Rep points

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Is there anyway that we can implement a rep points system? There are so many people here offering up info but, how do you know who to listen to? with a rep point system the users could click "add rep point" or something like that, and this way you have at least a better idea of their credibility.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Within every thread there is great advice given and if there is any mis-information. it is quickly corrected. It's a good idea, but I think every thread would end up having high rep points. Daily, there is great information given.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":27d54 said:
Within every thread there is great advice given and if there is any mis-information. it is quickly corrected. It's a good idea, but I think every thread would end up having high rep points. Daily, there is great information given.

the rep points would not be for the indivdual threads. It would be for users. For instance, if i made a good post, you could add a rep point to me. And anytime you look at my avatar it could say...

repstuff.jpg

so this way, users have reputation amongst the community.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":d4954 said:
Not bad. "rep power" I like it.

and as an example, since you like this idea and see it as a good post, idea, suggestion, you could add a rep point for me. :D

Youkai

Hatchling Member
Please don't take this the wrong way, I think it's a great idea and could be very helpful to new members who are overwhelmed with information......BUT.....

I've been a member of far too many forums, a moderator on quite a few, and admin'd one or two myself and I've seen this request many times. It always starts off helpful and then just turns into a huge mess.
For one, it can be a bear for moderators and admin's to manage rep points and resolve disputes and things like that.
I've also seen it turn into a huge popularity contest and spread far past the initial reason for having it.

I think on ANY other forum it might not be a bad idea, but as ErinMeetsMachine pointed out, there is just not much "bad" or "wrong" information given on these boards. If there is, it gets corrected quickly.
I'm still pretty new here myself and sure I've been overwhelmed with info many times but not much, if any, has been confusing or conflicting.

Just my 2 cents, not trying to step on any toes. :mrgreen:

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Youkai":b963f said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, I think it's a great idea and could be very helpful to new members who are overwhelmed with information......BUT.....

I've been a member of far too many forums, a moderator on quite a few, and admin'd one or two myself and I've seen this request many times. It always starts off helpful and then just turns into a huge mess.
For one, it can be a bear for moderators and admin's to manage rep points and resolve disputes and things like that.
I've also seen it turn into a huge popularity contest and spread far past the initial reason for having it.

I think on ANY other forum it might not be a bad idea, but as ErinMeetsMachine pointed out, there is just not much "bad" or "wrong" information given on these boards. If there is, it gets corrected quickly.
I'm still pretty new here myself and sure I've been overwhelmed with info many times but not much, if any, has been confusing or conflicting.

Just my 2 cents, not trying to step on any toes. :mrgreen:

you are absolutely not stepping on toes at all. Moderators and admins would never have to monitor them at all. that is the beauty part of this. It is controlled by the users and members of the board. There are no disputes that would ever have to be settled because of rep points. if you think somebody made a good post, you just hit thank you and that person gets a rep point.

As for ErinMeetsMachine's point, she(i am assuming "she") misunderstood thinking that the rep points would be for the individual thread. In reality, as I responded before, the rep points go to individual users.

typically with this system on many forums that I belong to, admin and moderate, it is a great system that really helps everybody gauge a persons input as trustworthy or not as trustworthy.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
This has come up a couple times before over the years. I've never been a fan of "rep" systems. While it's a nice idea in theory, the implementations never seem to truly lend themselves to reality unless a site has VERY high traffic levels. We're only a small-medium sized community, so the "truth" of a rep rating tends to be skewed. It becomes more a popularity thing. But also, they exclude new members who may be very knowledgeable, and can be frustrating for those who actually do know what they're talking about, but haven't "built up" a solid rep yet.

It would be a good idea... but just hard to get it to be truly meaningful. Always a possibility, though... I've not seen many that I actually like that plugin to phpBB, so I'd likely have to create one myself. Also, most out there plugin to phpBB by modifying the base code (called "mods" because they modify the code), which I am not a fan of. Each mod added to the system makes updating standard updates all that much more complicated and risks breaking the site. If I were to implement it myself, (for those into the techie stuff) it would be to modify the templates for the site, and use the support for having code in the templates. It's generally frowned upon for various reasons, but in my opinion, those reasons are minimal and templates are already considered "distinct" for a site. Standard updates don't break custom display templates and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom