Return of the tail rot!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegullaaimee

Beardie name(s)
Chico
Chico had surgery on 2-15-22 to remove a section of his tail due to tail rot from retaining shed (not my fault)... A few weeks later his tail was swollen and stitches had to be removed because they didn't disintegrate and I soaked them form 20 mins daily in a betadine solution okay so his tail swole and scar tissue set up at the end.... Fast forward a month and the end of the tail by the scar tissue feels like dying wood(rotting wood) again to me what do you guys think?

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
He is also tail shedding.... I have been putting unfiltered raw honey on it for a few days until I can call the vet in the am

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_162027135_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220327_162027135_HDR.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20220327_161959651_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220327_161959651_HDR.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20220327_162019458_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220327_162019458_HDR.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 137

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Thank you so much KarrieRee....I do have an additional question I believe the stitches may have caused the additional tail rot I will post pictures below but I am wondering if a bearded dragons tail can be cauterized instead of sticthes? This was his tail with stitches!!! It seemed like the stitches were cutting off the circulation of the live skin to me

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_084504464.jpg
    IMG_20220228_084504464.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20220223_192804037_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220223_192804037_HDR.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 121

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much KarrieRee....I do have an additional question I believe the stitches may have caused the additional tail rot I will post pictures below but I am wondering if a bearded dragons tail can be cauterized instead of sticthes? This was his tail with stitches!!! It seemed like the stitches were cutting off the circulation of the live skin to me
I am not savvy on that - ahbd or Tracie are gonna haft to help you on that

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Chico's tail does look odd, not sure if the sutures messed it up or what. Since he's been ill his immune system is compromised so that might add to the tail problem. Keep putting the honey on it but if it gets worse you might have to see the vet for advice. How is his appetite and activity level ?

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Chico's tail does look odd, not sure if the sutures messed it up or what. Since he's been ill his immune system is compromised so that might add to the tail problem. Keep putting the honey on it but if it gets worse you might have to see the vet for advice. How is his appetite and activity level

Chico's tail does look odd, not sure if the sutures messed it up or what. Since he's been ill his immune system is compromised so that might add to the tail problem. Keep putting the honey on it but if it gets worse you might have to see the vet for advice. How is his appetite and activity level ?
His activity level is low...he has gout and doesn't move around much. I am currently feeding him via syringe and when he takes a meal worm I'm putting greens in his mouth. He will not voluntarily eat greens. He was never fed greens before I got him in Dec of 2021. He is however some active not much though he usually transfers from the same three spots in his cage and may walk outside his cage for a minute at a time because of the gout. Although even with the gout he is more active that's he has ever been in his life with the proper nutrition and lighting.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His activity level is low...he has gout and doesn't move around much. I am currently feeding him via syringe and when he takes a meal worm I'm putting greens in his mouth. He will not voluntarily eat greens. He was never fed greens before I got him in Dec of 2021. He is however some active not much though he usually transfers from the same three spots in his cage and may walk outside his cage for a minute at a time because of the gout. Although even with the gout he is more active that's he has ever been in his life with the proper nutrition and lighting.
Is he on allopurinol for his gout- I would look into getting him some silk worms for his insects- I can post some websites for the silk worms

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Is he on allopurinol for his gout- I would look into getting him some silk worms for his insects- I can post some websites for the silk worms
Yes he is and if I'm not mistaken silkworms have more protein than mealworms and the insect protein is what makes the gout flare up and of course sugar? So I've decided to stick with mealworms. I've also ordered some calcium without vitamin D3 since he now has the correct lighting to take stress off the kidneys I'll only give him the calcium with D3 once per week now and without twice does that sound appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom