Reptile Omnivore Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxcgf

I got this new omnivore mix at the petstore and it includes green beans, peas, greens, crickets, worms, and locusts (or some type of beetle). I have school 5 days a week so it makes it very easy on me for feeding. Just wondering since it has alot of variety can it be used as a staple? I sprinkle calcium and vitamin dust on it every now and then. My dragon is 2 1/2 months old (roughly) and 9 3/4 inches long. I feed mealworms pretty constantly (maybe 2-4 a day because i know its not good for them but she loves them) and the temps are all correct. I have noticed that when I come home the bowl doesn't look any more empty, but I see feces on the ground and she looks healthy (fat). Anyone ever used this stuff with success? :?:

TipsyTraveler

Hatchling Member
Im also tempted to try it, its also a LOT cheaper, and when your partner wont let you breed or keep crickets/worms in bulk its helpful. someone please answer this.

AllysonM

The freezedried stuff? I wouldn't use it as a staple.
I work at a petstore that uses freezedried veggies as our only "fresh" veggie for the reptiles and after a while it takes a toll on their health, especially the tortoises. We do rehydrate it, but it doesn't have nearly the amount of vitamins and such that actual fresh stuff has due to being freezedried.
That said, I use freezedried bugs as sort of an "emergency food." If mine feels like he's starving, he's got a bowl of freezedried bugs in there he can snack on till his next feeding. And he never liked the freezedried veggies anyway lol. Gave me the stink eye as soon as they hit his bowl.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Agreed, the omnivore mix has meal worms in it which are a risk for bearded dragons because their exoskeleton is difficult for a beardie to digest. They also contain little nutrients. I would only offer that stuff as a treat once in awhile and not use it as a staple.

Go to the grocery store and buy a mixture of veggies, collards, dandelion, mustards and cut them all at once over the weekend, maybe some butternut squash (which can be frozen after cut). then get a bunch of zip lock baggies from the dollar store and make a bunch of little baggies with individual portions, that way when you're in a hurry you can just dump them in and go.

Also stick to live feeders such as crickets, reptiworms, dubia and even silk worms if you can get them. Your beardie can eat 25+ small crickets a day, so offer as much as he/she can eat for 15 minutes three times a day.

Hope this helps.

Nyxcgf

Original Poster
It did help, thanks. I ran out of feeders but my 500 reptiworms will come in today, is Nyx okay because I have only been feeding her collard greens and a few mealworms every day for the past week because of lack of food. Is she gonna be fine?

TipsyTraveler

Hatchling Member
Nyxcgf":cvi9l9t4 said:
It did help, thanks. I ran out of feeders but my 500 reptiworms will come in today, is Nyx okay because I have only been feeding her collard greens and a few mealworms every day for the past week because of lack of food. Is she gonna be fine?

Nyx will be fine. But stop feeding her the mealworms. Bad for her even if she wants some meat. I totally understand where you're coming from this happens sometimes. Only feed her greens. Try to keep this time in between shipments. As small as possible by ordering more BEFORE you run out. Only feed her a VARIETY of greens for a max of about4 days. You should really go out and buy a 3$ can of freeze dried crickets for these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom