rheostat vs repti-temp thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
which one would be better to heat a roach colony, it would be used in conjunction with zoo med heat cable, im thinking of heat cable mostly because of the flexibility of the product and i can always rearrange it to better suit my needs in the future. the cables would be strapped down to a piece of sheet metal for better heat distribution.

so either this:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/thermometers/502819/zoo-med-reptitemp-thermometer-sensor.html

or
http://www.petmountain.com/product/heaters/512443/zoo-med-repti-temp-rheostat.html

also my roach colony is in a plastic rubber maid container.

thanks,
kyle

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
If the totes are in a temp stable envirnment, such as indoors in a house with AC and heat, then I would say get the rheostat and use an IR temp gun to check the temp. It will allow more precise control, and be more flexible overall when heating multiple totes (should you ever do such a thing). If you are only going to use one tote, and are worried about overheating, then get the thermostat. I really don't think it's necessary however, as long as the roaches are indors.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
alright sounds awesome! bestroach for the win, the dubia i got from you are doing great. . . i only wish i placed a bigger initial order with you. that 125 is now around 300+, so its well on its way

clear

Sub-Adult Member
I just played with the temps in my enclosure, keeping them in the low 90's now. I love my new setup :D

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
sweet i just ordered my heat cable and rheostat from petmountain, and imma go to home depot when they get here and grab a piece of sheet metal. I hope this works out cus my 60watt CHE isnt really cutting it right now and im using more energy the heat cable is only 15 watts. . . woooo! alright well i gotta finish cleaning.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
One of the main reasons why I went with my new setup is to conserve power but get the same output, yes it might cost a little more upfront but it will pay for itself in what is saved in a few months.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thats what i was thinking, its bad enough i got 2 100watt bulbs running all day for my tanks, but a 60 watt running 24-7 is a lil much. . . haha

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
If your heating a few totes, then I would say heat tape or wire would be an efficient option. I personally have tons of totes, so I dedicate an entire room, and use seperate heat and humidity sources to control the envirnment within the room. Unfortunately, you need to provide heat for a succesful colony at least a part of the year. There is really no way around it, same goes for reptiles. Energy efficiency and reptiles don't really go together....at least for indoor pets.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
BestRoach":0df27 said:
Energy efficiency and reptiles don't really go together....at least for indoor pets.

And for my next project I will be building a solar power bank to power all my reptile/feeder needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom