Relocation Stress?

babybeardie79

Beardie name(s)
Drax
Hello!

I've had Drax for almost a year, she just turned a year old last month and has been doing great. Have had an issue or two with URIs, but have taken care of that and got it all sorted (she is VERY sensitive to any humidity above 30%). She's been a happy, social, sweet (and crazy-energetic) girl!

Going to preface this by saying I am trying to work out a vet appointment, my vet recently was out of work for COVID, so I am getting her in ASAP. I recently moved to a different apartment and upgraded her from a 40 G to a 120 G, but kept her tank the same layout. Since the move, she's been super stressed. She will glass surf from the moment her lights turn on until they turn off at night. She will hardly bask near her heat source. Her poops are noticeably less healthy, not quite diarrhea but not healthy. I am going to take some in to get a fecal done. Her appetite has NEVER decreased, even when terribly sick with a URI when I first got her, but a day or two ago she was more reluctant to eat her meals. She is eating normally now, but I still found it very odd and concerning. I come home from work and she is just lying on her floor looking very sad and sickly, but she jumps right back up to eat and holds herself very high and strong. She has a very sickly look in her eyes, but she is not dehydrated at all. Her skin is not loose at all and goes back quickly with a soft pinch, and her eyes are not sunken in. She also does get Flukers Reptaboost. She is not losing weight at all, her fat pads are as high as ever. She is just not herself and it really worries me.

I'm really worried about my sweet girl, I thought it was just relocation stress for awhile but it continued to worsen and now I'm not so sure. Nothing about her care has changed. I will take her fecal in ASAP and get her in whenever possible.

Enclosure:
120 G - switched from 40 G the day we moved (3 weeks ago)

Lighting:
Reptisun t5 H.O. 10.0 22" INSIDE enclosure - basking spot 8 in away
> tested daily with solarmeter 6.5R and reading needed values

Temps:
Basking spot: 95-100F - fluctuates often but checked with both a probe AND IR gun thermometer
Hot side: 90s
Cool side: up 70s-low 80s
Night time temp (CHE): 82F

Diet:
Protein (dubia/BSFL) twice daily
> dubia dusted with calcium EOD, BSFL no calcium dust
>multivitamins 2xweek
>probiotics daily
>greens (curly mustard right now) fed fresh every morning, refreshed if needed
>she will NOT eat any bell peppers/squash/etc., only her greens)
>Flukers reptaboost when needed

Cleaning:
Daily cleaning with diluted chlorhexidine
Deep cleaning with diluted ammonia and let to dry for one hour before putting her back in

Humidity:
dehumidifier on 24/7 - humidity always at 30%, never higher or lower.

Health:
Poops EOD, normally pretty healthy but not as healthy recently
VERY alert still, will react when you pick up, get near her, or try to give meds/anything. Holds herself high up when she walks, no signs of MBD.

Last edited:

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello!

I've had Drax for almost a year, she just turned a year old last month and has been doing great. Have had an issue or two with URIs, but have taken care of that and got it all sorted (she is VERY sensitive to any humidity above 30%). She's been a happy, social, sweet (and crazy-energetic) girl!

Going to preface this by saying I am trying to work out a vet appointment, my vet recently was out of work for COVID, so I am getting her in ASAP. I recently moved to a different apartment and upgraded her from a 40 G to a 120 G, but kept her tank the same layout. Since the move, she's been super stressed. She will glass surf from the moment her lights turn on until they turn off at night. She will hardly bask near her heat source. Her poops are noticeably less healthy, not quite diarrhea but not healthy. I am going to take some in to get a fecal done. Her appetite has NEVER decreased, even when terribly sick with a URI when I first got her, but a day or two ago she was more reluctant to eat her meals. She is eating normally now, but I still found it very odd and concerning. I come home from work and she is just lying on her floor looking very sad and sickly, but she jumps right back up to eat and holds herself very high and strong. She has a very sickly look in her eyes, but she is not dehydrated at all. Her skin is not loose at all and goes back quickly with a soft pinch, and her eyes are not sunken in. She also does get Flukers Reptaboost. She is not losing weight at all, her fat pads are as high as ever. She is just not herself and it really worries me.

I'm really worried about my sweet girl, I thought it was just relocation stress for awhile but it continued to worsen and now I'm not so sure. Nothing about her care has changed. I will take her fecal in ASAP and get her in whenever possible.

Enclosure:

Lighting:

Temps:
Basking spot: 95-100F - fluctuates often but checked with both a probe AND IR gun thermometer

Diet:
>multivitamins 2xweek
>probiotics daily

Cleaning:
Deep cleaning with diluted ammonia and let to dry for one hour before putting her back in

Humidity:

Health:
VERY alert still, will react when you pick up, get near her, or try to give meds/anything. Holds herself high up when she walks, no signs of MBD.
Hi there 👋

Well, I’ll start by saying your husbandry is amazing if not perfect! It certainly could be relocation stress, engage in calming activities with her (warm baths, snuggles, watching tv, etc…) to see if that helps at all.

If it doesn’t, a vet trip is in order as it may pose quite an issue if left unchecked. Get a fecal done to rule out parasites. Could you please post a picture? That way we can figure out just how sick this beardie is.

Other than that I’m not too sure how to help 😥 let’s have @AHBD, @xp29 and @KarrieRee have a look. They might be able to give you more help than I can. I hope your Drax gets better ❤️

babybeardie79

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drax
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better! I always worry it’s not what she needs. I’ve been working on my husbandry a longgg time. She’s my baby and I want what’s absolutely best ($1000 later… lol).
The first two images are ones I just took, she’s definitely very alert. Very very stressed. I put her on her basking rock to see if she would bask but she won’t. This is after her eating some dubias (her favorite). The last image is from when I got home from work, she was just laying there looking terrible. The bit of white on her beard is from the Flukers reptaboost. I can also send her previous lab results from when I first got her, but I’m not sure how much that would help.
IMG_0515.jpeg
IMG_0517.jpeg
IMG_0511.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!

Enclosure:

Lighting:

Temps:

Diet:
>multivitamins 2xweek
>probiotics daily

Cleaning:

Humidity:

Health:
I would invest in a longer uvb fixture - 24" for sure- the uvb should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - it may be too close - the distance you have it is set up for a T 8 - night time temps is too warm - dragons like cool and dark - 65-75- what brand is the basking bulb? Is it a daytime bulb off white or yellowish color? Poops will tell you if she's dehydrated - you want them formed dark and moist the urate formed white and moist

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What a pretty red dragon ! Almost certainly relocation stress, it wouldn't be humidity but it's stress from seeing a completely new environment out of her glass tank. Just let her settle in and see how she does. It's time to let her settle down and not really need a vet to cause more stress. She should be fine. :)

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better! I always worry it’s not what she needs. I’ve been working on my husbandry a longgg time. She’s my baby and I want what’s absolutely best ($1000 later… lol).
The first two images are ones I just took, she’s definitely very alert. Very very stressed. I put her on her basking rock to see if she would bask but she won’t. This is after her eating some dubias (her favorite). The last image is from when I got home from work, she was just laying there looking terrible. The bit of white on her beard is from the Flukers reptaboost. I can also send her previous lab results from when I first got her, but I’m not sure how much that would help. View attachment 83844 View attachment 83843 View attachment 83845
She looks great! I agree with AHBD on this one, most likely relocation stress.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom