Ravenous appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duriel

I know some of you are probably mad at me for having a (for now) healthy eating fatty, but puff seems to have a bottomless stomach. He's about 9 inches now (haven't weighed him but he's pretty chubs). So far the record is 100 ~1/4" dubia in one feeding (I stopped after that as that costs about $5)!!! I even got a bag of 30 large crickets from the pet store just to see if he could take them (definitely more mass than 100 small dubia.) Well it turns out crickets are pretty dumb and most stayed in his feeding bowl as he ravaged them. 4 hopped away and he chased them down. Basically, he eats like a prisoner fresh out! He'll only eat his veggie mix if live food doesn't present itself for about 6 hours, so maybe I should move him to 2 live feedings a day instead of 3 and give more veggies? (he will finish them) Also he will eat anything I dangle in front of his face (his favorite way to eat waxworms.) I even dangled a full collard green leaf and he snatched it and it was rather amusing to watch him chomp on it. If I wave my finger by itself he will try to eat it (use tongue to bring it to his mouth.)

I've really got to record him on a feeding spree. He truly eats like it's been weeks when it's been hours. :blob8:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since he is so young yet, I would keep him on the 3 feeding a day of all the protein he wants to eat in a 10 to 15 minute time frame each time. The 1/4" dubia are very small but would stick mainly with those. Large crickets are actually too big for a 9" beardie, they should be no larger than the space between his eyes. The back legs on large crickets are very big, sharp and hard, difficult for him to get down and digest so that is a concern.

I wouldn't worry about him not eating too many veggies and greens now, he needs LOTS of protein so that's why his body is craving it.

Duriel

Original Poster
I should have specified that the crickets fit between his eyes (petstore "large"... unsure of actual dimensions.) He's getting big fast. Actually measured him, about 9.5"

C90BE76E-FC43-4922-B315-8A389DBAC063-2581-000009AC0EAFD33C.jpg

Last weekend. He's almost done with his shed now (one leg to go.)

F4716AC0-A8C1-4816-B704-3A4541A72830-2581-000009B0928EDB01.jpg

Pic unrelated. The frogs are meeting to overthrow my dictatorship and install a puppet democracy.

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
I thought my guy had a good appetite! WOW yours can eat!

Angel is about 5 months old 11", kinda slender from dragons I've seen that length...thinner than yours!
The other day he ate 25 3/8" ( mostly under 3/8") crickets and about 12 or 15 small meal worms, I think that might be his limit, but he still hunted down the runaways.
Afterwards he turned dark and slept a lot, I've only had him a week, he never did that before, later on he didn't eat much greens, but gobbled up the apple pieces.

I better get a Dubai colony going!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can give him the amount of live feeders 2-3 times a day, but also keep up with the leafy greens. So if he's eagerly waiting on his 3rd feeding, give him as many good veggies as he'll eat first, it's a good habit to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom