Recommended UV tubes too big, what should I do?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxVH

First of all, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place on the forums. but I think this is urgent enough to be in the ER section.

I've got two beardies I bought 6 months ago from the local reptile store. Everything was going fine until one stopped eating and wasn't active any more, they were housed together btw. I read a lot on the internet and decided to buy another terra so they could both live on their own. Then both stopped eating. We went to the vet, did a fecal check and everything was just fine. His advice was to put them back together and start giving them more veggies, so we did. We need to handfeed them everyday and almost push the veggies in their mouths to let them eat something. They also aren't interested in crickets anymore. I always thought the husbandry was alright because there was a UVB bulb recommended by the pet store in there and a standard basking spot, the temperatures also have always been good.

After some more research I came to the conclusion that the advice of getting the coiled UVB light from the pet store was really bad and that the problem lays there.

Today I was just about going to order the by this website recommended Reptisun 10.0 and then came to the conclusion that both terras I've got including the terra where the beardies are living in is too small to fit the smallest of the recommended lights which is 18 inch.

What should I do now? Buy a bigger terra or are there other smaller good lights available?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Max

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Idk how big you tank is but beardies need a 40 gallon breeder minimum for one adult. Next you definitely should separate. They are already having issues being housed together. They don't do well cohabiting. If they turn out to be males they will fight . Males can breed the females to death and females will fight. I have 3 each with their own 40gallon breeder tanks and I use a 24 inch reptisuns.

MaxVH

Original Poster
Thanks for answering so fast! I have two 14 gallon tanks. The dragons are pygmy bearded dragons, which I forgot to say in the first post. Correct me if I'm wrong but the smaller the animal, the smaller the tank, right? The pet store said that it's a perfect size for them, but I don't know if I can trust them anymore. The vet also suggested to put them back together, but if I look at the internet everybody's saying the opposite. So I don't really know who to believe. The vet also reported that one is a male and the other one is female.
I could buy another bigger tank but only if it's really necessary so they have more place and the right lighting.

Any advice/suggestions are, again, greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Max

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I would definitely give them more room. Those small tanks are really hard to get the correct temps and as you found out about the light. I would think you can find a good care sheet somewhere on Google. I know there is someone else on here having trouble with hers and she has it housed with another also so maybe separate until you can get the correct husbandry set up. You can also pm Drache613 she knows alot about dragons and probably about the ones you have. :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The smaller the animal the smaller the cage is a not such a good way to look at it. Yes, they have smaller minimum requirements, but many reptiles will happily use space you give them if it's appropriately laid out. Offering cover, hides, perches and so forth as opposed to just an large empty space. You'll be able to offer your animals more enrichment as well as a more diverse environment - bigger cages can have better thermal gradients and options for furnishing.

By pygmies do you mean Rankins Dragons? I believe they are considered more acceptable to cohabitate than the vitticeps most folks keep. I would try and look up care sheets and other information specific to the species you have, because while they are similar they may have some differences. When I looked at Rankins the breeder suggested a 20L, but I would still keep them in at least a 40 breeder.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you in Australia?
Pygmy dragons are indigenous to Australia & don't think there are any in the US.
If they are a male & female then you can house them together if you intend to breed. Otherwise, you could house them separately.
I agree, a 40 gallon would be good for housing them both.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulbs or the Arcadia D3 tube bulbs either one are great if you can find them.

Do you have pictures of them?

Tracie

MaxVH

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone!
I don't live in Australia, I actually live in Europe, Belgium to be specific.
At the store I bought them they called it pygmy bearded dragons, I don't know the exact species name though as I'll probably have to go look for that in the pet store.

I do understand that they need a bigger tank, which I was already looking around for. But as I am definitely not planning in breeding, it probably means that they need separate tanks? Or is it even possible to put them together and don't let fertile eggs hatch? I also read that it should indeed be possible to let them live together in a tank.

Images of both 14 gallon tanks I own:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-4kcNOpuHQcURPSG9Sb1gzTFU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-4kcNOpuHQdFI2YVRlcDNEd28/view?usp=sharing

Specs of the tank I'm currently using:
14 gallons
60 watt basking spot
Reptisun 10.0 compact
Some kind of reptisand from the pet store

I also have a temp gun, I don't use the thermometer 'sticker' you see in the picture.

Thanks again for the advice everyone :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
They look like Rankins (Pogona henrilawsonii) also known as Pygmy or Black Soil Bearded Dragons. They aren't as common, but there are resources out there for them.

If it's acceptable to cohabitate them (I think some people keep trios of one male two females) then yes, you could dispose of any eggs. You would want to pay close attention to any dominance problems or over-breeding. Providing multiple resources (basking spots, hides, salads etc) can help reduce bullying for "the best stuff".

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Belgium huh, welcome! :D
They do look like Rankins due to the beautiful markings. If you can get a closer shot of them too, that would be great.
You are going to be replacing the Reptisun compact 10 with a long tube bulb soon, correct, if you can? The UVB exposure would be much better.
You can house them together & if there were eggs, you can freeze them then discard them if you don't want to raise any.
What are your basking temperatures?

Tracie

MaxVH

Original Poster
Hi everyone!
One of the beardies threw up yesterday's evening and they both don't want to eat. I'm going to call our vet asap when I'm done with school.

I just checked with the pet store and they are indeed Rankins (henrilawson). My basking temps are always around 105-110 F.
I do want to get a proper reptisun tube, but it doesn't fit my Terra and the shipping costs are sky high for me.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom