ReptiGlo Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. :blob8:

I am looking to replace to my UVB light, at the moment I am using a tube tho not sure about exact brands. The guy at the reptile store wants to sell me a Repti Glo Coil light, and after reading some posts here I'm under the impression that is no good.

So three questions:
1) Is the Repti Glo coil okay or not?
2) If not, where can I find articles/evidence of this to show him why I don't want it?
3) Which brands are recommended?

Thank you!

Lilandi

Tigg

Juvie Member
Coild and Compact lights in general are not good. They emit very poor levels of UVB.

The ReptiGlo just happens to be the worst, not only is the UVB output sub par, the spectrum of light can lead to ocular irritation and prolonged use can lead to permanent damage in herps.

My suggestion is to call a local vet who specializes in reptiles... Most times they will be willing to give very quick advice over the phone, especially in a case such as this where they will be helping an animal.

You can go into the Beardie ER, or Health section and search "ReptiGlo" and look through the thousands of posts from members with sick or dying beardies.

This link will also help...
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

In a smaller enclosure you best options for UVB are the ReptiSun 10.0 or Acadia 12% Strip/Tube fluorescent lights, you will also need to purchase a fixture for the light and as with all UVB lights you will want to ensure there is no screen, glass, or plastic between the light, and your beardie.

In larger enclosures where head can dissipate easier and you would be able to obtain a thermal gradient throughout the cage, a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) Is your best option for UVB output as there is nothing else on the market that compares to the high quality UVB rays these bulbs emit.

rEdhEadgiRly

Original Poster
Thanks Tigg :D I appreciate the info a lot! I am planning to get a bigger tank anyway so will try find a MVB. Most of the pet stores I've been to recently are jumping onto the 'coil lights are great' bandwagon and it gets me so :angry5: but my baby will get the best only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom