding does affect their appetite but at least he is still eating right now.
That is great you did not notice any excess or off colored saliva in his mouth, so there should not be any problems there.
I think it was just a behavioral thing with possibly the shedding & just because he wanted to make noise. Some make more noise than others.
It sounds like you have all of his temps exactly where he likes them also, at 106 is perfect.
Yes, if you look closely enough you can usually see them breathing, as their sides right up by their armpits go in & out. That is all normal breathing. Of course it gets heavier if he is running around than just basking. Sometimes it will appear that he might stop breathing as they will inspire a few times, then, appear to hold their breath, then expire.
They like to keep us on our toes that is for sure!

Let me know how he is doing. I hope his shedding is going well for him!

Tracie

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He looked like he was wearing a wife beater!!! His colors are amazing under the skin. He should be done with his body shed soon since it has been waiting to shed since i got him. Its a little cold tonight so I have the CHE on right now. Everything your telling me is exactly what i see. Thanks for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great to hear he is doing pretty well then & being his naughty self! :D
Good you have the ceramic heater to help him out if it is that cool in his tank.
I hope that he finishes up on his shed soon so you can see all of his colors afterwards.

Tracie

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I wish I knew how to make this topic not on the ER cause I dont think there is a problem anymore
He ate like crazy today!!! A BIG hornworm, supers, and silks! Spoiled Brat! :wink:
Chuy Just finished his body shed, cant wait for his arms to shed cause they are super orange
IMG_2088.jpg

He looks super yellow in this pic...His dad is crazy yellow
IMG_2103.jpg

My nice fat...ahem, plump baby :D
IMG_2112.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom