reoccurring tumor grown very large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
For the past year or so Loki has been battling a reoccurring tumor in his side. He has had 3 surgeries to remove the growth and each time within months it has returned. After his last surgery, I made the decision to let nature run it's course. Please don't judge me harshly by making this decision, but I truly believe that I did all I could for him.

The tumor lately has grown pretty huge to say the least. It runs clear down his side and greatly impedes his movement.

Every year about this time Loki goes into brumation and stops eating. I was not surprised when he attempted brumation this year as well, but this time I discouraged him. He still won't eat and I'm afraid he might be underweight.

This afternoon I gave him a soak in the sink and he seemed fairly alert. However this afternoon about an hour after his bath (he did not drink any water) I noticed him in his cage laying in a pool of rust colored liquid! I'm now concerned there is something else going on internally.

I've had my beardie Loki for 8 years ever since he was a tiny little baby. This whole thing just depresses me. I hate to think that this is the end, but I don't want to prolong any suffering. How can you tell if a lizard is suffering... you really can't can you? Right now I am just struggling with the decision to have him put down. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you. :(

photo1_zps6f744bca.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm soooooo sorry about your poor beardie Loki ! And I'm so sorry that you have to make this sad, sad decision. Who would judge you for what you decide, you have tried 3 times and this aggressive tumor has come back....you are making the right decision, pretty much the only decision that is fair to him. I imagine it must be pushing on his organs to an extent, and the pool of rust colored liquid would be very alarming, and it may be time now before he gets into a condition that would be evn harder to see. I know you're heart broken, and I'm so sorry for you and your boy. Lots of kudos to you for giving him the best life that he could have with his condition. Please know how sad others are feeling for you !

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
I'm very sorry about Loki. It's awful when you're faced with a pet with an incurable disease and don't know which road to take. My dog has had two cancer surgeries and is currently in remission, and I know how scary it is. You love Loki and gave him the best life you could, and I'm sure he knows that. That's all any person can do. When you know he is suffering more than he's enjoying life, it will be time to spare him further pain. Only you can know when it's time, since you know him best. I'm so sorry he has this awful disease.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh geez, I am so sorry about Loki, how sad. :cry:
The tumor is very large for sure. Three surgeries is a lot to put him through. Did they not remove it all during the surgery or could they not get it all each time?
No one will judge you for trying or for making a horrible decision like that.
Did the vet say whether or not it was affecting or had attached to any organ?
He knows you love him & when he is suffering, you will know as he will tell you.
My thoughts go out to you & to Loki.

Tracie

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
I don't see how anyone could judge you harshly! you have done everything you could and any decision you make will be the right one!

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have yet to make a decision on what I am going to do... whether to let him go naturally or have him put down.

Tracie, to answer you questions... No the vet was never able to remove the tumor in its entirety. Part of the tumor was attached to his chest wall. At the time of his last vet visit, it was not affecting any of his other organs but the rust colored "fluid" is not a good sign.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support! I will keep you posted.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm sure he will let you know, somehow if he wants to go. The fact that he's hanging on this long through all that means he loves you and isn't ready to leave, this is my opinion and it may be wrong but I do know beardies know when they are loved and trust their people to take the best care of them that we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom