Rapidly Fatal Illness

I recently lost my four year old beardie after a very rapid illness, with no specific signs that I could identify regarding a cause. Obviously, it’s too late for her, but I’m curious if anyone might have any insight into what had happened here.

About two weeks before, she had gone into her hide and slept for days at a time. This was not unusual for her; she goes into light brumation around the start of fall each year. As I have done every year, I pulled her out about every 7 to 10 days, gave her a bath, and offered her water and food. She typically stays up for a day or two, and goes back to sleep.

This time, I pulled her out after about seven or eight days down, and other than her usual “why did you pull me out of bed?” glare, she seemed to be her normal self. She had her bath, drank a bit, and even ate a couple of Dubias (no encouragement needed). I expected her to go back to her usual pattern.

However, the next day she had not gone into her hide and looked terrible. She was laying with her mouth slightly open, which I’d never seen do before, and she seemed swollen around her eyes. There was nothing visibly wrong inside her mouth, and there was no redness, crusting, or swelling of the eyes themselves. She was blackbearding even before I took her out of her cage.

She was very sluggish, and had trouble keeping her eyes open. Her abdomen was not tender, hard, or distended, and she was not coughing, or struggling to breathe. She did not have any skin rashes, ulcers, wounds, or any other identifiable abnormality, other than looking really sick in general and swollen around her eyes. I put her under her basking lamp, and gave her water.

The next day, she looked even worse. She was hanging off her perch and halted partway through a bowel movement. She was almost completely limp, and only intermittently responsive. Again, she looked terrible, but no local identifiable abnormality other than the nonspecific eye swelling. I listened to her heart and lungs with a stethoscope (I’m a human physician), and they were clear. She took a few drops of water from a syringe, but that was it.

She died the next day. I wasn’t able to get her to see her vet in time, and based on my experience with humans, the way she looked before she died leads me to doubt it would’ve made any difference.

I’m assuming this was sepsis from an infection, but I’m at a loss of the cause or source. I’m posting a few pictures of her shortly before she died, in case anyone here recognizes something.
811445BB-F89C-4252-8BB0-B90C2C4C491C.jpeg

Attachments

• 845D8721-280C-4A70-B25A-908F6EDC8D22.jpeg
    845D8721-280C-4A70-B25A-908F6EDC8D22.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 38B83200-0307-46C7-B3B9-C53CFEF25C17.jpeg
    38B83200-0307-46C7-B3B9-C53CFEF25C17.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 74

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recently lost my four year old beardie after a very rapid illness, with no specific signs that I could identify regarding a cause. Obviously, it’s too late for her, but I’m curious if anyone might have any insight into what had happened here.

About two weeks before, she had gone into her hide and slept for days at a time. This was not unusual for her; she goes into light brumation around the start of fall each year. As I have done every year, I pulled her out about every 7 to 10 days, gave her a bath, and offered her water and food. She typically stays up for a day or two, and goes back to sleep.

This time, I pulled her out after about seven or eight days down, and other than her usual “why did you pull me out of bed?” glare, she seemed to be her normal self. She had her bath, drank a bit, and even ate a couple of Dubias (no encouragement needed). I expected her to go back to her usual pattern.

However, the next day she had not gone into her hide and looked terrible. She was laying with her mouth slightly open, which I’d never seen do before, and she seemed swollen around her eyes. There was nothing visibly wrong inside her mouth, and there was no redness, crusting, or swelling of the eyes themselves. She was blackbearding even before I took her out of her cage.

She was very sluggish, and had trouble keeping her eyes open. Her abdomen was not tender, hard, or distended, and she was not coughing, or struggling to breathe. She did not have any skin rashes, ulcers, wounds, or any other identifiable abnormality, other than looking really sick in general and swollen around her eyes. I put her under her basking lamp, and gave her water.

The next day, she looked even worse. She was hanging off her perch and halted partway through a bowel movement. She was almost completely limp, and only intermittently responsive. Again, she looked terrible, but no local identifiable abnormality other than the nonspecific eye swelling. I listened to her heart and lungs with a stethoscope (I’m a human physician), and they were clear. She took a few drops of water from a syringe, but that was it.

She died the next day. I wasn’t able to get her to see her vet in time, and based on my experience with humans, the way she looked before she died leads me to doubt it would’ve made any difference.

I’m assuming this was sepsis from an infection, but I’m at a loss of the cause or source. I’m posting a few pictures of her shortly before she died, in case anyone here recognizes something. View attachment 75007
We need Tracie to help you she's the vet tech mod here -- I am sorry to hear - dragons are / can be so confusing- :(
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am terribly sorry you lost her so suddenly. Since you mentioned her eyes & they were a
bit swollen, my first thought would be renal or heart failure. It looks like she is a leatherback?
At that point, it was so quick, there likely wasn't going to be anything the vet could have done if one
of the organs were in failure.
What makes it even harder is that she hadn't exhibited any symptoms prior to just recently. Has she
ever had any issues with eggs or not?
The forearm looks a bit puffy but not bad so possible gout?
My condolences, it is horrible to lose them. :cry:

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im sorry to hear you lost your beardie. I lost one back in April in a similar manner, she was fine when i went to work and was dying when i got home. It isn't easy, we get so attached to them, I am truely sorry you have had to go through this, my condolences.

Pumpkingirl

Aw man, my heart aches for you. I just lost my beardie 4 days ago in a similar manner. He didn’t display many symptoms either.., and was blackbearding the morning before I took him to the vet. His health rapidly declined and he died 4 hours later :( he looked just like yours in the pic.. just laying like that. I don’t think the vet would have been able to make a difference for yours either. Again, so so sorry for your loss.

Blackbeardie

Original Poster
Tracie,

Thank you for your thoughts. Regarding your questions:

1. She was a leatherback.

2. She didn’t have any swelling anywhere else except her eyes, so I’m less inclined to think it was kidney or heat failure.

3. No issues with eggs. She produced 1-2 clutches per year for several years, and had hers a couple of months earlier. Nothing to be felt in her abdomen.

4. I did lose a different beardie to gout, and her limbs didn’t look like his at all. He was also very reluctant to move for months before he was diagnosed; no such issues with Smaug.

I know that a firm answer is probably impossible short of necropsy, and even that might not be diagnostic. I am just trying to draw on the collective knowledge here to see if there is something about it that jumps out to anyone. She probably won’t be my last beardie, and if this related to something I did or failed to do, I hope to avoid making the same mistake again. I do appreciate people’s thoughts and condolences.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wish I could help more. Sometimes necropsy doesn't give definitive answers either. I don't
believe it was anything that you did, unfortunately things go wrong so quickly with reptiles.
I hope you can find some type of closure, as this type of pain stays with you a long time.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom