Reptile Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, and your letter is EXCELLENT....it shows maturity and a friendly and level - headed approach. Good for you ! The planted anole / frog tanks are cool, I used to keep both, with several types of frogs. If the tank there looks dry, they do need sprayed generally twice a day, the plants and substrate look dry, and if frogs dry out even for a short time they can die quickly.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I know that the beardies are in awful shape but it's not going to help them (or me because I'd really do want to learned and work with all these guys- minus the taranchula. He's on his own for that one.) if I just come right out and confront him about it. Especially since he could very well make a living doing what he's doing and appears to have done very good with all the other animals.

IMG_20120302_135259.jpg

Here's is one of the planted aquariums. It was moist but not at all muddy, there also wasn't any visible water sitting at the bottom of the tank. Inside it had anoles, a skink and a tree frog or two.

Here's what I've got now. I don't think there's much more I can add without making it too long so I'll go ahead and let it sit for awhile in case anyone has any suggestions
Hello, I was waiting for my Gen Bio II lab this last Friday and noticed an iguana in the room across so my curiosity got the best of me and I took a look around. I think I spent an hour looking at all your different set ups and species, I've never seen a planted aquarium before and I thought the community tank with the anoles looked fantastic. My professor later told me that you were in charge of all the aquariums in the biology department but she wasn't sure if you needed or were looking for any help.

I am majoring in Zoology and I would really appreciate the opportunity to work with the different reptiles you have, whether that's helping with the regular feeding, cleaning or general maintenance. I've had experience with Leopard Geckos and currently have and know a lot about the Bearded Dragon but could easily catch up on the others as well. As far as feeders I have never tried to start a mealworm or superworm colony but do have a Dubia roach colony with about 200 adults-sub adults that should start reproducing soon.

I'm sure you have a system and everything under control but something similar to your position is what I'd like to do when I get out of school so I would love to learn a little bit about how you got started and worked up to what you have now. Please let me know if you could use an extra hand or wouldn't mind letting me help out. Thanks,
Andi
Did a little more research and this person has been working for the department for 10 years. I'm guessing he's between 25 and 35.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
The content is excellent, Andi.Your letter is very sincere, straightforward, and well-composed. If you'd like an extra eye for puctuation when you're done with proofreading, I'd be happy to help. What a wonderful opportunity for both you and the animals if you can make this work, which I do believe you are capable of doing. Young people like yourself creating positive change in the world is very inspiring. Thank you. Esther :D

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Esther19":19cpdq77 said:
The content is excellent, Andi.Your letter is very sincere, straightforward, and well-composed. If you'd like an extra eye for puctuation when you're done with proofreading, I'd be happy to help. What a wonderful opportunity for both you and the animals if you can make this work, which I do believe you are capable of doing. Young people like yourself creating positive change in the world is very inspiring. Thank you. Esther :D
Thank you, you made my day :D But yes, that would be great. It's spring break so I'd like to get it sent out asap, I doubt he'll be going anywhere if he's in charge of all the animals but the sooner he gets it the sooner I'll know if I get the "job".

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not the reply I was hoping for...

Thanks for the expressing an interest in working with the animals. I'm glad you enjoyed taking a look at the Bio 100 collection. I currently have 3 students who work for me and I am not looking for more help at this time. I will, however, keep your name and email on file for future reference. I will let you know if I have an opening. You should know upfront that my students do very little work with the animals you saw. I care for them exclusively during the week and have the students do minimal care for them on weekends. My students spend their time in the animal care facility taking care of the rats and mice that are used for research.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Evergreen":21hajur0 said:
Not the reply I was hoping for...

Thanks for the expressing an interest in working with the animals. I'm glad you enjoyed taking a look at the Bio 100 collection. I currently have 3 students who work for me and I am not looking for more help at this time. I will, however, keep your name and email on file for future reference. I will let you know if I have an opening. You should know upfront that my students do very little work with the animals you saw. I care for them exclusively during the week and have the students do minimal care for them on weekends. My students spend their time in the animal care facility taking care of the rats and mice that are used for research.

Well time to call him out on his sickly animals i think, if he's going to act like a jackass about it.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yep, if I can't get in there to take care of them myself then I will just have to let him know that they're in bad shape. I'll check on them Monday and see if anything has changed, it's spring break so there aren't any students in the building which hopefully means he's spent the week closely going over everyone.

Being that these animals are at a state university I am a little disappointed that those who would like to help out or learn more don't get the opportunity to. Of course he couldn't let everyone that asks help or it's be to hard to keep track of their care and if it was me I'd also want to be the main caretaker of my animals. But if you're going to work at a university then I think you should be prepared to interact with the students who actually want to know more about what you do, not just let a couple help clean up after the lab rats. (which I wouldn't complain about since it at least opens the door to be able to help with the other animals in the future and would look good on an application for an Animal Care Tech.)

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry for the double post...

Just wanted to share an ad I found on craigslist of two gorgeous dragon boys and my "dream tank". I'm hoping one day I can get a job similar to what this guy has at the university, I'd stalk craigslist like a hawk and have a room filled in no time!

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Evergreen":29b6ad9a said:
Yep, if I can't get in there to take care of them myself then I will just have to let him know that they're in bad shape. I'll check on them Monday and see if anything has changed, it's spring break so there aren't any students in the building which hopefully means he's spent the week closely going over everyone.

Being that these animals are at a state university I am a little disappointed that those who would like to help out or learn more don't get the opportunity to. Of course he couldn't let everyone that asks help or it's be to hard to keep track of their care and if it was me I'd also want to be the main caretaker of my animals. But if you're going to work at a university then I think you should be prepared to interact with the students who actually want to know more about what you do, not just let a couple help clean up after the lab rats. (which I wouldn't complain about since it at least opens the door to be able to help with the other animals in the future and would look good on an application for an Animal Care Tech.)

if nothing else we could just send a jackassload of email complaints to the state ASPCA and/or the University board, ect. if it's a state university, he will get in DEEP doodoo if he makes their name look bad and that's just what he's doing.

I would even suggest printing this whole thread out and physically mailing it to his college inbox.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not yet. I was going to check on them this upcoming Monday and see if anything has changed. I'm going to reply to him saying that the beardies don't look good but I'm still writing it out trying to make it sound like I'm not attacking or judging him for their awful condition. If I get this email out tonight or tomorrow and nothing has changed by the time I see them Monday then I'll consider it a fair warning and contact the department about my concerns.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
I would flat out go to the director of that sciences division of the college and complain. Explain your experience in Bearded dragons and explain that those animals are very sick and need medical attention immediately or they may very well die in the conditions they are in now.

I can't express how impressed I am with the letter you sent to them, I can say that I would never have been as kind to them over the situation at hand.

If it helps your position, take the pictures you took of the sick beardies with you to visit that director, then bring your dragon with you, or bring pictures of your dragon and show him what a healthy dragon looks like. Express that you WILL contact ASPCA authorities and the college's Board of Directors if something is not done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom