Random Gaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stygma

My dragon has been randomly gaping for the last hour or so. He's not opening his mouth fully, only about half-way, and he's not puffing up his beard. He stops whenever I look at him. I've been keeping his temperatures somewhere around 98-105. He has a sand substrate (washed and sifted playsand ONLY). He's on a diet of Silkworms and Dandelion Greens mainly. He gets about 8 hours of UVB a day.

Could this be a respiratory infection?

EDIT: He's eating, and seems fairly active (he's running laps in his tank :p)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gaping is his way of thermoregulating, normally.
Do you hear any clicking, popping or wheezing type of noises? Have you seen any mucous in his nostrils or mouth? Is his saliva thicker than normal, stringy or off colored?
What do you measure your temps with? A stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
How close is his basking light to him? What type & brand of UVB are you using? A flourescent tube bulb or a coil or compact or a mercury vapor bulb?

Tracie

Stygma

Original Poster
I'm aware that gaping is used to regulate body temperature, but he was doing while outside the tank as well. No strange noises thus far, and no mucous in his nose. I haven't checked his mouth (do I just hold it open or something?). I take the temps with a digital probe thermometer. There are two bulbs in this particular viv; a Repti Glo 10.0 Coil for UVB, although I'm limiting its use to avoid any eye damage, and a 100W Sun Glo Basking Spot-lamp.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Looking in the mouth is tricky! If he doesn't willingly open, then try to get a swab to get his mouth open quickly.
If he is gaping outside of the tank, he may be having some trouble breathing perhaps, unless he is just being more aggressive.
Are you replacing the Reptiglo 10 coil light? He is not getting adequate UVB exposure through that, so it does need to be replaced when you can manage, ok? :D He wont be able to absorb calcium properly without the correct wavelength UVB spectrum.
Since you are using a digital probe the temps should be fine, no problems there. Let me know how things are going.

Tracie

Stygma

Original Poster
I managed to get a look in his mouth. The saliva looks to be a little stringy. He continues to half-gape, although he never beards. Yesterday he was looking fine, although today I'm noticing stress marks on his belly. Looking at his nose, I'm not sure if his nostrils are blocked. If I look at it directly, there seems to be a blockage, but if I change the angle I'm looking at him on, it seems fine. He's eating and seems decently active, although not as much as yesterday. Is this a vet-worthy problem? (Vets around here are VERY expensive, as herp vets are very specialized and hard to find.)

As for the light. He seems to be fine with it. While I was setting him up, he had to go without UVB for a week (had to wait to get paid in order to buy the light.) Soon as I installed the lamp, I noticed a drastic increase in mood. He was more active, and lively. Generally he just seemed happier. I'm aware of the problems with the Repti Glo compacts, and I would have liked to get a better bulb, but again it comes down to money. I'm limiting its use to avoid any eye damage, but if he's not getting proper UVB, I'll have to replace it - although how long that will take remains to be seen. Certainly its better than having no UVB whatsoever.

Back to the problem at hand. I suspect the beginnings of a Respiratory Infection, although how that would have come about is beyond me. The temperatures are good and the humidity is low. The only explaination that comes to mind is that its November, and the temperature of the house is dropping. Maybe its too cold for him of a night-time?

Hoping to get this resolved quickly,

Alan

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Alan,

Well, if it is the beginnings of a respiratory infection you should be able to nip it quickly. I would keep it a little warmer in the tank if possible right now to boost his immune system. Get some bee pollen to help with immune system also.
The problem with the Reptiglo 10 compact is not just the possibility of eye damage, but overall health being affected. He is just not getting the necessary wavelength that helps him synthesize D3 or absorb calcium. In turn, what that does, is lower his immune system which allows him to be more vulnerable to getting an infection. That is why he could be stressed.
If he is kept under that light for a prolonged period of time, it is possible that he could begin suffering from hypocalcemia & then later on Metabolic Bone Disease.
I really suggest, that as soon as you can to try & get a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. They are only a little more than $20 at:
http://www.petmountain.com
You could buy that instead of going to the vet right now & see if that will help him improve first.

Tracie

Stygma

Original Poster
I'll try getting the temps up a little bit and see how it does him. As for the light, that requires me to buy a whole new fixture; I've only got two dome reflectors for this viv. So its $40+ CAD for the fixture, and then another $18 for the bulb, after I just spent 20-odd-dollars on that stupid Repti Glo. I don't have the cash for that kind of stuff at the moment, and its too cold to take him out in the sun now. Any suggestions?

Stygma

Original Poster
Success! I found an old 18" Fluorescent fixture in my basement, exactly the right wattage. I've modified a little (since it was originally for a desk >.>) but it seems to work perfectly now as a viv lighting fixture! I'll buy a proper one, for sure; but for now, this should due. Reptisun 10, correct?

EDIT: Also, I've added an incandescent bulb to raise the temperature a bit. That should help, right?

Heres a picture of him. He gapes like that even when out of the tank.

2.jpg

dreshany

Hatchling Member
I suggest you take a look at craigslist for your area. Often there are people who sell second hand equipment for little or no money. Be persistent and look every Friday morning, deals will come your way. Try under the discussion area under pets.
You might also post in the set up area and see if anyone has any ideas to set up a cheap lighting system. I have seen some very clever ideas.

Stygma

Original Poster
Well, I'll deal with the lighting seperatly. As it stands, I have a cheap, albeit makeshift soloution until I can afford a proper fixture. As for the gaping, we'll see how he is tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Great, so you found a fixture then? How is the other basking light working, did it raise the temps enough for him now?
Is he gaping as much today?
Remember also, to try & keep him a little warmer during the nighttime hours to help boost his immune system, too. That should help alot. You could find a nice fleece blankie & wrap him up in that too.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Stygma

Original Poster
Will he sleep if he's wrapped up like that? LOL.

No gaping so far today, although its still pretty early. Going to grab the Reptisun 10.0 later today.
I'll post if theres any changes.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Right after hitting POST I looked over and he was gaping. He also seems to be licking his lips alot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh doesn't that just figure?! :mrgreen: Of course, he is just trying to give you a hard time.
Well, it will take a little while for any symptoms of a respiratory infection to go away though. So just keep trying & make sure his temps are optimal so his immune system can function properly.
Is he thirsty possibly? Try to give him some oral fluids if possible.

Tracie

Stygma

Original Poster
Will do. He usually only drinks from his bath though. Not too sanitary. As for the light, my usual petstore is closed mondays, so I went to a different one to get the bulb. Unfortunatly, they only carry Hagen (Exo-terra) bulbs. I wasn't sure if the Repti Glo 10.0 STRIP is any better, so I didn't buy it. Also, would a infa-red heat lamp (also by Exo-terra; damn brand loyalty) work of a night-time to keep him warm? The ceramic heaters are quite expensive, so is this a viable alternative? What about under-tank heating?

So many questions!

Stygma

Original Poster
Alright, I've placed a conventional heating pad under where he sleeps.
It should provide enough warmth of a nighttime.
Other than this morning, he hasn't gaped.

I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Perhaps this has something to do with it. I opened my silkworm container and realized that it was absolutely filthy. It seems no matter how many times I sift and seperate, the worms still manage to poop EVERYWHERE and then ROLL in it. Thinking of switching main feeder. Suggestions for a 9 month old beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom