ReptiSun fixture sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnsNova

Just curious, where did everyone get their fixtures to hold the ReptiSun lights? I went to Home Depot and Lowes. I sure did get strange looks when I told them it was for a lizard cage. Oh well... Even with help, I was unable to find a 24" T8 fixture. Home Depot said that a T8 doesn't come in that size at all. Ugh All I could find were larger T8's and the right size in T12. Guess where I ended up finding the damn thing? The exact place where I had been earlier in the day to do the grocery shopping... good 'ole Walmart. They had the fixture in either white or black, the black one came with one of those purple lights that make posters and things glow. Anyway, I found a 24", but T8 wasn't prominently on the front. On the back of the package, in tiny letters way at the bottom it said "replace with a T8 bulb". Yay!! Thanks to the poster who gave me the head's up to look there. I just assumed they wouldn't have it and went straight to the home improvement places. It was ten dollars and change. I was just about to pay over forty for an aquarium type hood. Chevelle and I can't wait for her new cage accessories to get here tomorrow. She'll be sunny orange and gold, eating like a horse in no time.

doe222

Juvie Member
that kind of happend with me as well. i bought a 48in t8 reptisun online and was told it would work in a 32watt fixture (even tho it is a 36watt bulb) from walmart. blew the bulb immideatly. so i got it replaced. the light your talking about is called a blacklight btw. i had a 48in blacklight from halloween last years and noticed it was a 36. so i am also using a blacklight fixture for my reptisun. i was told a singlebulb 36+watt t8 fixture is like unpurchasable w/o spending hundreds of dollars. guess they have never been to spencers gifts at the mall :)

DawnsNova

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.
The fixture I got at WallyWorld is a 24" 17 watt. The ReptiSun 24" is also a 17 watt. So, does the fixture need to be rated for a higher wattage than the bulb? Even though I found the ReptiSun for $24.00, I would hate to turn the light on just to hear it sizzle then pop.
I will be so relieved when I get this lighting stuff correct, so I can watch my little orange beauty light up. It's sad to see her colors so dull, dim and sometimes stress spotted, but when she is outside in the sunshine, she is absolutely gorgeous.

c4chaos

Hatchling Member
Can one of you post a link to the walmart fixture?
I don't want to get the wrong one.
I'm hoping to find a beardie buddy soon... Please and thank you. :)

DawnsNova

Original Poster
Hi c4chaos!
I couldn't find the fixture on their site, but I took some detailed pics of my fixture's packaging for you. It is working just fine. The main thing is to read the fine print and make sure the wattage of the fixture can handle *at least* the wattage of the bulb, or all you'll get it a pop, sizzle, no light, and be out at least $25 for a new bulb...
Like I said, mine came from Walmart for ten bucks and change, and they have the fixtures in both black and white. I thought the black would be easier to hide, but they will have them together. They even have something called a grow light, but the differences are the bulb that comes with the fixture, rather than the fixture itself. It doesn't matter what bulb comes with it. Just read the back of the package carefully.

In my situation, my ReptiSun is a 24inch bulb that is rated 17 watts.

The fixture I got, the Walmart Black Light, is also 24 inch and 17 watts.

IMG_1352_zpsab451ca0.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsfd06efd6.jpg

Even though the front didn't prominently say "T8" compatible, the back did:
RB17T8BL = Replacement Bulb 17 watts T8 Black Light

IMG_1349_zpsd0371c5b.jpg

Here is my little girl's light all hooked up. If you search the list, lots of people have great ideas on how to hang the light inside the cage. Some use metal coat hangers that they have bent into hooks, 3M adhesive strips, command adhesive hooks etc. Because I have notoriously bad luck, and am hysterically clumsy, I got the most fool proof, adjustable, secure brackets I could find, easily movable from tank to tank. They came from beardeddragon.co
I moved some of the lower greenery so you could see the brackets too.

IMG_1353_zps230eccf1.jpg

If you are in the market for the ever-so-necessary ReptiSun, I'd suggest going with Beautifuldragons.com
While you may find it maybe literally a few dollars cheaper elsewhere, they are also a rescue that does some wonderful work and I'd rather spend my money there.
Hope that helped.
Dawn

c4chaos

Hatchling Member
Hi!
Thanks so much for responding. I was looking into purchasing that fixture actually... I did find it at Walmart for like 10 ish bucks...
For the first couple of months, I will have my dragon in a 20 long tank, will that work with the fixture and bulb? or is it too much UVB exposure?
I'm just hoping it's not too big...
Grah... Flustered....

DawnsNova

Original Poster
Cool!!! Yep, my little girl is in a 20L, and the 24" light fits in their just perfect, runs the length of the cage. The difference in that lizard is amazing. She is now an active hunter, eating like a horse and just gorgeous. I have her lights on at 7 and off at 8.
Glad to hear your have your lighting ready to go, good luck and keep us posted.
Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom