Quick question about my bearded dragons ears when he took a bath

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I gave my bearded dragon a bath. He kept laying down to the point where his ears would be submerged in the water. I would pick him back up when he did this. It wasn’t a long bath. Will he have water in or other issues with his ears? Thank you!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Be carefull when picking him up from the water. If he drank some and didn't swallow it, it might be in his beard and he could aspirate it if you pick him up by surprise.
Mine didn't like baths either but I tried around a little and found out, he likes to get his belly rubbed. So now he likes to get bathed if he can hold on to my finger and gets his belly rubbed at the same time 🤣 yes he's a diva but we're working upwards from here and maybe you can find something yours likes and make him enjoy his baths as well while bonding with him....

His ears should be fine btw but dry him off as good as possible after bathing.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Be carefull when picking him up from the water. If he drank some and didn't swallow it, it might be in his beard and he could aspirate it if you pick him up by surprise.
Mine didn't like baths either but I tried around a little and found out, he likes to get his belly rubbed. So now he likes to get bathed if he can hold on to my finger and gets his belly rubbed at the same time 🤣 yes he's a diva but we're working upwards from here and maybe you can find something yours likes and make him enjoy his baths as well while bonding with him....

His ears should be fine btw but dry him off as good as possible after bathing.
Ok, thank you! That is good to know. I don’t think he drank any. I was trying to clean off his face which made him back up and lay down. The other couple of times I give him baths, he is just up and trying to get out

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Ok, thank you! That is good to know. I don’t think he drank any. I was trying to clean off his face which made him back up and lay down. The other couple of times I give him baths, he is just up and trying to get out
I’ve only given him two baths. The first time I wrapped him in a towel and dried him. The second time he was annoyed, so I put him on his basking. And wiped him with a paper towel a little bit. Is the second time not drying him well going to do anything? I will dry him better in the future.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I’ve only given him two baths. The first time I wrapped him in a towel and dried him. The second time he was annoyed, so I put him on his basking. And wiped him with a paper towel a little bit. Is the second time not drying him well going to do anything? I will dry him better in the future.
He'll be fine. Just dry him well in the future. They are dessert animals and like it dry, plus moisture can promote the growth of bacteria, especially between the scales. A small risk but also easily avoided and not worth taking.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Strong signs he's not comfortable and probably scared. As mentioned, try to find something that he likes and that gives him comfort. You don't want him to associate you with negativ experiences.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
He'll be fine. Just dry him well in the future. They are dessert animals and like it dry, plus moisture can promote the growth of bacteria, especially between the scales. A small risk but also easily avoided and not worth taking.
Ok, thank you! Sometimes I will mist him. Should I dry him off after that too?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Ok, thank you! Sometimes I will mist him. Should I dry him off after that too?
If he doesn't lick off water from his snout, I would not mist him at all. As mentioned, they live in a dessert like environment and do not need baths or misting.
I give Luis his water with an eyedroper daily or every other day. Or once a week right now as he's brumating...

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
If he doesn't lick off water from his snout, I would not mist him at all. As mentioned, they live in a dessert like environment and do not need baths or misting.
I give Luis his water with an eyedroper daily or every other day. Or once a week right now as he's brumating...
Ok, thank you! Sometimes I do it when he’s shedding, and I’ve seen him lick it a couple of times.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom