Ran out of crickets for my baby!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently got a baby bearded dragon this weekend and I didn't take into consideration the holiday weekend. I ran out of crickets!!! I didn't know he'd be eating 30-50 crickets daily. Would it be okay for him to be fed phoenix worms 3 times daily including his greens in the morning over the weekend until I can get crickets? I was told not to buy crickets from local pet stores because you don't know where they're coming from so I order 3/8 inch from timberlinefisheries.com. Also, do I need to gutload the phoenix worms? If so, what do I feed them to do this? I keep them in their little containers because I was told they could thrive in them as long as the substrate stays moist. I think it's sawdust, so I rinse the worms off before I feed them to the baby so they don't harm his digestive system.

Thanks for the help!!

p.s.: when I'm feeding crickets should I dust every single cricket he eats or just one meal of crickets? Normally what I do is mist him around 6:30am when I wake up and turn his UV lights on, wait an hour, give him a small bowl of greens, wait 2 hours give him dusted crickets, wait 3 hours and give him phoenix worms, wait 3 hours and give him dusted crickets, and then wait 2 hours to mist and shut of the lights.

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
You can feed your baby pw as long as they are not bigger than his head, and you do not need to dust them as they already contain lots of good calcium. As far as dusting your crixs with calcium powder, you should do this 5x's a week (1x a day). A diet that is varied is the best for your baby.

Hope this helps.

MusikalMadness

Original Poster
dobiegil2000":afb2d said:
You can feed your baby pw as long as they are not bigger than his head, and you do not need to dust them as they already contain lots of good calcium. As far as dusting your crixs with calcium powder, you should do this 5x's a week (1x a day). A diet that is varied is the best for your baby.

Hope this helps.

I fed him a couple pw that were slightly bigger than his head because I didn't think it would make too big of a difference since they were fairly soft. Do you think the few that I gave him could do a lot of damage? From now on I will sift for the smaller ones.

He has regular bowl movements (one to two times a day) and still eats plenty so I assume they didn't affect him too much.

Thank you for the help!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
No he will be fine.I wouldnt make a habit of it but if he pooped and because they are soft bodied I am sure he will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom