resuced beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped in petsmart last night to look at some decor for my Beardie, Always stop and check out there beardies. Much to my suprise they had 7 in a little cage nothing new. but one caught my eye, the employee came over sprayed them very little, i ask if i could hold the one i was looking at, she picked him up and handed him to me..the poor guy couldnt even lift his head i ask her to spray some water in my hand for him to drink he tried to drink but couldnt move enough for the water. I ask to speak to a manager because i was concerned about him! I explained my concern for the little guy and ask what they do with them once they become ill? I was very angry with the response of we put them down. I understand that it can be costly to get them well again!! i ask the manager if i could get him at a discount price. Of course he was rather happy to GIVE him to me for free....Now i have this tiny guy in my 10 gallon tank and have given him a bath, and have been spraying him more then i do my own, He has shown little improvement over night (didnt expect much) i have already found him a great home if he makes it thru this. He is eating pinhead crickets but only had 10 today in 3 feeding i am hand feeding him as he is to weak to move,I dont now how much he should be eating..I am also not sure why the manager didnt show more intrest in him or his health..Let alone why they have mealworms as there staple diet...I used to think highly of petsmart. Now i am second guessing there knowledge and my own! His temps aare 115 in basking spot and 90 on cool side in his new temp home. Hehas not moved from under his basking light and the uvb is tube so hes getting plenty UVB! Do i have the temps right? I am really hoping to help him recover from dehydration because im pretty sure thats all it is...I made an appointment at my Vet for tmr morning but living in ohio its cold and im worried if i transport him and i cant keep his temps up is that going to hurt him more? I plan to put him in a show box with a blanket? will that be ok? I bought him a critter cage to get him home last night and was scared that the poor guy would freeze. Just cant see letting him die if he could be helped. so now i am asking for anyones help here to make sure my transport is going to be ok? and that he will be ok while i have him at the vet?? please help!

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
if hes dehydrated 115 is too high, its too high for small beardies too.
he'l be fine in the box as long as he keeps his warmth, so i suggest warming up the car beforehand or sticking a heat pack in there, great deed saving the poor little guy :p

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
I am so glad you saved him the one thing I learned about petsmart is I really enjoyed them until I learned they absolutly have no knowledge about beardies. There are a couple things I think you should change. One his basking spot needs to be 110 F at 115 he could get roasted. His cool side shouldnt be at 90 it needs to be at about 75 to 80. Also what UVB does he have. He needs to have ReptiSun 10.0 UVB tube or Arcadia 12%. What substrate are you using it needs to be newspaper paper towels or repti carpet. I really hope he has a great life and I am sooooooooooo happy you took him in.

mommy2spike

Original Poster
thanks guys!
Repticarpet, and repti sun10% bulb, thanks i was not sure how the temps were for him. this morning i come to check on him he at least is lifting his head though its not much.. got him some chicken baby food going to see if i can get him yo eat some of it.
will keep updates as we get them! i hope he makes it, Maybe he will do better after i adjust temps!!

mommy2spike

Original Poster
Very well he has made a great recovery he had high lvls of coccida, Very dehydrated, and had a impaction. but he has made it to his new home and loving life! He is really an amazing little guy. I visit him daily (hes my neigbors now). i keep going back and checking on the beardies i can not help myself! i am so in love with them. The vet said had i left him there he would have died with in the week.. Makes me wonder how many they have die that no one knows about???

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Alot, the same in the mom&pop pet shop I go to, but I try to educate them and they've begun to listen to me, so their babies are now surviving. They know I have healthy rescued beardies. I'm so glad you got this little guy in time and that he's got a great new home. Good for you. I also have a great vet, too, just like you, so that helps, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom