Really cold... Bean bag heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toria88

So, it's really really cold at the moment, and I'm worried about my herps! It was a worse yesterday at -2º. Now it's warmed up a bit and is 9º outside. Well, I'm used to this weather, but my herps aren't. I have my heat up all of the way, set at 90º, but it won't get warmer than 65º inside because of the outside weather. All of my herps have a regular heat source, aside from my crestie, but I've even had to give him some heat due to this weather. So I'll get to my question! I have a bean bag heater that you can pop in the microwave, and it's made for herps. Would this be ok to put in my beardie's tank? I know they don't really feel belly heat, so I'm wondering if it would be pointless. :dontknow: I just want to put it in the corner to bump up the tank temp a little bit. Suggestions? Is this too dangerous to chance it, or would it work? Maybe if I wrapped the bean bag heater in a towel or fleece? Any input would be helpful, thanks! :)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
it's made for herps? where did you get this wonderful thing?

it sounds like a good plan, but as long as the temps don't fall too low they should be fine. what are the temps in their basking areas?

you can also put cardboard on top of the tank to help trap in heat.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Personally, I'd wrap the heater in fleece or just a bit of cloth to make sure the beardie isn't touching it directly. That sounds like a good way to keep them warm, but something else to consider might be to encourage them to brumate. Shorten the daylight hours and see if they start napping in the cool end of the cage regularly. If they do, then you can let them get down to 60 - 65 and they'll be alright for the winter. I know for a lot of local breeders here in Southern California, that's what they end up doing for the winter. :)

-Jen

Toria88

Original Poster
bunnyrut":2hr0dn58 said:
it's made for herps? where did you get this wonderful thing?

it sounds like a good plan, but as long as the temps don't fall too low they should be fine. what are the temps in their basking areas?

you can also put cardboard on top of the tank to help trap in heat.

I got it at a herpetological meeting! Or Herps Anonymous, as I like to call it lol. :lol: The basking temp in my beardie's tank is at about 101º right now. :( Which is too cold for a baby. I just cut some cardboard and put it on the top of the tank around the lights! Hopefully it helps, thanks. :)

LLLReptile":2hr0dn58 said:
Personally, I'd wrap the heater in fleece or just a bit of cloth to make sure the beardie isn't touching it directly. That sounds like a good way to keep them warm, but something else to consider might be to encourage them to brumate. Shorten the daylight hours and see if they start napping in the cool end of the cage regularly. If they do, then you can let them get down to 60 - 65 and they'll be alright for the winter. I know for a lot of local breeders here in Southern California, that's what they end up doing for the winter.

I wrapped it up in a towel and put it in there? I have read about brumating, but I have a baby. Do/can babies brumate?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, babies don't brumate, and that's a good idea about the cardboard or anything else you can use [ like a towel/small blanket] to insulate the tank.

Toria88

Original Poster
Thanks for your help, guys! Puff is getting a warm bath. :mrgreen:

548821_10151129282685566_1473152109_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom