Rep-Cal "Phosphorus-Free" Calcium with Vit.D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
So I just opened this brand of calcium supplement (which was sealed), but I don't think I'm going to use it due to a concern of color and smell, even though it doesn't expire for another two years. I've never used this brand before, but having used other Calcium+D3 reptile supplements, I've never noticed what I noticed with this particular brand/container.

First off, the powder isn't white like other brands, it's grey in color. I also noticed a very strong smell that I can only compare to the smell of spray paint. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I decided that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Any communal thoughts on this brand? I also bought this brand's multi-vitamin (purchased at the same time), which smells and looks like other multi-vitamin brands that I've used.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I used Rep-Cal for many years, it's always been a grey color...but I haven't noticed any odor from it.
A cheap source if calcium is fruit flavored generic Tumms..it's basically calcium carbonate with some binding agents in it. I powder it in my coffee grinder....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rep-Cal is a reputable brand. I haven't used their calcium but none of my calcium supplements have any smell that I'm noticing. The Rep-Cal herptivite that I have has a sort of fish food smell but it's a few years old now. I'd say if it doesn't smell right to you, toss it. The supplements are pretty cheap to replace. I've stuck with Repashy brand supplements for the past few years and like them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It'd be suspicious of how they managed to remove the phosphorus from the raw material (likely achieved by solvent extraction) so the smell will be residue solvent (probably some kerosene and benzyldimethylamine has been left .... BAD). I suggest you return the bottle to the seller for a refund.

I haven't used RepCal Calcium or Vits, used AristoPet Repti-cal for years until they changed their process and I noticed larger razer sharp shards of shell in the mix, I still us AristoPet Repti-vite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom