Raising Multiple dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
New to this site and to dragon keeping.We have three 9 week old dragons, all female that are currently kept in a 40 gallon reptile tank. I am planning on upgrading to three individual enclosures in the next three months. I was just wondering if anyone has tips/advice for me on keeping multiple dragons?

Thanks for all the help

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It's pretty much the same as keeping one, only there's more of them. ;) Is there something specific you're wondering about? The more there are, the harder it is to give individual attention.
If there's any way to bump up the time frame on getting their own enclosures, I STRONGLY recommend it, as a 5 month old dragon can easily be 15-17 inches and they are not going to be happy to be all over each other in a 40 gallon. 40 gallons is the bare bones minimum for one full grown dragon, and the majority of their growing is done in this first 6 months.
Oh, and sexing before 6 months-1 year is very iffy unless you had a knowledgeable vet do it, so don't be too horribly surprised if one or more of them turns out male.

absolutbill

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply.

I just built the stand for the tank that they are in now and researching plans for how we will build their permanent homes. I will most likely be starting on the first one in the next few weeks and ill do my best to get them done ASAP. They belong to me, my wife and A friend who lives in our house with us so the viv's may be as unique as the dragons.

Hopefully the sexing is good and they will all stay female, it was hard enough deciding on names the first time :). I got them from a florida breeder at a local herp show who seems pretty knowlegable and nice so hopefully no sex changes.

I was mostly interested in behavioral tips, eating habits with more than one dragon in a cage and any dominance issues I should watch our for? The dragons are 20, 19 and 9 grams each so we are watching to see if Sage the smallest one is getting enough to eat.

absolutbill

Original Poster
Well, currently my biggest problem is after I put crickets into the cage. They seem to hole up in the very fancy and expensive drift wood logs I purchased at the local pet store and then come out late at night when everyone is a sleep.

Do I need to find different backing spots or is there some other way of feeding that not so many crickets will be able to run and hide. The dragons get alot of the crickets but lose interest quickly and a good deal escape and go into hiding.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
The best soultion is to feed in a seperate feeding tub or take the furniture out before feeding.Its actually very important not to allow them to remain in the tank because crix are nasty little bugs and they can and will bite and harass your beardies.As for keeping multiple beardies.I have four at the moment and they do keep you a tad busy but its the kind of busy you dont mind.The easiest way is to make a scheduled regimine for them so you know that all of them get the care they need daily and yes definately house them seperately this will ensure happy healthy beardies :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom