"Red" baby in Pet shop - I'm making an offer you can't refus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarkAtTheMoon

Original Poster
This is more of a behavior question, but I don't want to confuse things by starting another thread somewhere else. My husband is retired and kept a close eye on these two today. Seems the rescue really started coming out of his shell. So much so that we're wondering if our "probable" male Spot is really a girl. This is a question for the experts. Would a male allow another dragon, of any sex, less than half his size to lay on top of him? A new dragon in his home? Would he allow this puny dragon to climb over him on his favorite branch and take the higher basking position? Spot has always been very sweet and calm. This rescue, however, seems to get more spastic the more comfortable he becomes. He paces, he plays in the water, he tries to climb out of the enclosure, he climbs one branch and then another, he climbs on Spot and waves, etc. My husband is convinced Spot is a female. I told him you don't sex dogs and cats that way. Just because it's a lizard doesn't make it archaic (spelling?). Could the rescue's behavior be because he's not well? Or just personalities? Anyway, any thoughts?
Jessie

CalienteDragons

Hatchling Member
When you open the heat pack you will see a red line, this is where the heat comes out.. I would put that facing up in the box, don't open the heat pack until it is ready to go in the box, It starts working after it is open.. I wrap the heat pack in a layer of newspaper and put it in the bottom of the box ( heat rises, and i assume the bottom would be the coldest because it is on the flood/ground) I always use just one, its a small box and easy to heat. The heat pack will not burn the Styrofoam it doesn't get that hot.

Then i crumple some paper and fill the box about half way, I like to keep the deli cup towards the top of the box. Put the dragon in the cup with some paper towels to absorb any poo and to keep him from sliding around. Make sure the cup has air holes! some come pre punched some do not.. Tape the lid on the cup..
When you put the cup in the box tightly pack paper on the sides to keep the cup from moving side to side or tilting.. Just on the four sides, try not to cover all the air holes. Then another piece of crumpled paper on top and the the lid to the box. Wala!

I don't poke holes in the box itself i think that defeats the purpose of a insulated box, they have plenty of air for their little lungs..

Write LIVE HARMLESS on each side of the box, and use 1030 am delivery ( I use FedEx Priority overnight)

I know it is scary but i think they handle the stress better than us LOL
I have shipped tons of dragons and even had them lost in the mail for 2 days, but they seem to do just fine..

If you want to call me during the packing process that's cool too..
I love what your doing to help the little guy! I think it great!

Heidi (951) 244-7218

CalienteDragons

Hatchling Member
You cant tell the sex by behavior.. For example:
Some more aggressive females will bob their head ( a male thing) I have one adult female that actually tried to breed with another female! ( I have a picture its funny!) Did the whole process! But also has laid eggs!

Males will wave their arm ( a female thing) at other males or even females.. especially when they are youngsters..

When they are young it doesn't matter the sex on who dominates the cage, its as they get older ( Teenagers) like 4+ months males will start to fight with other males.. But even then sometimes its the female who is dominate..

Bearded dragons have huge personality's ( thats why we love them right!) and there is no way to sex them on that..

Kagome100

Juvie Member
CalienteDragons is right on that. YOu can't tell sex by how they act. Also he is still to young to even want to breed so ya your adult male will let him lay on him.

pelon14

Hi my name is jessica me and my husband have two bearded dragons right now that are about 7 weeks old, so i would like to adopt yours. i've had alot of lizards before and all got treated well. I make sure their crickets get dusted with calsium mist them at least twice a day keep them on a veggie diet too so they dont get to fat. I love bearded dragons and have all the equitment they need tanks lights vitamin sand heat and we hold them for at lease 2 hours a day so they get use to people. Thank you.

BarkAtTheMoon

Original Poster
Ethelia said:
In regards to his tail at this stage I wouldnt be concerned. Tails which have nips are often quite dark at the end and will always stay that way even when healed. Id keep an eye on it after his next shed and see whats what.

You were so right about this. He started shedding a couple of days ago and tonight after supper the nipped part of his tail just fell off with shed! He's looking much better and my shipping supplies arrived today. I hope to send him to his adoptive parents tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for everything.

Jessie

LQDragons

Juvie Member
thanks to Jessie, I'd like to introduce "Twitch" (my 13 yo son picked the name) he arrived about noon today. He went right in to a nice warm bath and proceeded to poop. Then he was introduced to his new encolsure, where he was fed, he ate about 40 dubia nymphs :D now he's basking and checking things out

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0004-4.jpg

BarkAtTheMoon

Original Poster
I just wanted to say, "Thank You!" to everyone who helped me with the health and shipping questions. I have to admit it was hard taping him up in that box, and I was a nervous wreck the whole time he was in transit, but bd.org had been right about everything else so far and it gave me the faith to do it. Again, Thanks everyone.
Jessie

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
What a cute.
I am glad that you rescued him, and got him to a good home. That was a great think that you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom