Rescue in abhorrent health (Updates and pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have connected my initial post with a post I did explaining her physical situation in depth and with pictures. I'm also leaving it where it is, just adding it here too. P.S; I wrote this being very tired and corrected some mistakes and typos.

This is not a “right now” emergency, but I think it’s appropriate for this section, if not I apologize and let me know or move the thread.

This is going to be long, so please be patient with me, she’s a rescue and I’m near desperation with her/him. I want to explain every detail. I am in no way a reptile expert, I don’t want any more lizards than this one, and I only got her because she needed a rescue. I really did research those questions before posting so I’m very sorry if I’m one of those annoying people.

I’m also very, very tired and exhausted so I might be scattered everywhere and English is my third language.

The Bearded Dragon in question is at least 5 years old (minimum).

She/he is in a 250G terrarium, well ventilated but retains proper heat. Basking area is 105 to 108 (it stays put). I keep him/her on tiles covered with newspaper. She has a cold end and a warm end. The cooler end is 75 to 85 and the warmer end is 85 to 95. For the basking area I use a 100 watt (UV-B) bulb (I would usually use “full-spectrum”(?) but in this case I think she/he needs more ) or else the basking area gets too cold. It’s the only heating I use and the temps are kept constant. She is near a window so she gets a lot of natural light without boiling up. The humidity in the room where she is kept varies from 35% to 45%. I give her “baths” every three days. The cooler part of the enclosure is much darker too so she has a “hide”.

I have removed anything that can get in her way except for the “basking log” and “bark divider” (just a log which semi separates the tank from warm the spot to the cooler darker spot).

Now I got him/her a few months ago, she’s a rescue from “private owners” not a pet shop; I won’t go into too many details, but the people that kept her made me sick. I’m mostly a Tarantula and Fish person (yey for having different types of enclosures!) so I called up a vet when I got her for an emergency appointment and also pointers on how to keep her.

She was SEVERLY malnourished (as in probably not fed in AT LEAST 6 months, no water bowl either…), very lethargic and could not move at all, her upper limbs were swollen and you could make out every single bone in her. When I was trying to feed her she couldn’t move. It looked like someone stepped on her, she also had very long claws (or nails?) with very old food stuck to them, and her mouth was crusted with old food, her nose was blocked, her ears seem “collapsed”, she has many missing fingers, the “eye socket” (area around her eye?) was blue-ish and she was unable to open her eyes. She was flat it looked like someone stepped on her; I mean, I could continue; but I won’t. It was bad, I checked around the net, and honestly, I have not seen a lizard in that bad of a shape (that was still alive). I have to say though; her general color/appearance wound/scar/stress marks wise is perfect.

Long story short, vet gave me care-giving pointers, calcium shots then liquid calcium and told me to give her a rich and varied diet. No parasites, no internal injuries or blockages… Basically she was in “okay” physical health (she was not, but I don’t know how to put it). The vet even told me I should consider euthanasia on the spot. I told her no, and she gave me the consult/scans and tests for free with liquid calcium and some vitamin paste.

It took me over 7 hours (even more; I’m not even exaggerating) to remove the **** off her fingers. Some of them where stuck together because of the food, they were literally fused; I couldn’t make out what was the lizard and what wasn’t. I had to soak her and gently remove it, I had to use a scalpel at some point (I got access to pretty much any medical tools and autoclaves and dry heat ovens and anything you could imagine) fortunately I did not harm her in anyway. It was hard because the food/crust seemed to be part of her, no difference between herself and the crap. She bled at some point (not because of the scalpel, just the manual removal – but just a tiny amount) I soaked her fingers/hands/legs in a mild saline solution and rinsed it off.

Alright, so for the first two months I was feeding her with a syringe 3cc at first of freshly gut loaded mashed crickets (ever tried to put those in a blender?) calcium and vitamin boosts; twice a day. A week later I was giving her 3ccs three times a day until I got to 3ccs four times a day. Then I upped to 4ccs four times a day and so on until she could eat on her own.

I figured that if she was that malnourished, without a heat lamp, no water or anything, I couldn’t just flood her with food, her metabolism wouldn’t take it.

I was also giving her some bio/natural/un-processed cat food in tiny doses for her to gain at least some mass (VERY sporadically, usually a tiny bit mixed with blended veggies and crickets).

Fast forward to now! Good news! After 5-6 months she can “walk” (well crawl), she’s more alert, eats live crickets (but I have to hand feed them to her she can’t catch up), the swelling in her limbs went considerably down. Her stool is healthy; her mouth also seems to have a yellow-ish healthy color to it. She eats (hand-fed) crickets and goodies (mashed veggies and sometimes super-bio healthy natural cat food for some fat once every two weeks). I blend her food to tiny bits, it’s mooshy and I boost it with calcium and vitamin paste. And I keep her hydrated. I also give her daily stomach massages, just to make sure the digestion and all goes well, in case her body is still not used to food. I also get her bio baby food (butter squash); she eats much better than me. I have also inspected for mites or anything else.

I also gently physically “rehabilitate” her, her limbs were stiff and swollen, the swelling went down, and so I gently bent and unbend her limbs (VERY gently) with luck she will regain more independent movement.
(She seems to drag herself around with minimal limb movement.)

She drastically improved; she seems much more alert and is able to move, with “stiffness” in her limbs, but moves none the less. If the state she was in, I mean I still can’t believe it. She could NOT move, not even open her eyes, now she wiggles like crazy when I need to move her!

P.S; The vitamin paste is done on spot depending on the specific needs of the lizard/animal.

Now, I got a few problems with her, and before stressing her with a trip to the vet I thought I would post them here, if you have pointers to what might be wrong with her please let me know! These are persistent problems and I would like some input!

1-When she eats she seems not to be able to swallow, she seems almost distressed (keep in mind the food is very fluid).

2-She violently moves her head banging herself on the enclosure walls and seems agitated. They’re not spasms or seizures; she seems to control the movement.

3-She sometimes seems to have food “stuck” in her mouth, but it’s not compact or tight, it just seems as if she didn’t swallow everything (it might be related to her banging her head, but it doesn’t seem like it); The food just kind of floats in her mouth.

4-Her ears seem… Smaller. The ear holes seem not to hold their shape.

5-Sometimes she moves her head sideways (synonym of infection) but she has none, been checked, I checked, some friends checked. We went through stool samples, scrapings, checked out every inch of her body, no parasites, fungi or mites.

6-She has NO teeth. It’s not much of a problem with the liquid food and she seems to chug the cricket’s problem free although I think I will start putting them in the blender. I’m scared she swallows them. Can the teeth grow back? Any input?

7-This is NOT an option I want to think about, but personally, do you think she can still have somewhat of a quality life even with those problems or should I… Put her down?

8-Does she have a chance of physically supporting herself on her limbs, she crawls and drags herself with the little arm movement she has, but can keep her head up, but the rest is flat against the ground?

9-Any chance she will keep getting a bit better?

10-Any ideas on what else I could feed her/him? Any particular foods one wouldn’t have thought about? I heard soy (?) yogurt but I’m very unsure.

11-Anything else I can do to make her comfortable? (Like a… I don’t know what lizards like, some gentle ocean sounds soundtrack) or something?

12-There’s a part in her mouth, which I guess would be her gums, it would be the “lining” of her teeth, the tissues is yellow-ish/translucent and I see some swelling; suggestions?

And feel free to post personal notes and comments. I do have pictures, but at this point I think it’s useless, I really don’t want to be posting her across the net (unless it’s REALLY necessary – but I personally don’t think it is). I’m not a doctor, but I do have certain knowledge and experience (mostly in humans though ) and I don’t know anything about reptiles.

(PS, yes I do have a life and a very, very full time career haha! – I just prefer saving a life than making a few bucks; okay more than a few but oh well, job won’t go anywhere.)

Alright, let's try this picture thing!

Let me put you into context;
I got her in Feb. 2011. She was flat, and I mean flatter than she is now, it was unbelievable; under half and inch thick. When you touched her stomach, there was no consistency, it was caved in. Her pelvis bones (?? humm, the two bones before the tail?) were very highly visible. As you can see she also has a few missing fingers (on all limbs). Her "ear canal" (the outside "bridge" of the ear?) seems collapsed, but at least now you see something, it was completely closed off. The skin on her lower eyelid (?? under her eye?) was very blue. She was limp, did not open her eyes, could not open her mouth, did not move and did not fight back when I was picking her up. The upper limbs were swollen to I guess 3 times their normal size and her lower limbs were skinny and bony. Her nose was plugged up, very deeply it took me about 45 mins to gently get all the **** out of her nose. Her fingers (mostly on the upper limbs) were fused together in a very solid, old gunky crust which deformed her nails/claws permanently (this is just my guess). It took me OVER 7 hours to clean all that **** (literally it was ****) off it was a mix of faeces and old food, over layer of more faecal matter and more food, and more faeces. I mean, her "hands" were a ball of crap. You wouldn't believe it. I used scalpels, hemostats, hypodermic needles, warm saline solution, medical towel and gauze to remove all that. It was hard something I had to manipulate the fingers and I could tell she was in discomfort because with the little energy she had she actually moved. Her joints were stiff but a bit flexible.

I stayed up all night once because I was SURE she was dying, then two weeks later same thing. I didn't want to leave her alone.

Now:
She's 17.5 inches long, I just measured her. She's a bit dirty she needs her bath tomorrow, I fed her and she has a tendency to plunge into the food, which is a good thing, she seems to "hunt" it, and she's very alert with crickets but just can't run after them she's too slow. She can semi walk/crawl she has movement (but limited) in her limbs, I wish she could actually get herself off the ground, at least she can move her head. She can actually pulls herself on her basking log. She's clean (!!!) unless she tackles bug soup and food I have to clean her off right after of the next day. She ALWAYS has fresh food in her cage. She moves and wiggles like an eel (I have eels actually haha) when I pick her up. She poops! Her poop has a very good consistency and she can actually lift her tail up when she goes to the bathroom. Thinking about it, her limbs and joints ARE much more flexible and she seems to be in no discomfort when I examine her.

Sorry for the pictures with my finger in it, I think she likes me so I have to bug her a bit for her to open her mouth (touch her on the side of her mouth).

If you look to your right side on the picture, inside her mouth on the bottom half, between her tongue and lips/jaws, the is some white soft tissue which seems to have some minor swelling. She doesn't have teeth so maybe is the irritation and friction when she eats? Any ideas?
DSCF2067.jpg

You can also note some swelling in the same area. It seems to be soft tissue to me, but I am completely unsure. I have No experience with reptilia.
DSCF2064.jpg

On this one she is dirty, it was after a meal and I let her bask instead of taking her for a bath right after. I have noted that the beard and neck area seem to be too skinny and there's a significant lack of health. As you can also see, but not as well, her ear bridge/canal seems collapsed or lifeless.
DSCF1559.jpg

Her basking log was dirty (she is a VERY messy eater and food ends up EVERYWHERE so I wash it before going to bed when she doesn't use it, sorry for that) this was a week or so ago, after a cricket feeding. As you can see (the focus is off her limbs though) the loose and surplus of skin which is present after the most part of swelling went down.
DSCF1557.jpg

As you can see here; the surplus of skin is still present. I assure you she looks much better than she did. You can see how the upper part of her arm has no noticeable swelling but the lower part of the arm still has swelling present. She has no mass and it is quite tender and seems almost perfectly healthy to the touch.
DSCF2055.jpg

This is her in a relaxed position without any interference on my part; note the dessicated lower limbs and the thickness of the upper limbs. Let me comment that her lower limbs were much, much skinnier when I got her, that's after 5 months of daily care. Also her pelvic (two bones at the tail) are less prominent and barely noticeable.
DSCF2056.jpg

Here you can clearly see the damaged cause after starvation. Those limbs are noticeable less stiff but still lack weight.
DSCF2059.jpg

Here you can clearly see her ears and profile features. Her jaw is uneven with the lower jaw being more prominent. I'm not sure if this is normal. You can see the collapsed ear bridge.
DSCF2060.jpg

Here you can note how thin she is, but she gained a lot of thickness in the last few months and her stomach has more consistency to the touch. This is her usual "upright" position.
DSCF2058.jpg

Here is a picture showing how much she can actually lift herself of the ground, it's not much, but it's progress, although I'm not sure how much more, if any, she will be able to make. She can independently move around with some effort and some difficulty.
DSCF2061.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
1-
2- perhaps she is a male instead. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
3-
4- Picture? May be related to past dehydration.
5- If you have her under a window getting direct sunlight she may be either edgy to this if she isn't used to it or angling her head toward the light?
6- Teeth do not grow back in bearded dragons.
7- In my opinion you are doing a great job and have done a very good deed. Keep it up.
8-
9-Time can only tell. If she is otherwise healthy, I mean without parasites, infection or other diseases then I give her a good shot.
10- Soy yogurt is good to feed a dragon that is receiving antibiotics, you can consider Repta-Aid. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753955
11- I have found that my female loves to have a hand towel in her enclosure, she seems to be way more relaxed with it in there.
12- May be just some discoloration, I am unsure but, mouth rot has a cottage cheese appearance.

Check out this site --->
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
You could try baths to help regain muscle. Make it lukewarm like you would for a baby, and fill it to about armpit or shoulder height. The water will take some of the weight off the limbs making it easier for her to move them.

I once rescued an iguana that couldn't stand either. She wasn't in as bad shape but still it was pretty bad. She was eventually able to stand, run and climb.

You might try worms. They aren't fast so she might have an easier time feeding herself. Reptiworms or phoenix worms are small, so those would probably be good for her to try. Wax worms are good for a treat, they're small and high in fat which she could probably use right now.

Spookle

Well done for taking on the poor little guy, makes me angry how so called animal lovers can let their pets get into such a state, i'm not an expert but it sounds like you are doing a great job and from experience i know it is very exhausting physicaly and mentally, sadly we didn't save out rescue and she died a couple of weeks ago so my heart goes out to you and i hope you have a better out come than we did, as for having the little guy put to sleep, i think you are the best person to make that choice as you know how much or little progress your beardie is making and you will know if it's the right choice for your baby, please keep us updated and my thoughts are with you and your baby.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
I think you're doing a great job. The only suggestion I have is to bump the basking temp up to 100-105 ish as 85-95 isn't warm enough for proper digestion.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, you really have showed an amazing amount of patience, care and determination to give this dragon a chance. It's a good guess to say that no one can know what such severe trauma does to an animal [ or human ] to affect them physically, their mobility and including brain function. I mention that because of her odd habit of banging her head, which is a really strange behavior. She's been through a terrible ordeal, that's for sure. I don't think she'll ever be able to really get around. I;m amazed that she actually eats on her own....for an animal, that's a good sign, and I would almost think euthanasia in her severe state if it weren't for that one fact,[that she does eat,] in view of all the other things she has going against her. But if she's eating , moving and doesn't seem in pain, she has a chance. Just wondering, does she have a UVB light? The UVB is blocked by the window, the glass filters it out so she can't get any that way. UVB is important for calcium absorption and over - all health.

RaineKoenig

Original Poster
Wow! Thank you SO much for all the answers and support. I will try to quote what people said but it’s the first time I’m using a forum, so sorry if I mangle the post up with the quoting.

The basking area is 105 to 108 it’s the warmer part of the aquarium which is 85 to 95 and the cooler part is 75 to 85. Is that okay?

Pictures are coming! Okay I will post a few pictures, at least try; my photography skills are… Lacking.

Beardednoob":3vckgdbq said:
1-
2- perhaps she is a male instead. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
4- Picture? May be related to past dehydration.
5- If you have her under a window getting direct sunlight she may be either edgy to this if she isn't used to it or angling her head toward the light?
6- Teeth do not grow back in bearded dragons.
7- In my opinion you are doing a great job and have done a very good deed. Keep it up.
9-Time can only tell. If she is otherwise healthy, I mean without parasites, infection or other diseases then I give her a good shot.
10- Soy yogurt is good to feed a dragon that is receiving antibiotics, you can consider Repta-Aid. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753955
11- I have found that my female loves to have a hand towel in her enclosure, she seems to be way more relaxed with it in there.
12- May be just some discoloration, I am unsure but, mouth rot has a cottage cheese appearance.

Check out this site --->
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/

Alright! She is officially a SHE! The vet was calling her “she” after the first examination this is why I was leaning towards that; but I never thought to ask.

Yes she does have a UVB light as her basking light too (the window is not open all the time). I threw away the box the bulb came in so I don't remember the brand; I know it's a 100 watt UV-B which I use for heating also, it works great.

I have a very big window that I keep open, so she also gets some light naturally and her cage’s top is diagonal and a mesh top (she doesn’t have access to the mesh). She just, angles her head randomly, not towards anything maybe it has nothing to do with her health and sometimes they do it?

Ah **** for the teeth!! Okay this ticked me off even more. I mean… HOW can you let THAT happen to an animal?!

A hand towel? Like a washcloth? Does it have to be wet? What is it used for?

Awesome site! Thank you!

As for the mouth the swelling of the gums is minor, she just seems to… Okay! I will try to take a picture haha.

ziggy23":3vckgdbq said:
You could try baths to help regain muscle. Make it lukewarm like you would for a baby, and fill it to about armpit or shoulder height. The water will take some of the weight off the limbs making it easier for her to move them.

I once rescued an iguana that couldn't stand either. She wasn't in as bad shape but still it was pretty bad. She was eventually able to stand, run and climb.

You might try worms. They aren't fast so she might have an easier time feeding herself. Reptiworms or phoenix worms are small, so those would probably be good for her to try. Wax worms are good for a treat, they're small and high in fat which she could probably use right now.

I’m scared for the baths, although she can raise her head; she can’t raise it that high so I usually place a hand underneath her. I’m pretty sure her mobility is permanently reduced the vet said she has (well had) metabolic bone disease. Her joints were not fused, but they aren’t flexible or mangled either, now that the swelling went down, they just seem limp and she can’t move them much.

I do give her baths once every 2-3 days (usually every 3 days) she’s like, flat, her upper limbs can’t move too much so even in water she won’t be able to get off the ground too much. They’re semi stiff but somewhat flexible when I gently move them.

And YEY for the worms, I’ll get a ton but because of the missing teeth and her inability to chew something gooey (probably? Please correct me?) I’ll put them in a blender and do some mega worm/cricket and fat worms (AKA wax worms haha) I’ll throw in some butter squash and the vitamin paste and calcium. It will be… Yummy? Haha.

Spookle":3vckgdbq said:
Well done for taking on the poor little guy, makes me angry how so called animal lovers can let their pets get into such a state, i'm not an expert but it sounds like you are doing a great job and from experience i know it is very exhausting physicaly and mentally, sadly we didn't save out rescue and she died a couple of weeks ago so my heart goes out to you and i hope you have a better out come than we did, as for having the little guy put to sleep, i think you are the best person to make that choice as you know how much or little progress your beardie is making and you will know if it's the right choice for your baby, please keep us updated and my thoughts are with you and your baby.

Thank you so much. Yup it’s exhausting (plus I’m dealing with a young, big and BLIND Goldfish right now) but it’s more than worth it. I know for a fact, when someone is starving (especially seen with people in eating disorders) you’re mentally and psychologically not functioning well at some point. The brain does not have the proper “nutrients”. It’s like someone would be desiccated psychologically. The hormones and balance goes hand in hand with what you eat (this goes for people that starved themselves; anorexia nervosa, bulimia, purging, over eating…). As I said, I have no idea how reptiles works mechanically, but I know they are close to mammals in a certain way (Arachnida and Insecta are further apart than Mammalia and Reptilia) so I wouldn’t be too surprised.

AHBD":3vckgdbq said:
Well, you really have showed an amazing amount of patience, care and determination to give this dragon a chance. It's a good guess to say that no one can know what such severe trauma does to an animal [ or human ] to affect them physically, their mobility and including brain function. I mention that because of her odd habit of banging her head, which is a really strange behavior. She's been through a terrible ordeal, that's for sure. I don't think she'll ever be able to really get around. I;m amazed that she actually eats on her own....for an animal, that's a good sign, and I would almost think euthanasia in her severe state if it weren't for that one fact,[that she does eat,] in view of all the other things she has going against her. But if she's eating , moving and doesn't seem in pain, she has a chance. Just wondering, does she have a UVB light? The UVB is blocked by the window, the glass filters it out so she can't get any that way. UVB is important for calcium absorption and over - all health.

Yups for the window, she does have a UVB 100 watt bulb which keeps up a perfect temp, but sunlight can’t hurt her I figure. Anyways, my bedroom where I keep her is very big and the window takes over 1/3 of the wall and I like reading at the window on my bed so it’s open often and I have a few plants in my room that thrive so I guess I’m going the light thing alright haha.

PIcs are coming up on the next post!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
The hand towel is not wet and she just loves to lay on it, as a person would cuddle up with a blanket. Just a comfort thing. :wink:

RaineKoenig

Original Poster
Beardednoob":2sk6d7u0 said:
The hand towel is not wet and she just loves to lay on it, as a person would cuddle up with a blanket. Just a comfort thing. :wink:

Gotcha! Thank you!

If I use a 100% cotton towel for her substrate instead of the newspaper on tiles, would this work?

Pics are coming in a few minutes, I'm uploading them to photobucket.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Yes that will work, just replace it often, I would keep at least 2 that way when one is being used the other is being washed.

RaineKoenig

Original Poster
Alright, let's try this picture thing!

Let me put you into context;
I got her in Feb. 2011. She was flat, and I mean flatter than she is now, it was unbelievable; under half and inch thick. When you touched her stomach, there was no consistency, it was caved in. Her pelvis bones (?? humm, the two bones before the tail?) were very highly visible. As you can see she also has a few missing fingers (on all limbs). Her "ear canal" (the outside "bridge" of the ear?) seems collapsed, but at least now you see something, it was completely closed off. The skin on her lower eyelid (?? under her eye?) was very blue. She was limp, did not open her eyes, could not open her mouth, did not move and did not fight back when I was picking her up. The upper limbs were swollen to I guess 3 times their normal size and her lower limbs were skinny and bony. Her nose was plugged up, very deeply it took me about 45 mins to gently get all the **** out of her nose. Her fingers (mostly on the upper limbs) were fused together in a very solid, old gunky crust which deformed her nail permanently (this is just my guess). It took me OVER 7 hours to clean all that **** (literally it was ****) off it was a mix of faeces and old food, over layer of more faecal matter and more food, and more faeces. I mean, her "hands" were a ball of crap. You wouldn't believe it. I used scalpels, hemostats, hypodermic needles, warm saline solution, medical towel and gauze to remove all that. It was hard something I had to manipulate the fingers and I could tell she was in discomfort because with the little energy she had she actually moved. Her joints were stiff but a bit flexible.

I stayed up all night once because I was SURE she was dying, then two weeks later same thing. I didn't want to leave her alone.

Now:
She's 17.5 inches long, I just measured her. She's a bit dirty she needs her bath tomorrow, I fed her and she has a tendency to plunge into the food, which is a good thing, she seems to "hunt" it, and she's very alert with crickets but just can't run after them she's too slow. She can semi walk/crawl she has movement (but limited) in her limbs, I wish she could actually get herself off the ground, at least she can move her head. She can actually pull herself on her basking log. She's clean (!!!) unless she tackles bug soup and food I have to clean her off right after of the next day. She ALWAYS has fresh food in her cage. She moves and wiggles like an eel (I have eels actually haha) when I pick her up. She poops! Her poop has a very good consistency and she can actually lift her tail up when she goes to the bathroom. Thinking about it, her limbs and joints ARE much more flexible and she seems to be in no discomfort when I examine her.

Sorry for the pictures with my finger in it, I think she likes me so I have to bug her a bit for her to open her mouth (touch her on the side of her mouth).

If you look to your right side on the picture, inside her mouth on the bottom half, between her tongue and lips/jaws, the is some white soft tissue which seems to have some minor swelling. She doesn't have teeth so maybe is the irritation and friction when she eats? Any ideas?
DSCF2067.jpg

You can also note some swelling in the same area. It seems to be soft tissue to me, but I am completely unsure. I have No experience with reptilia.
DSCF2064.jpg

On this one she is dirty, it was after a meal and I let her bask instead of taking her for a bath right after. I have noted that the beard and neck area seem to be too skinny and lack of health. As you can also see, but not as well, her ear bridge/canal seems collapsed or lifeless.
DSCF1559.jpg

Her basking log was dirty (she is a VERY messy eater and food ends up EVERYWHERE so I wash it before going to bed when she doesn't use it, sorry for that) this was a week or so ago, after a cricket feeding. As you can see (the focus is off her limbs though) the loose and surplus of skin which is present after the most part of swelling went down.
DSCF1557.jpg

As you can see here; the surplus of skin is still pleasant. I assure you she looks much better than she did. You can see how the upper part of her arm has no noticeable swelling but the lower part of the arm still has swelling present. She has no mass and it is quite tender and seems almost perfectly healthy to the touch.
DSCF2055.jpg

This is her in a relaxed position without any interference on my part; note the dessicated lower limbs and the thickness of the upper limbs. Let me comment that her lower limbs were much, much skinnier when I got her, that's after 5 months of daily care. Also her pelvic (two bones at the tail) are less prominent and barely noticeable.
DSCF2056.jpg

Here you can clearly see the damaged cause after starvation. Those limbs are noticeable less stiff but still lack weight.
DSCF2059.jpg

Here you can clearly see her ears and profile features. Her jaw is uneven with the lower one being more prominent. I'm not sure if this is normal. You can see the collapsed ear bridge.
DSCF2060.jpg

Here you can note how thin she is, but she gained a lot of thickness in the last few months and her stomach has more consistency to the touch. This is her usual "upright" position.
DSCF2058.jpg

Here is a picture showing how much she can actually lift herself of the ground, it's not much, but it's progress, although I'm not sure how much more, if any, she will be able to make. She can independently move around with some effort and a some difficulty.
DSCF2061.jpg

RaineKoenig

Original Poster
Beardednoob":1o8jji5p said:
Yes that will work, just replace it often, I would keep at least 2 that way when one is being used the other is being washed.

Perfect!

What do you think of the pictures? I will move them up to the top part of the thread and connect my first post with this one so people can see it more clearly.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I think those pictures are so sad. Did the vet say if she has MBD?
I personally would report the previous owners but, that is just me. Dragons have rights just like any other household pet.

RaineKoenig

Original Poster
Beardednoob":2u5hhf55 said:
I think those pictures are so sad. Did the vet say if she has MBD?
I personally would report the previous owners but, that is just me. Dragons have rights just like any other household pet.

Yes that's what she said, but she seemed a bit baffled why the dragon was not "mangled". I'm not a 100% sure if I understood her correctly, she said it was mild to medium, but with everything else the health was too poor and she didn't have much chance.

(Important note; when I was in my mid-teens I adopted a rat from our local shelter, I didn't have much money and she developed Pneumonia and was gasping for air, couldn't eat, couldn't breathe. I took her to the vet, but the treatment was about 250$-300$ and I didn't have the money so the only option was to put her down. The vet decided that she has a chance and the money doesn't matter and she did everything for FREE they didn't even want one penny! So when I got older, I got more money and I was donating to them and still am, although I don't keep those kind of pets any more; in case there's someone else in my situation. And because of that, she took me in immediately and did every test possible for FREE!!!)

As for the owners, I highly doubt they would do anything about them, probably just tell them not to do it. I got her when my friend was looking for some chrome mags (or something for cars that I got no idea about - but it's shiny) and when we got there it was... Errrm... They lived in a very small apartment from what I could tell, there were 2 kids wandering around and everything STUNK. Imagine all the possible clichés. The mother (I would guess?) was probably a drug addict or an alcoholic and the father (also, just a logical assumption) was extra shady. My friend passed on the deal (he was looking for something specific, and he knew they must be stolen and he wouldn't drive around with those, no way someone like them could afford it - it might be a bad stereotype, I'm sorry but it was very true). I saw the 10 gallon cage in a corner with wood chips and them smoking, so I told them I'll take it and gave them 5$... We couldn't breathe, so I can't imagine the kids or the lizard. And they were rambling about the government trying to take the kids away or something so if they're aloud to keep kids... We were stunned and ran the hell out of there with the lizard and went directly to the vet. It was Feb. and I live in North America so I cuddled her in my coat. That's the story.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my god I am in tears right now, that poor little angel. Thank you so much for trying to give her a life. I just don't understand how someone could treat a living thing like that. I could say so many things right now but I won't. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kubet77 là nhà cái đánh giá uy tín hoạt động từ năm 2005, có giấy phép bảo hộ từ PAGCOR, thu hút nhiều người chơi tại Việt Nam và Châu Á nhờ dịch vụ đáng tin cậy. Website: Kubet77 🎖️ Nhà Cái Cá Cược Trực Tuyến Đáng Chơi Nhất 2024 Địa chỉ: Số 27 Đường số 7, Cityland Park Hills,
Go88 là một trong những nhà cái cá cược trực tuyến hàng đầu với danh tiếng vững chắc trong cộng đồng người chơi.
Tag: #appgo88link #go88link #Game_Go88 #Game_bài_Go88 #Cổng_game_Go88 #Tài_xỉu_Go88 #Nạp_tiền_Go88 #Rút_tiền_Go88 #play_Go88
https://smartcity.bandung.go.id/member/bsc3090527795d
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinogame
Top Bottom