Rescued two Bearded Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I never thought I would own a reptile, I had never even seen a bearded dragon until I recently rescued two bearded dragons. A little over three years ago a friend of mine purchased two baby bearded dragons for his children, they played with them for a few weeks and then they pretty much sat neglected in a basement for the next three years. Eventually the basement flooded and became unfinished essentially ending their contact with humans altogether except when the wife felt inclined to throw some of the store bought BD veggie supplement in the tank, the husband threw about 20 crickets in about once a month, the lights were kept on a timer. Then one day he brought me in the basement on an unrelated issue and I asked about the dragons. He explained the situation and I insisted on bringing them home and giving them a better home, he agreed. I brought them home, cleaned the tank (it was filthy and stunk like ammonia) changed the substrate and reset up the tank. The next day I separated them and fed them about 35 crickets each which they ate quickly with no problem, I continue to feed them some parsley and diced apples and the more research I do the more balanced their diet will get. My wife named them, they are two females, Camille and Liz. I received Liz with 3 feet missing with the one still there very disfigured with only two digits remaining . Additionally the last two inches of her tail are gone, according to the research I’ve done this is from shedding problems. She is now my special needs dragon, very friendly and loves human contact. She loves to take warm baths, I found this out when I was cleaning the cage and I put them on the counter and she jumped in the sink and seemed to love the water, playing, running through the running water, and putting her leg stumps under the warm running faucet, it must make them feel better. Camille doesn’t like the water as much and instead wraps her self around the faucet and enjoys the warmth that way. They now live in my office and pretty much have the run of it as much as they want. Their favorite activity though presently is laying on a towel on the window sill of the opened screened window of my office under my desk staring at the sunshine, trees and flying insects while enjoying the warm breeze. As the sun goes down they drift off to sleep. I feel bad about going in the office every night around 2am and putting them back in the tank but worry about their safety should they wake up and start to wander around. Anyway, I joined this site because I will need as much help as possible learning about them so I can give them a healthy and happy life. Thanks for any input. CamilleAndLiz

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
wow, thats horrible your neighbors basicaly forgot they existed... its so wonderful though, that you were willing to step in. it sounds like thse guys are being cared for properly now thanks to you :D .

my only question is; how old is the long tube light and who is it made by? there should be words somewere on one of the ends of the tube. those long fluorescent lights need to be replaced every 6 months... im guessing thats something your neighbors never did.

once again, i applaud your efforts at rescuing these poor little girls. it that messed up foot still healing? are there scabs or anything like that on that foot? do any of here injuries appear to be fresh, or from long ago? did your neighbor say how her feet got injured? was it by the dragon she is currently housed with?

sorry to ask so many questions, i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see some pics!

here is a pic of my first resuce dragon:
100_4475.jpg

he was injured at about 4weeks old by his siblings at a petshop. i found him alittle too late, or just in time... depending on how you look at it. he is a happy little dragon though and lives a full life.

Falthazur

Hatchling Member
That's terrible how they were kept! I'm shocked that they're still alive at all! Have you taken them to a vet or scheduled an appointment? With that filthy of a start, I'd be really worried about worms... I'm also shocked that they're so tame as to let you handle them when they haven't been handled in three years. I can't even imagine someone keeping an animal, let alone two, in such a manner... They probably attatched themselves to your family pretty quick, since it sounds like you're spoiling them. XP

Welcome to BD.org! There's quite a few stumpies around here, so finding advice for poor Liz will be pretty easy.

And there's Jason and Little Guy. Who I was eluding to with the stumpies comment. XD

CamilleAndLiz

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and I must say awww how cute your little injured dragon is, he's lucky to have a caring owner.

The age of the UV bulb is unknown it is a Repti Glo 8.0 and I'm going to replace it ASAP. Amazingly I had some very expensive full spectrum UV bulbs around that I use for the house (it's said they elevate your mood so I bought them) as a temporary supplement, they're above my work bench and I let the girls play under them. Additionally I checked their stool under a microscope and it looked clean so I'll keep an eye on them and bring them to the vet as needed. I purchased a basking spot lamp and a calcium supplement as well. They are so cute, and amazingly seem healthy and energetic, call me crazy but they seem to love us already too. I'm trying to figure out how to upload some pictures does photo bucket work any help on that would be great. Thanks

Also they didn't know how Liz became a stumpy I just assumed it was from shedding and circulation problems from it. The two seem to get along ok so I didn't feel it was from fighting

Falthazur

Hatchling Member
Be very, very careful with the girls and your UV lights. The levels supposedly for a human I would imagine are drastically different than a beardie... Even the slightest thing can cause problems. Look up on the forum about ReptiGLO 10.0 and you'll see what I mean. The 8.0 is alright, that's what I'm getting tomorrow, but the 10.0 is hazardous.

And beardie's capability for love knows no bounds. They're right up there with dogs.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
when you replace that reptiglo, try to buy this bulb from this site... it will save you a bundle:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

this is the best fluorescent you can get in the US. it is almost fool proof and stronger than all of the competition(except for one found in the UK).

photobucket will work just fine. just signup for a free account there and upload your pictures onto their server. after that, copy the image code they provide and paste it where ever you want that picture to be shown. hope i could be of some help.

p.s. stay away from any kindof compact light... any kind. whether its UV or not, they are no good and possibly dangerous. also stay away from reptiglo 10.0, it may put off hazardous radiation and hasnt been fully tested like the reptisun. i would really get that reptisun 10.0, i just recently ordered one for $27 shipped. it arrived 2-3 days after i placed the order. that site has awesome service, i would seriously buy that bulb there... nobody else sells it for cheaper, $19.24 for any size you want. from 18" all the way to 48"... awesome.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
aww, the won with the club feet is adorable! i love her already! how well does she get around? does she look odd when walking around? can she climb anything at all, like the side of a HabbaHut?

Falthazur

Hatchling Member
Yes, they're adorable. I love the one with them on the window sill. It looks like it could be an ad or a postcard!

CamilleAndLiz

Original Poster
Thanks, the stumpie Liz gets around great and she climbs suprisingly well she gets up my shirt and sits on my shoulder no problem. She relies heavily on her remaining two claws. Yep we have alot of work to do to make them a good home, thanks for that bulb site, I'll be getting that one. I'll also be changing the substrate the pet store sold me, I read somewhere here that rabbit food was the best substrate any suggestions.

Falthazur

Hatchling Member
NOOOO NO RABBIT PELLETS! They're dusty, and grow bacteria and mold like crazy! Sand's pretty heavily debated around here when it comes to adults, so I'll spare you that one. The safest substrates are non-adhesive shelf liner, tile, and "repticarpet" which is pretty much out door carpet. The very, VERY short, rug-like carpet, which is what I use.

CamilleAndLiz

Original Poster
Falthazur":cad47 said:
NOOOO NO RABBIT PELLETS! They're dusty, and grow bacteria and mold like crazy! Sand's pretty heavily debated around here when it comes to adults, so I'll spare you that one. The safest substrates are non-adhesive shelf liner, tile, and "repticarpet" which is pretty much out door carpet. The very, VERY short, rug-like carpet, which is what I use.

Thanks I'll look into the repti carpet we love them already and want to spoil them. Something on the softer side rather than tile sounds great.

Falthazur

Hatchling Member
Yeah, I'm rather fond of the repticarpet in mine. I was going to use tile for Falthazur, but I found a huge sheet of the outdoor carpet in our garage. Hey. Free substrate. ^_~

CamilleAndLiz

Original Poster
Here they are sleeping right now on the window sill. Hard to see but still cute if you can make them out. Sorry about the size of the pictures I'll have to work on them.

IMG_0955.jpg

Falthazur

Hatchling Member
The forum auto-resizes, at least on my computer.

And I have no window sills for Fal to sleep... nor will Fal sit STILL. He's a neurotic little thing yet. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom