Reassurence​?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Hi all, I just wanted a bit of reassurence. Our beardie Peaches seems to have gone into hibernation, he's around 18/20 months old (Rescue centre aren't certain ).
His temps and humidity are consistent with the advice on here, and hes sleeping mostly, but will sometimes sit with his eyes open. I offer him water with a dropper everyday and he'll drink maybe one in every three and sometimes have a bug with it. He did a massive bowel movements before this, and does the occasionally little poop after eating. I've been measuring us weight and it's stayed constant at 360g,which I think is a good sign? I phoned the vets and they took a fecal sample which came back clean.
My question is he's been like this for around 2 months, is this normal or should he have stopped by now?

jayce82

Juvie Member
they say brunation usually lasts between 2 and 4 months. sounds like your guy is definitely bru.ating.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah okay thank you! He's such a loud sausage usually we miss him when he's so quiet! So maybe another 2 months of sleepiness, the husband will be sad lol xx

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It does sound like he's brumation. I've found that the key is to keep offering him his normal food and water daily, and weigh him daily. If he is truly brumating he will not lose much weight at all throughout the process. However, I've seen a lot of people assume that their Beardies were brumating but in actuality they were sick, and the tip-off was they lost a lot of weight.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, I do only weigh him weekly as I do the want to overly disturb him, but his weight has stayed constant at 360, so it should be okay to keep it weekly? I offer food and water daily, though he doesn't useusally eat much? hopefully he'll be okay and will wake up soon :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom