Respiratory issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlflana

Juvie Member
It's been very cold here in Atl recently. My girl has her own heating system but still most mornings she is cold. Lately I have been noticing that she sort of hiccups or mini-gasps but see no mucous. She is breathing fine through her nostrils and eats and poops regularly as she should. She is actually laying here asleep next to me now, but every once in a while she puffs her beard out (in her sleep) and goes "sss" like she is breathing in real fast. Do you think she's okay? I was gonna take her to the vet tomorrow if you guys think that best, it is just soooo expensive to take her because I am an overly concerned mother. Thanks for any advice!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
If you are not seeing any mucous in her mouth or nose that is good. If you do not hear any clicking, popping or gurgling type of noises like if she was congested then she is probably exhibiting forced exhalation which is pretty common.
They do that right before they push out their beards, & then they puff up & blow air out. It does look like a hiccup, yes.
Though if you are still concerned, you can get an x-ray from the vets to make sure there are no respiratory problems.
What are your temps in the tank, & how do you measure them? How cold does it get overnight in the tank?

Tracie

wlflana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The coldest part of the tank is about 60 to 65 but the warm end stays around 70. I measure with a probe thermometer that I only place in when I need it, I think you call it a probe (has the end that measures with wires that go to the display part). I just found it weird that she does it when I am pretty sure she is sleeping. Thanks for the quick reply.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
temps that low will cause problems even if she hasn't got any at the moment; she needs a basking spot of 105-110 and the cool end should be just over 80 (82-84). if it's as cool as you have it she won't be able to warm up enough to digest her food properly, also if it's not hot enough the heat doesn't burn off the humidity in the viv and then they get prone to RI

oops! - think you were just talking about night temps? if so they are fine

wlflana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well Stewie went to the vet and she had a slightly clogged nostril which the vet cleaned out (I haven't heard the funny noise yet from her again) and she was deemed overweight. :shock: The vet said she had fat in so many places she could live for 3 weeks without eating and wouldn't drop a gram. She weighs 694 g. I apparently have overfed her somewhat. So he said to put her on a mostly kale diet with some squash and occasional protein (only once a week and only 2-4 of them) and get her out and about every day and force her to run some. So we are on a quest to lose 50 g over the next year or so. Wish us good luck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, good she did not have any respiratory issues though. She was overweight then?
Why Kale? I don't agree with that because that binds calcium absorption. Try using collard or mustard greens instead, as a staple.
Perhaps she had some stuck shed on the inside of her nostril? That can happen sometimes.
How many feeders are you feeding right now, weekly? You have to be careful not to drastically cut down so quickly. Do it gradually as not to shock her system so much & she wont be so ravenous either. Another reason is that you don't want a sudden release of too much fat overriding her liver causing her liver to have to metabolize fats in large amounts because that is hard on her liver to breakdown too much fat. A sudden influx of fat being released is very hard on their livers.
So if you are feeding 40 feeders weekly, on week one decrease by say 5 or so. Then, the following week decrease by 5 more. Then see how she is doing on that amount. I don't think that 4 feeders per week is nearly enough to sustain her muscle mass. Going from a good supply of feeders to 4 in one week would be a terrible shock to the system. I personally think if she needs to lose weight, then a good goal for protein per week would be 20-25 feeders per week, in combination with greens & some squash.
Try gradually decreasing a few feeders per week, while changing over her food intake slowly. It will be much healthier for her. You don't want to starve her to death while trying to slim her down. :D This will help keep her metabolism up as well.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom