Relocation stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

groan

Hi!
My newly homed dragon as of Thursday the 24th was fine for the first couple days except he wasnt eating. basking or lying on his hammock.

As of Sunday morning he went into his cave and hasn't come out. I understand that relocation stress can result in him hiding away and not wanting anything to do with the outside world. My question is what about the necessities?

How do i bathe him during this period. My research is telling me to leave him be and let him get through this period but if I don't bathe him, and he is a bath pooper, will this cause problems? He has not gone since we got him, he was last bathed on Wednesday the 23rd.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Baths aren't a necessity so it's OK to let him be. As long as he has proper heat gradient and proper UVB available, just keep offering him food but let him be for now unless he starts showing a black beard or starts looking like he's lost a bunch of weight.

Kashki

First thing I'd be checking is that he isn't hiding away due to other factors. My beardie had a two week settling in period where he wouldn't eat at all, but he did still bask and only hid, never slept during the day. I hear two weeks is quite excessive and he turned out to be unwell also which could have contributed. The point is, I'd be making sure the temps are correct and that he's not showing signs of anything else beforehand. If he's stressed due to the move then sure, leave him be, but if it's due to incorrect conditions or an underlying illness then it's better to address it straight away. Perhaps offering some details on the enclosure will help to rule out other factors?

groan

Original Poster
The enclosure is 48x17x24 and the basking side, on top of the log where he is usually basking, is 102. the cool side is 82-83 with varying degrees around the tank.

The previous owner had crushed walnut as a substrate and i swapped that out for ceramic tile.
The PO had a water dish, i removed it.
The PO had a CF UVB and a Daylight bulb in a small 18 inch fixture. I havnt replaced it yet but I will be getting a 24 inch or 36 inch fixture with a proper UVB tube. For now i just took out the daylight bulb and out in a second UVB.

The heat lamp is one small red 50w incandescent (didn't want to change both at once to not cause too much shock from light change) and one white 75 watt halogen. I have a second 75 watt but i want to wait till i get a dimmer switch so i can regulate the temperature. i think 2 75's will be too strong.

We put a fresh bowl of salad in every day. Today, as he was sleeping after the lights came on, we did not offer him any crickets or worms (all i have are super worms, no phoenix or silk to be found! and roaches are illegal in Ottawa, Canada)

This evening, when I just took the photos below, his head was up and he seems a bit more alert.

Thanks for your help! After seeing him this evening I am confident he is going to bounce back. we'll try some protein tomorrow morning.

20150928_205029.jpg

20150928_205035.jpg

Kashki

Sounds like you've done your research and are doing the best with what you can until you get everything sorted! Also I see he has his little head poking out of the cave. I sort of imagined he retreated in and was sleeping his days away in there. It looks like he's just scoping the place out from the safety of his cave, I imagine he is indeed fine and will be running about and eating well within a few days :)

groan

Original Poster
Well he still hasn'r come out of his cave. I don't know if he comes out at all during the day. He's eaten no greens and only a dozen insects since last thursday. tomorrow evening will be a week sinvce he arrived here.

Should I be concerned yet? I don't get a good look at him unless i move his cave and I am hesitant to do it.

yesterday morning he showed some activity after accepting a few worms. today, nothing. i know he's alive because i saw his tail move.

nervous

EDIT:
OK, After reading through many pages and guides dealing with relocation stress i see he is acting as expected and I should just relax. I'll keep an eye on him, maybe set up a camera that will activate with movement.

Kashki

I don't think the camera is necessary really. As long as he is eating and pooping normally I'd just let him settle in. Alternatively you could spend a day off around him (even just doing things in the same room) if that helps him get used to you as well. Also, you could put him on his basking spot, that might liven him up a bit.

groan

Original Poster
Kashki":3vu77ksi said:
I don't think the camera is necessary really. As long as he is eating and pooping normally I'd just let him settle in. Alternatively you could spend a day off around him (even just doing things in the same room) if that helps him get used to you as well. Also, you could put him on his basking spot, that might liven him up a bit.

Thanks Kashki,
He isn't eating and pooping. Hasn't pooped in the week we've had him at our home. Only eaten a few bugs, no veggies.

I'll give it a few more days and then I'll call the Vet to see what they think.

Kashki

groan":2lz5zvv5 said:
Kashki":2lz5zvv5 said:

Thanks Kashki,
He isn't eating and pooping. Hasn't pooped in the week we've had him at our home. Only eaten a few bugs, no veggies.

I'll give it a few more days and then I'll call the Vet to see what they think.

Actually my dragon didn't eat a thing for 2 weeks after I'd gotten him. He also didn't poop for the first week (likely nothing to poop out rather than him being a bath pooper like yours).
I ended up taking him to the vet and it turned out his pinworms had run wild during that stressful period. 24 hours after the treatment he began to eat and return to normal.

I know a lot of people might say it's not worth the vet trip just yet, but I am glad I took mine in actually. Let me know you go and if you do get a stool, make sure you hold onto it for the vet!

groan

Original Poster
Arent these also the same symptoms for Brumation?
Could it be taht its a sudden on set of brumation as well as relocation stress? ugh. :?

Kashki

groan":wrea0366 said:
Arent these also the same symptoms for Brumation?
Could it be taht its a sudden on set of brumation as well as relocation stress? ugh. :?

Could be, but that largely depends on the weather there I would guess. I don't think it's really worth worrying about though. As long as you are providing the correct conditions and food, he will be fine. If you suspect after a couple of weeks that something else is at play then hit up an experienced vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom