Rescued Beardie~TINY

Status
Not open for further replies.

koco46

My 10 year old son has been wanting a reptile for a long time and after meeting a couple of Bearded Dragons we decided we would like to add one to our family,but we would wait until September after summer vacation and my son's birthday.I had spent hours reading the forums here,gathering information,since I had no reptile experience,then we even went to see a local breeder where we purchased a few roaches to start our colony,after reading about the voracious appetite of young dragons on this forum. We are planning to get a baby from them in September so we can raise it and bond with it while it's still young.

Well,I was browsing Craigslist on Saturday and I came across an add,a few days old where someone was selling a setup that came with a free "lizard".The picture showed a bearded dragon and he looked so sad and pathetic to me,I talked to my husband and we decided to "rescue" him.

When I saw him,I was shocked to see how very small he is.His owner told us "Spike" is 6-7 months old,I might weigh him today to keep track of his weight,but I'd say his body without his tail is only about 3 inches long.His tail is long and very skinny,more like a rat's tail,there is a kink in the last inch or so and it looks almost dried up,I have been reading this could be a sigh of calcium deficiency?

According to his owner,he was fed 4-5 mealworms a day,he did say the bulbs he had in the fixtures were only a couple of months old,but he had mounted the fluorescent UVB on the wall outside the tank and there was no physical way for the beardie to get within the recommended 6-8" of the light.For the basking light he had some kind of blue bulb,but it was broken in the fixture,so I have no idea how long he has been without lights.He did say the beardie liked his night light,which was a red bulb.

When I replaced the fluorescent tube(we stopped on our way home and bought a 100W CHE,a 10.0 reptisun for the existing 18"fixture and a ZooMed 150W basking light,ReptiCal with D3 and crickets) there were no numbers,marks or anything at all on the tube,so I am not sure what it even was.

He was living in a tank filled with smelly red sand,had no vitamins and there was tons of dried up poop all over his basking log.

The first thing we did when we got him home is wash dump all the sand and scrub his long and hidey,cover the outside of the tank with paper so he could feel more secure.He was very skittish and tried to jump out of your hand, dark stress marks all over...

I finally got done getting everything ready around 3 am,so we didn't try to feed him that night,he had fallen asleep in a showbox with a fleece "blankie"...

So now I have a ton of questions,hoping that experienced people on this forum can help me out.. :D
Will the 18" light fixture be ok for now with a 10.0 Reptisun in a 36" long tank?

My husband mounted it down in the tank underneath the screen,and temperatures are up to 105 in the basking area,with the coolest temps in the tank only 75,but he does have a wide range in between.

On Sunday I gave him a bath and let him soak for 10 min.He didn't like it and kept trying to escape but I was afraid he might be dehydrated,poor little guy!
He is very skittish in general,the paper helped a lot though and we were happy to see him leave his hidey to bask under the lights yesterday!He seems to prefer temps closer to 95 than 105.

He has been choosing to "perch" on the highest point on his basking log,which puts him within maybe 3 inches of the Reptisun,is that bad for him? He does have the option of picking a spot 6-8" away,also.

We were thrilled when he ate about 12 crickets dusted in ReptiCal,4 mealworms and a tiny little newborn dubia. Can't really feed out of the colony yet,though,and I have to say it was a little hard to feed a baby roach,it was our first clutch of babies after about 2 weeks of having the roaches.

Reading the rescue stories here gives me hope that our little guy could be ok in the long run? Should we give him "extra" vitamins? He has not been eating veggies at all,we have tried Dandelion leaves and flowers and red peppers,will get a wider variety at the store today,his owner said "Spike" likes blueberries.

Should I give him another soak today? I hate to bug him too much,but he hasn't had a poop after that large meal yesterday .

I will try to post some pictures a little later and try to get him to eat some greens for breakfast.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Yes the 18" will be good just put it over his basking spot cause he will be there the most that's what I do in my 48" tank soak him every day to get him hydrated again and to clean him for the first week also no mealworms they can cause impaction dust the food 5x a week with calcium and 2x with vitamins Veggies all day every day so put them in there in the morning then change them the next morning tile a really good substrate or news paper paper towel temps r good And here's a good website for veggies http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html oh ya after u bath him lots in the first week do about three a week

koco46

Original Poster
Thank-you,
GREAT NEWS,he just ate about a quarter sized piece of dandelion leaf I fed him with tweezers.
I did line the tank with non stick shelf liner and put a layer of paper towels on top.

I am going to the pet store later to buy a light stand,hate having the basking light dome light sit on top,it makes it so difficult to get access the tank.

It has a sliding top that doesn't slide very smoothly and already melted the plastic rim,when I got Spike out for his bath yesterday.The screen melted into the plastic,so I had to cuta hole into the screen in order to get it "unstuck".

Is there a prefered brand of Multi-Vitamins?

koco46

Original Poster
This is Spike's picture from the CL ad:
spike2.jpg

A few more:

DSC_0956e.jpg

DSC_0945.jpg

DSC_0931e.jpg

DSC_0906e.jpg

DSC_0910.jpg

koco46

Original Poster
What do you think? I'lltry to weigh him later,he doesn't want to seem to want to bask or get close enough to the UVB today,he seems very sleepy!

You can really see the kink in his tail in one of the pics,the last inch is stiff and dry ,reminds me of dead wood!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
I really don't know what it could be but it may possibly get better how old is he roughly did the guy tell u u may want to buy him some wax worms to fatten him up some more

koco46

Original Poster
The guy I bought him from said he got Spike as a baby and he's had him for 4-5 months, soI figured he should be 6-7 months old.
OK,I'll get him some waxworms today!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
What a gorgeous little guy! Just look at that face...so cute! He might have some relocation stress and that's normal.
He's skinny but that can be fixed. Slow and easy does it. He will gain good weight with a good diet. You don't want him gaining weight to fast. Wax worms are good for treats and to add a bit of weight, but not to many, they are very fatty.
Is there white urate in his poo? If there is he can process protein and needs all the feeders he can consume in a 10 to 15 minute period 2 or 3 times daily. He will start out slow as you have seen but his eating will increase a lot....a lot :shock: :lol: That will be a lot of crickets or what ever you are feeding for live food daily, feeders no larger than the space between his eyes. 1 of those live feedings daily need to be dusted with calcium 5 days a week. Dust with vits the other 2 days. Easy to remember schedule: Mon. thru Fri. dust with calcium. Sat & Sun with vits. I wouldn't give him "extra" vits even though he's not been fed well, is malnourished and tiny. Dragons don't process all vitamins well so can risk vitamin toxicity with to much. 2 days a week will be very good.

You'll start to see a difference in him quickly. You are wonderful for rescuing him. He was waiting for you to come along and save him! Rescue dragons are so special {well, all beardies are so special :D} I have 4 rescues, they are so wonderful and I love them to pieces!
Amanda

koco46

Original Poster
Yes,there is white in his poo,and he has about one poo a day.
I ordered some roaches as he went through the pet store crickets pretty quickly and I think he could eat dubias all day.
I have been feeding him about 30 little dubias a day,10 per feeding.One feedig is dusted with calcium powder.
He takes the occasional 2 pieces of dandelion leaf,pepper etc,but he's not into his veggies .
He is now up to 29g,so he has gained 4g in a week,I can tell his belly is getting rounder.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
RE the end of his tail, it may have gotten pinched and restricted. You know how you can get something pinched and the bloodflow can be cut off then the body decides what to do? That can happen. My little guy got one of her fingers crushed at a pet store before I had her. Basically it dried out and fell off, a lot like the umbilical cord on a baby. Just keep an eye on it. Be gentle with it and try not to let it catch on clothing, jewelry. I'm not saying that's 100% for sure that's what it is, but it's one of the things that it looks like.

I have to say that's it's awesome of you to choose to adopt this little guy for your little guy. He must be over the moon. What a great lesson.

koco46

Original Poster
Spike Update:
He is doing really well,he is eating about 40 small dubias a day and would eat more if we let him,he weighs 44g ,10 inches long,compared to 25g when we adopted him a little over 2 weeks ago.
He still tries to jump off our hands and hates his baths,but he's very alert!
DSC_1013.jpg

DSC_1012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom