Rescue Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leneabean

Hi everyone. I'm extremely new to this. My boyfriend loves reptiles and when a distant family member wanted to get rid of their bearded dragon because they did not want it anymore, he was more than happy to let him into our home. His previous owners did feed him but they didn't handle him or bathe him. Well, when he was brought here I was pretty much indifferent. All I knew is he would scratch the living hell out of my boyfriend every time he tried to take him out of his tank. Luckily, he's not a biter. He's 4 years old but basically he's very new to us.

Anyways, I held him for the first time just 4/5 days ago and when my boyfriend put him on my lap, he calmed down after a while and eventually fell asleep there. I thought it was so sweet and thought about his neglect and started crying in front of all of our friends haha. Anyways, since then I have become incredibly attached to him. I get him out of his tank every afternoon to feed him squash and collard greens. I'm not comfortable hand feeding him yet as he's still aggressive there but I put him on my lap and place the food on my leg and he eats it off me.

Also, every night a few hours before I know he likes to sleep, I let him lay on my chest and he usually crawls up to my neck and falls asleep then I put a soft blanket over the two of us. The past two nights, when I move him from my chest to his viv he doesn't even wake up. I don't know if this is common or because he's used to me, but I love him so much so quickly. He doesn't freak out when I pick him up out of his tank. He's calm and I just put him on my chest. He clings to me sometimes when I put him back into his tank after he eats but he has to go in to digest and do this thing. I keep a shirt of mine in his tank on the cool side and he usually sleeps on it.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself thinking we've bonded already, but I'm just so excited. As far as feeding and heating and stuff like that, I know my stuff because like I said my boyfriend is basically a reptile expert. I tried to give him his first bath in the sink but he was freaking out even though the water was extremely shallow. My boyfriend tried to take him out but he was scratching him bad but he was okay when I lifted him a bit and used my hands to pour water on him then took him out, put him on a towel, then patted him dry. I read that they can prefer one owner over another, but I don't know if that's true.

Basically I'm posting this because I don't know if I'm getting ahead of myself and I also am looking for some bonding tips, extra care tips, and definitely some bathing tips!!! The weather is getting nice here soon and I want to get a harness and take him outside, but I don't want to give him too much at once! Anyways, here's a picture of him falling asleep on me before bed:
12961680_10205958053729551_3665954725118810103_n.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....you're pretty much doing everything right. :) It's sweet that he feels relaxed enough to eat from your lap already, and good that you know that he has to be in his tank for a few hours after he eats. Watch out that he doesn't poo on you, there are subtle signs like a little wiggle of the rear end , splaying of the feet and lifting the tail just a bit.

Some dragons just hate baths, so it's fine if you just give him one when he's shedding or when he's dirty. Water can be given with a syringe, eyedropper or small spray bottle directly on the snout. You spray [ or drip ] wait, repeat and after 30-60 seconds they usually drink. Of course you can mop up excess water after, and you don't need to soak the tank or cage decor. He can also get a good bit of hydration from his veggies.

Post a pic of his set up when you can, and enjoy your new family member !

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's a cute little guy. I'm glad to hear that you are bonding with him. It sounds like you're doing everything as I'd suggest and it's working. Just keep it up and be patient with him. If his scratches are getting too much to handle you can trim his nails with a nail clipper or file them down with an emery board. That helps keep them from scratching too hard. Outside time is a good idea if he's up for it. I've found that the harnesses that go around their waist seem to be less intrusive/irritating than the ones their arms go through. You can even use a piece of parachute cord and some beads to make your own leash. Just a loop to go around his waist will be enough. I'm happy to hear that he has a good home now =)

leneabean

Original Poster
AHBD":29umeqfz said:
Hi there....you're pretty much doing everything right. :) It's sweet that he feels relaxed enough to eat from your lap already, and good that you know that he has to be in his tank for a few hours after he eats. Watch out that he doesn't poo on you, there are subtle signs like a little wiggle of the rear end , splaying of the feet and lifting the tail just a bit.

Some dragons just hate baths, so it's fine if you just give him one when he's shedding or when he's dirty. Water can be given with a syringe, eyedropper or small spray bottle directly on the snout. You spray [ or drip ] wait, repeat and after 30-60 seconds they usually drink. Of course you can mop up excess water after, and you don't need to soak the tank or cage decor. He can also get a good bit of hydration from his veggies.

Post a pic of his set up when you can, and enjoy your new family member !

Right now he has his old set up as its only been a week. They said they just changed his bedding, but it's coconut which I know isn't good. I ordered ceramic tiles online and I'm waiting for them to come in the mail! i made him a little pen to walk around in in our room because I'm nervous about the coconut, but when he's in there at the times he needs to be, he's usually basking on his log or sleeping on a shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom