Reptisun 10.0 T5 w/ reflector too bright for Crossfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poopdog

Hi Beardie Fam,

So... Elliot is 7months now and has been avoiding her UVB shortly after transferring her into a crossfire viv from her 40ga about 6 weeks ago. Her appetite remained voracious and everything normal except that she started shying away from the UV light and hiding in the corners (We have ruled out parasites and early brumation with the vet).

In the 40ga she had a Reptisun T5 5.0 with reflector and was 6-8" away and had zero issues and tons of growth.

Now in her 4x2x2 we've upgraded the bulb to a 10.0 since she is generally 12-14" away. She'll bask for maybe an hour after eating and then won't go under the light the rest of the day. She's gaining weight more slowly and is now on liquid calcium to reverse the effects of some very mild MBD symptoms.

If you have a crossfire with a UVB with a reflector what are you using and at what distances? I'm starting to wonder if the 10.0 T5 with a reflector is actually too strong a light without a screen to filter. I have been reading everything available on this and other forums about the lighting tests for these and it is really difficult to tell if I should go back to the 5.0 or not. It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of recent info out there from the last few years.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
For a 5% T8HO tube in a reflector hood - see
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

==> about 6 inches from the tube in a reflector hood is actually ideal , the UVB flux will be about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot and should be about 100 microW UVB / sq.cm elsewhere.

A 10%UVB T5HO in a reflector hood needs to be about 12 inches from the basking spot to have the above fluxes of UVB .

This is applicable to all types of viv including what you American's call Crossfires, we here simply regard these as standard timber vivs. Glass fishtanks with mesh lids are frowned on here in Australia and regarded as best avoided for beardies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The 10.0 should be fine but you can always try the 5.0 again and see if the behavior changes. If so, adjust furnishings so the dragon can get close enough if they want.

Out of curiosity is your new cage at the same height as the old one? I had more issues with pepper when his cage was on the floor vs. when he is higher up and has a more commanding view of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom