Rankins Dragon barely eats

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda1203

Original Poster
Hi, I'm really sorry for not responding, but I was on a vacation visiting my family and have been busy. It was a five day trip and he was left with tons of water, 50 mealworms and a lot of collard greens. He only ate the collard greens. I'm getting a better pic right now. It should be up by tomorrow. I think I'm going to give my dragon away or back to the breeder, as he seems like he needs a lot of help and im a first time dragon owner.I have a couple of very knowledgeable friends with bearded dragons and a great pet store( family owned and not chain, all their care seems right). Also I got all my info from care sheets, I know pet stores care can be a bit off. Please help with the choice.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Where are you located? How old is your dragon? Mealworms are not very good feeders. Are you providing him/her with a uvb? If so, what brand? Is the uvb a coil light or tube? How are you taking the temps in the enclosure? I would talk with the breeder before trying to rehome to someone else. Not many people are experienced with rehabbing dragons.

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
If you have experienced friends why would you leave him alone for five days when he might have a health issue?

redpanda1203

Original Poster
My dragon isn't doing well. I feel he would be better off to stay at a pet store( family owned, accurate care info, specializing in reptiles). He just requires about 2 hours of help a day because he refuses live food and has only eaten collards and baby food. He has definitely been losing wait as he hasn't eaten any live food I have offered for 2 months. I've offered everything they have locally. Hornworms crickets butterworts mealworms. He won't eat live food. Please help me decide. He is a rankins so he is supposed to eat more live food but he just won't. Help ASAP.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
redpanda1203":epmpft0e said:
My dragon isn't doing well. I feel he would be better off to stay at a pet store( family owned, accurate care info, specializing in reptiles). He just requires about 2 hours of help a day because he refuses live food and has only eaten collards and baby food. He has definitely been losing wait as he hasn't eaten any live food I have offered for 2 months. I've offered everything they have locally. Hornworms crickets butterworts mealworms. He won't eat live food. Please help me decide. He is a rankins so he is supposed to eat more live food but he just won't. Help ASAP.

Rankins as I understand can also brumate in the winter, that may also be a factor at play. I can't remeber, were you tracking his weight with a scale or just eyeballing it?

Have you taken your little one to a qualified reptile vet to make sure he doesn't have any illnesses, parasites etc? Or perhaps discussed with the pet store or breeder you got him from what their other dragons are up to this time of year.

If you do decide to give him up, you could also see if anyone on here would take him for you.

redpanda1203

Original Poster
I'm young(only 11) so my parents wouldn't want me to meet up with a stranger, but if I was older I would definitely do that. I have just been eyeballing it, but he definitely is losing weight. He can't be bromating for 2 months, now he is just sitting still with his eyes open tucked underneath a hide(he isn't smushed I checked). His stool looks very healthy so he doesn't have parasites I don't think. It has a white piece on the end and is very solid. I don't want to give him away because I don't want him, its because I love him. I want to do whatever is best for him and I think that he would be better off with someone else. One of my brother's friends has a couple of bearded dragons that are very healthy so that could be an option. I was worried a month ago, but now I'm extremely worried. I don't know what is happening, as on the first day he was extremely active and would walk around. He chased a hornworm but only licked it, not eat it. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. Wait, I forgot to mention something. When I gave him a bath he drank a ton of water then threw some water up, also a little orange thing came out onto his lip, could that be a sign of a sickness?

redpanda1203

Original Poster
this is what it is like: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=214372

Except he will eat collard greens and baby food without force. I hope its not a kidney failure. He isn't active anymore and usually sleeps but opens his eyes occasionally, I just don't know what my parents reaction will to be to me saying he would do better with a more experienced owner.

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
Because of your age and limitations I think you should in fact give him to someone who can take him to a vet.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Maybe talk to your parents and tell them you feel over your head with them, I hope they would understand that. Let them know you think he is sick, but that it can be hard to tell and maybe together you and your parents can try to find a good vet in your area. A vet may also be able to help you feel a bit more at ease if it is brumation or help you find the best way to get the little guy a better home. I totally understand you want what's best for him and don't want to have to rehome him, hopefully your parents will understand as well.

At any rate, It will be difficult for anyone on this site to asses his condition or any illness and a good vet should be able to help you. I'm not sure how long brumation lasts in rankins, but vitticepts can be inactive for months.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
redpanda1203":2zzri1mj said:
this is what it is like: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=214372

Except he will eat collard greens and baby food without force. I hope its not a kidney failure. He isn't active anymore and usually sleeps but opens his eyes occasionally, I just don't know what my parents reaction will to be to me saying he would do better with a more experienced owner.
I think you linked the wrong thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom