Rep-Cal Supplement Mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedmantis

I've been researching supplements in preparation for getting a Bearded Dragon soon, and I've come across something that has confused me. Common practice seems to be to alternate calcium and vitamin supplements, ~5 days and ~2 days each respectively. Rep-cal seems to be a popular choice for this method. Or an alternative would be an 'all-in-one' supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus.

But I see on Rep-Cal's website, their dosage instruction is to mix the two:

"1) Thoroughly mix a 1:1 ratio of Rep-Cal and Herptivite in a plastic bag.
2) Place insects in the bag.
3) Shake slowly until they are completely covered."

http://www.repcal.com/supp.htm

This seems to suggest they intend their product to be an all-in-one, and it would be sold as such if possible. (From the site: "If we premixed the products, the "beadlets" of beta carotene in Herptivite may possibly be damaged during manufacturing by the calcium in Rep-Cal")

Is there advice elsewhere from Rep-Cal (or other vitamin products) that lead to the current suggestions for feeding? I know I can't have found everything, as there is far too much information out there to dig through.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That might work for some reptiles/pets, but for dragons, it is best to stick to what you've read.
You've got to remember too that most times manufacturers make general recommendations, and they aren't geared specifically to any 1 creature.

You can mix the two if you want, but I'd still follow the dosing protocol you've likely seen around here. 5x calcium a week 2x multi.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom