re-evaluating the viv after our loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
So I'm asking myself all of the "What did I do wrong?" questions here after our girl passed away, and I'm doing some reading hereabouts. I want to bring another lizard in here, and I'm gonna go over everything again. Stepping up to a laser thermometer for temp management, and buying new reptisuns......
The viv is 100 gal.....4' long, 21" high with a screen hood. I have 2 - 24" reptisun 10.0's in a single light fixture that sits across the top, on top of the screen.

I've got a big piece of wood in there that is about 6" below the light at the closest and about 16" at the farthest point from the light. Some of the reading I've seen says that there shouldn't be anything between the light and the space below. Is that actually a concern? If I gotta take the screen away, then I'll have to do something different inside, cuz the wood gets close to the top and I'd have critters hopping out all over the joint, which would mean doing something different with the light as well. Bump that light without the screen to support it and it falls into the tank.

tank.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
I would really suggest using only one reptisun, 2 is overkill. You can put a regular florescent in the other space if you want. It is best if you can manage nothing in between the UVB and dragon but if you can't as least you have a nice tall stick so the dragon can get close enough.
I rigged up some thing so I can hang the fixture inside the cage but still use the screen lid.

SargeUSMC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was thinking about mounting the fixture to the underside of the screen top....that would bring it that much closer, but make the durn thing a pain to manage.......not to mention I'd have to cut away the top frame center support......got any photos of your setup?

I miss my dragon............

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'm sorry for your loss. For what its worth, I don't think you did anything wrong. I don't have any pics but I will charge my camera and take some. If I don't get them up tonight, I will tomorrow.

EDIT: here they are. Excuse the mess and dust, tank is being rearranged.

Not very pretty but it works well. made from thick metal, it could be painted to look better.
3132j9l.jpg

See how it fits in the groove?
33e60zk.jpg

20h2eio.jpg

how the fixture is attached. you could use small decorative chain to adjust height.
35db32c.jpg

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Instead of dealing with the big hood light I had (which was almost as long as the tank), I got a new fixture from WAL*MART for $9 and attached it to the back glass with $3 of "Industrial Strength" velcro.

front.png

back.png

Hanging from the top seems easier to get it in place over the basking spot, but I am not very crafty and almost had a disaster just doing that. I am going to try to design some fake rocks once he's in the clear for pinworms+coccidia. :)

Just another idea depending on your skill levels and stuff you've worked with before.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Morning Sarge,
Sorry for your loss, I would also agree with the suggestions to find a way to Mcguyver your light into the viv. 1 reptisun is more than enough.
I would also cover the sides and back of the tank with whatever strikes your fancy. It will reduce visual stress on a young dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom