Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new 4 month old beardie and set up everything according to spec for his viv but he's worrying me. He is getting skittish when I try to pick him up, doesn't eat handfed crickets, and when I try to pick him up he swallows air and puffs all up like hes terrified. He does the same in baths and doesn't drink but every other day, never in his bath. He eats about five crickets a day, after that he is uninterested. Is this normal? I try to handle him everyday. His colors don't seem any different either.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
How long ago did you get him?

They can go through quite a bit of stress (lowered appetite, stress marks, hiding, etc)
for up to a couple of weeks when they first come home. They usually calm down eventually.

Mine still puff up when they get thier baths -- although once they are in there, they enjoy it
and won't come out until the water cools off, so don't worry about that -- they need thier baths
to stay well hydrated (they absorb water through thier vents while in the bath).

As for being skittish and not wanting to be held -- just give it time. Be patient and gentle but
firm in handling. Remember, at his size, in the wild, he would be near the bottom of the food
chain and everything that is bigger than him might be wanting to eat him.

He'll take some time to understand that you aren't a predator and aren't going to hurt him.
Some of the taming techniques (see other threads in here) can help with that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom